Texas Hunting Forum

Best Deer Feed Attractant

Posted By: Brian C.

Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/23/17 05:34 PM

Store bought right of the bag or home made concoction let's here it....

Personally I've enjoyed roasted corn and soybeans with a few cut up apples thrown around.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/23/17 05:35 PM

Corn everything else is marketed to attract the buyers aka hunter
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/24/17 02:33 AM

I've tried everything.

Corn, they ain't touching it, to much natural food.

Deer cane, had some stragglers come by to check it out.

Salt lick, nothing.

Peanut butter and molasses, nothing

Rice bran, nothing.

Sugar beet crush, notihing

Persimmon crush, nothing.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/24/17 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Corn everything else is marketed to attract the buyers aka hunter

I agree. Plain 'ol corn works for me.

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/24/17 02:42 AM

If corn isn't working your best bet is to not hunt corn. Everyone is looking for the easy road but there is no magic. Stop doing whats not working and try something new. Hunt trails to and from bedding, water, other food sources. Hunt scrape or rub lines. Sitting there hoping they finally decide to come to an attractant is a sure way to not find success.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/24/17 02:17 PM

Corn for sure. I also have a couple of protein feeders next to my corn feeders. Just about every deer that comes to my corn feeder always jumps in the pen to eat some protein too. The free choice protein gives my deer something to snack on while they are waiting for the corn feeder to go off as well. I feed corn and protein year around. On a side note, my deer took quite a while to start eating the protein but once they got started I can't keep the feeders full.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/30/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If corn isn't working your best bet is to not hunt corn. Everyone is looking for the easy road but there is no magic. Stop doing whats not working and try something new. Hunt trails to and from bedding, water, other food sources. Hunt scrape or rub lines. Sitting there hoping they finally decide to come to an attractant is a sure way to not find success.
Yep. Watching an unproductive feeder is a drag. Get out and rattle. Do something different.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 10/31/17 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Corn for sure. I also have a couple of protein feeders next to my corn feeders. Just about every deer that comes to my corn feeder always jumps in the pen to eat some protein too. The free choice protein gives my deer something to snack on while they are waiting for the corn feeder to go off as well. I feed corn and protein year around. On a side note, my deer took quite a while to start eating the protein but once they got started I can't keep the feeders full.

Feel like I wrote that lol

I can't keep mine full either
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 11/18/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Just how long is quite a while?? A month, 6 months or a year?
Posted By: DH3

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 12/31/17 09:41 PM

Had good results with Double Down.
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 01/02/18 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER

Just how long is quite a while?? A month, 6 months or a year?

Started protein this year. Had tried in previous years but failed. This year I purchased a timed protein feeder from all seasons which kept a constant supply of protein out. Had it not been for the timed unit I'm sure they still wouldn't have taken to eating protein (years past with a different feeder coons would dump the whole thing out).

It took the deer from March all the way till the week after thanksgiving to eat protein out of the feeder! From the time they started eating through 1 week before Christmas I had over 1k pictures of deer eating protein! Feeding Double Down.

Every time I go to my hunting areas, even during off season, I ALWAYS corn the roads. Eventually they get used to the sound of the ATV and know food isn't far behind.

Posted By: sbushee

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 01/05/18 05:51 AM

What’s with the pic of the deer being skinned?
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 01/05/18 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: sbushee

Maybe showing all the fat on the deer?

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 01/06/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Trenton
Originally Posted By: sbushee

Maybe showing all the fat on the deer?
Looks kinda skinny
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 01/06/18 02:08 PM

Plant wheat spread corn seems to work best
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Best Deer Feed Attractant - 02/27/18 01:23 PM

banana
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum