Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone Starting Early This Year??

Posted By: C&H OutDoors

Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 08/28/17 12:28 PM

I have a lease that’s about one mile west of lake Cisco in Eastland County. In years past I planted my food plots around September 15th to the 25th pending rain. I noticed most of the land owners have turned their fields already and in years past they did not do this until mid-October or later. I checked the 10 day forecast, 20to40% chance of rain all week and highs in the mid 80s.

It sure would be amazing to have the food plots looking good for bow season but I know there is a risk of armyworms and grasshoppers getting to them. I really don’t think we’re going to have that random 100 degree+ day early September this year, so what are your thoughts on starting early?

I’ll be planting wheat, Oats, purple turnips, and I’m still debating on winter peas or not.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 08/28/17 03:56 PM

I agree on starting early - time it for the rain
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 08/28/17 09:06 PM

Why not. You can always replant with cheap wheat if the worms/hoppers get you. Money is not a factor when it comes to hunting. grin
Posted By: Espy

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 08/28/17 10:48 PM

I planted 2 small food plots last week due to the possibility of rain. Gonna bow hunt the spots. Plan on planting 3 more plots around the middle of Sept.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 08/31/17 08:56 PM

I put seed out the day before the hurricane, checked it today and about 75% of it is still there. Probably 25% of that has sprouted. Broadcasted more by hand and step on it to push it into the mud. I will walk through it in two or three weeks and broadcast oats.

Now just to keep the hogs away from it.

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/01/17 07:19 PM

This is one of my small plots that I got planted before the rain. Looking forward to see what it looks like in October.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/01/17 07:54 PM

Espy, what is in that plot?

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/01/17 09:32 PM

it has wheat,oats,clover,chicory,turnips and radishes. I didn't put in any winter peas will do that on my larger food plots that I will plant in a few weeks. I did keep the radishes and turnips separate to see how they handled the early planting.

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/06/17 01:10 PM

I was planing on tilling all the plots up but the hurricane came in and it was to wet to til. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm glad I didn't plant early due to the lack of rain this month. So now, I'm stuck with checking the weather a number of times a day in hopes of rain.

Espy: How are your plots doing?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/06/17 01:14 PM

We've already started planting North of Abilene.

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/06/17 02:05 PM

Are yall getting any rain up their passthru?

Re: Anyone Starting Early This Year?? - 09/07/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: C&H OutDoors

Espy: How are your plots doing?

The turnips and radishes are looking really good. Oats and wheat along with the other seeds are doing ok got some rain Tuesday so gonna look at them next week. I will start planting the other plots in a couple of weeks. will post some pics next week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum