Texas Hunting Forum

Spring food plot suggestions

Posted By: shakebaker

Spring food plot suggestions - 01/04/18 02:03 AM

Have never planted a spring or summer plot on our place but want to try this year. Our place is near Gatesville. Any suggestions and time frame appreciated.
Posted By: Paydirt

Re: Spring food plot suggestions - 01/04/18 02:20 AM

If you can disk and drag, I planted pinto beans last year outside of Gatesville. Cheapest and easy to grow. Bought them at Sam's for $.50/lb in the 50 lb bag, disked the area, slung the beans with a pull behind spreader, and lightly disked over again. Came up great, but my plot was not big enough to keep up with the deer population. I put up an electric fence to try and deter them but it only lasted a couple of weeks. They found them when they were about 6" tall and had the 1 acre plot ate to the ground in a week. 50 lbs to the acre is about the right rate and a little fertilizer to get them going.
Posted By: shakebaker

Re: Spring food plot suggestions - 01/04/18 02:22 AM

Never even would have thought of that as a crop. Thanks for the idea and can definitely do all you suggested
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Spring food plot suggestions - 01/07/18 07:31 PM

Iron & Clay cowpeas will keep coming back all summer and very drought resistant.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Spring food plot suggestions - 01/07/18 08:48 PM

When is the best time to start planting?
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Spring food plot suggestions - 01/07/18 11:25 PM

Depending on location again but mid to late March in my area. If you know anyone that plants a garden talk to them, see when they plant their above ground veggies not potatoes.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Spring food plot suggestions - 01/09/18 12:01 AM

I always wait until my pecan trees start leafing. Old wives tale says no more freezes. I've got an old wife so it must be true. Anyway it always works for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum