Texas Hunting Forum

Got Lucky

Posted By: Stub

Got Lucky - 09/28/17 12:52 PM

Drove to Jacksboro Monday evening to plant my food plot on Tuesday, about 2 1/2 acre. I mowed the field about 4 weeks before that and buddy it was a jungle, there was a area so rough I could not mow because of the huge hog wallows.
Light rain Monday eve and most of the night, got an inch.

Jump on the tractor Tuesday about 9:00 am and discing the field to plant. That 1" of rain had soften the ground up perfectly and the disc was going through the ground like soft butter. Was able to knock down a lot of the damage caused by hogs, not all because I was in a hurry to beat the foretasted rain for the evening. Was able to get it all planted and covered. Started raining late Tuesday afternoon and all night picked up an additional 3 1/4" on top of my just planted field up

A few pics, first is from the Blind with my camera Monday evening before I disced.

Game cam pic is 9.43 am

An hour after I finished discing the field, this devil showed up and will be targeted for the freezer this year.

Finished planting got in the blind to take an after picture, you see vegetation in the field to the left, thats where the hog damage was, would have like to have made more passes over it to clean it up, no time do to rain. Hope everyone has a good food plot this year up

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Got Lucky - 09/28/17 01:05 PM

up
Posted By: JKC

Re: Got Lucky - 09/28/17 01:12 PM

cheers
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Got Lucky - 09/28/17 02:24 PM

Looks good. What did you plant?

Re: Got Lucky - 09/28/17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Looks good. What did you plant?

Normally I just plant 1/3 winter wheat, oats and Austrian peas but the feed store was out of peas, so I just bought a premixed deer blend that had those 3 in there plus a winter rye.

What did you plant or have you yet?

Re: Got Lucky - 10/02/17 06:47 PM

Went out yesterday and things are looking good.
Total rain from Monday up to checking it yesterday.

Coming up already.

There were 9 deer in the field this morning, 5 does, 4 fawns here are 7 of them by the feeder, there were two more that just came into the field when I took this and of all things two crazy racoons scared them all away nuts So I set out two Duke traps for them up

Re: Got Lucky - 10/11/17 03:27 PM

Crops are up and looking good, deer are hitting the field pretty hard up

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum