Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone got anything in the ground yet?

Posted By: Texas Dan

Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/05/17 08:06 PM

It's that time, time to get those food plots started. I'm expecting it to be dry enough to mow my plot this weekend, and will spray in a couple weeks later. If the weather cooperates, I should have seeds in the ground around October 1st. Others must be planting already. I checked with a couple feed stores and both were sold out of Triple 13.

What are best prices on seed and fertilizer? I paid $17.50 for a 50# bag of seed oats and fertilizer will run me $12.50 for a 50# bag when my feed store gets a new shipment.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/05/17 08:24 PM

got all the plots shredded on one place yesterday ... will watch the weather for a cool wet front before I get too excited about planting but hopefully by or before Oct. 1
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 12:50 AM

September 16 for me. My friend from the metromess is bringing the seed. I've already disced and fertilized. Will rake it out this weekend.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 12:57 PM

Around the 18th for me...
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 01:50 PM

9/22 or so for me - plots are ready. Lynx peas this year.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 03:59 PM

Put mine in early (N.Texas) ~3 weeks ago (rain & spiced w/fert real good!).

looks like this yesterday:

FYI Walmarts are clearing out their summer fertilizers:!!
I've been loading up on:
29-0-4 $2.50 42# bags !!!!
and 13-13-13 $3.00 40#
and 10-10-10 $2.50 40#
YMMV . . .

just skip the 'weed-n-feed' kinds (cept for your LAWN). . . wink
Posted By: rickym

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 07:01 PM

Put out oats clover and some soybeans 2 weeks ago, before the hurricane. Will broadcast more oats and plant more beans by hand in early October.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 07:08 PM

Just got off the tractor. Got the food plot mowed and I'll start disking in the morning.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/08/17 11:27 PM

It's early, but weather forecast shows several days of decent rain chances at the place the week of 20-23 sept. If that holds together and looks like it will happen, I will try to get seed in the same time I till, the weekend before on 16&17. If not, will get seed out when some rain looks promising.
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/09/17 12:22 AM

I did bc I knew I would be out of town for two weeks, pretty sure it was a waste of money. It was only a one acre plot. I plan to re seed at the end of te month. And hope for rain in the jack county area.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/11/17 02:22 PM

I decided to increase the size of two of my plots, so this weekend I went ahead and shredded additional area for these two, then sprayed remaining vegetation. Will pick up my peas this coming weekend, and then broadcast and bed the following. Then will pray for good rains through the Fall.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/11/17 03:28 PM

I noticed an understory of clover and other perineals from last year's planting doing well after mowing all the tall stuff. For that reason, I'm thinking I might forget about spraying before planting this year and just disk and plant.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anyone got anything in the ground yet? - 09/11/17 03:40 PM

I plant right around the last week of September or 1st week of October depending on the weather.

Hope everyone that has already planted and have crops up in the N.TX area are not adversely effected by the heat and dry weather that is forecasted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum