Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for advice

Posted By: TAT

Looking for advice - 11/02/17 07:58 PM

Ok here's the question I have. I'm wanting to start doing spring food plots this coming year. My land is in Northeast Texas. Franklin county. I've done food plots the last two years for fall and have had decent results. I rented a water tanker this year to water it. So, what is good to plant in that area for a spring summer plot that will help draw deer and get them some protein or good groceries to eat anyway. I'm only going to plant about 10acres. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My ph is 6.5. This coming years plots will be done way better than I have done the last two years. I'll have way better machinery!!! Thanks for yalls help.

This year I disc, drug, seeded(oats,clover,wheat, and rye) then drug again. It loks very nice and helped i watered it with tanker I rented! Lol. Next year I plan on actually fertilizing and taking all the proper steps to get max yield. Keep in mind this all taking place on 68 acres I own. I know it's small but I know the land owners around me. They have a lot bigger acreage but don't hunt. Lots of open fields. I don't plan on tagging out every year or shooting one every year for that matter but I've seen some amazing bucks. Just wanting to see what I can actually accomplish, this meaning growing great food plots. Something really neat about looking at green field I made happen!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Looking for advice - 11/03/17 04:25 PM

Start checking EVERY Walmart you can NOW for Clearance Fertilizer - $1 to $2.50 a bag (normally ~ $13).
It's been out there a month+ but still seeing some available.

I got deer hitting a super-green 'test' plot where I did nothing more than put fertilizer on the native grasses to 'super-charge' them while the deer are ignoring my 'oat plot' thats all burnt up due to lack of rain . . . . confused2
Posted By: Western

Re: Looking for advice - 11/03/17 06:36 PM

If you seed it in the fall with Clovers, (arrow leaf clover grows good here) you will/should have a good stand of clover in springtime through much of early summer. If you want to plant in spring, just about any lagume that grows well where you are will do.

Lablab has a good reputation, I grew it one year and it grew over 6'!, Deer like sunflowers and if any survive, dove will clean up the rest. Another thing I have done was planted a dry tolerant alfalfa, couldn't run the deer out of it, iirc it was ladak, or dryland, but was developed by TA&M, of course this would be what you had all year, to expensive to re plant and not smart if you get a good stand going. I paid for my 5 acres cutting square bales off of it the 1st summer.

If you really want to get down and gritty with land improvement, call you county agriculture agent, he will come out, walk the place with you and make recommendations for whatever AG direction you wish to go AND it's FREE........ (this was how I found out about the alfalfa I planted back in 1990)

Re: Looking for advice - 11/06/17 01:50 PM

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Re: Looking for advice - 11/06/17 01:55 PM

Good plots seem simple in thought but takes a little leg work I guess ! Lol. Thanks for the info guys.
Posted By: Western

Re: Looking for advice - 11/06/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TAT
Good plots seem simple in thought but takes a little leg work I guess ! Lol. Thanks for the info guys.

Once you have done it a couple times, not a big deal up With the time and $ involved, you want the best outcome you can get for the effort. It can be as simple as throw and grow after raking the ground, but for better results, do it as good as you can and you will end up with something worth hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum