Texas Hunting Forum

Lubbock area duck hunting

Posted By: pschattle15

Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/06/12 02:49 PM

Anybody know of areas around Lubbock to go in search of some water to duck hunt in this upcoming season? Im not looking for a handout as to exact locations but more on the which direction to go looking for a tank so that i can find my own tank to get permission on. Thanks in advance!

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/06/12 03:38 PM

2years of drought going on here, I know of no where other than in the city that there is any water. If you find some you better snag it quick. I think Idalou/Pettersburg area caught more rain than others around. You might check out that area. Good luck.

Posted By: Mission160

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/13/12 02:30 AM

We had a couple great spots just north of Ralls when I was at TECH back in the 90's. We didn't have the internet to scout either. I would jump on Google Maps and find water or low spots then simply put some miles on your truck. We scouted hundreds of miles and got permission to hunt 3 different properties. Duck hunting the Lubbock area is some of my best memories of college. Good luck!

Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/13/12 05:10 AM

For the most part, stay east of Lubbock. Most of our hunting was south of 62/82, but had good hunts north as well. Petersburg, Ralls, Lorenzo, Floydada, Crosbyton, Slaton, good hunting can be found pretty much anywhere in the area that has water. The best thing is the larger playas will hold ducks, geese, and cranes. Don't really remember landowner names anymore since I have moved away or I would pass them on. Most landowners will allow free hunting for waterfowl and cranes, but 50/50 on pheasants. Good luck.

Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/13/12 12:59 PM

Trash fish and cull bucks.... Awesome name.

Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/13/12 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Trash fish and cull bucks.... Awesome name.

Thanks, kind of fits me well. If the trout and redfish (or bass), aren't biting, I'm more than happy to switch over to hardheads and croaker (or bluegill and mudcats). Plus, I like to bowfish. Also don't think I've ever passed up an opportunity for a mature cull (if I'm invited to hunt somebody's property, I usually just try to help them out with their culls rather than go for the bigger deer).

Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/14/12 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
For the most part, stay east of Lubbock. Most of our hunting was south of 62/82, but had good hunts north as well. Petersburg, Ralls, Lorenzo, Floydada, Crosbyton, Slaton, good hunting can be found pretty much anywhere in the area that has water. The best thing is the larger playas will hold ducks, geese, and cranes. Don't really remember landowner names anymore since I have moved away or I would pass them on. Most landowners will allow free hunting for waterfowl and cranes, but 50/50 on pheasants. Good luck.

Yep, pretty much how it was for us as well. Although we did well NW of Lubbock and sometimes south of Lubbock. I think the real Honey Pots are just off the caprock. Remember one morning i was Muley hunting and watched a wad of Green fly from below the rim up top, probably to feed in the fields.

Competition got steep in the last couple of years but I think we were usually competing against outfitters and other college kids.

Posted By: ciscooutdoorsman

Re: Lubbock area duck hunting - 08/15/12 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: TTUGrad08

Competition got steep in the last couple of years but I think we were usually competing against outfitters and other college kids.

I agree. Cant compete with people that are willing to cash out money when we barely have enough to get by in the first place. Best of luck looking for places, were always trying to add to our number of properties so we can rotate if possible

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum