Texas Hunting Forum

what to plant in red clay

Posted By: varnoldi13

what to plant in red clay - 09/27/17 02:30 PM

Our property is red clay everywhere . What would be the best option to make a few food plots ? 1-2 acres worth.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: what to plant in red clay - 09/27/17 03:01 PM

Is this wet clay or dry clay? Meaning is is highland or bottom lands?

You might be able to get some goot clover stands if the ground is a little moist. If it is dry, then maybe just try some wheat/oats and see how those work.

What tools do you have to break the land up?
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: what to plant in red clay - 09/27/17 03:04 PM

Bottom land I believe ; gas powered hand pushed tiller , and hand tools are the only thing right now.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: what to plant in red clay - 09/27/17 03:29 PM

That's gonna hurt doing that much clay with a hand tiller. What's on the ground right now and has the ground ever been turned before in years past? I would spray to get a kill o fhte grass, will make the tilling much easier without the roots killing you. Wait for the rain to get the ground damp and then let it dry a bit before you try to till, then get the ground worked up as best you can. If you could rent a tractor with a tiller or something bigger it will make the work go much faster, but if you can not then just make use of what you have. For clay your hand tools will be almost useless.

Good thing about clay is it usually doesn't need limed. spread some fertilizer, get your seed in and hope for rain.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: what to plant in red clay - 09/27/17 07:26 PM

I planted ryegrass on a reclaimed drill site. Our clay base is about 6" down but during the site recovery the clay ended up on top. Pogue Ag in Kenedy suggested I use ryegrass, that it would bust it up and it did. I think I used it two or three years and it is workable land now. Deer loved it too.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: what to plant in red clay - 09/28/17 07:50 AM

1-2acres sounds ambitious for a hand tiller. I would add some biodrills ( carrots, turnips, long root radish, parsnips, etc.). These help break up the clay to allow water penetration to prevent rain from running off. 2 lbs of seed will go a long way ( maybe 1 acre).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum