Texas Hunting Forum

Best Throw and Grow?

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Best Throw and Grow? - 09/27/17 01:45 PM

If l could would plant oats but don't have a tractor or disc. Which throw and grow seed blends and brands have you found to be most effective?

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 09/27/17 01:47 PM

To clarify, l have used throw and grow before and never had a problem getting it to come up...Finding one deer love is the problem.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 09/27/17 01:47 PM

rye
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 09/27/17 01:48 PM

I brodcast oats each year and they grow just fine without covering... bad thing is you loose alot to birds
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 09/27/17 02:20 PM

Have tossed out winter wheat and oats. Where we hunted in Llano County we just looked for where the hogs had chewed things up and tossed it there. Also used some of the molasses stuff on cactus to get them to clear out the prickly pears then tossed wheat on top of that area. Gave us plenty of small food plots around the lease.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 09/27/17 03:03 PM

You can use a drag harrow behind a truck or atv and break some of the top dirt, then broadcast what you want.

Or you can throw some oats and wheat and see how it comes up. You could even frost seed some clover into some of the areas and see if that does anything in the spring.

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 09/28/17 01:49 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the advice
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Best Throw and Grow? - 10/03/17 01:13 PM

My new spot is inaccessible due to a big washout from Harvey so I bought a bag of rye and a bag of oats and here's to hoping some of it germs!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum