Texas Hunting Forum

alfalfa

Posted By: LTC Realty

alfalfa - 08/07/17 09:19 PM

Do whitetail like alfalfa hay?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: alfalfa - 08/07/17 10:48 PM

I've seen them eat it but it might take a while for them to try it since it's not a natural good source to most of them in Texas.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: alfalfa - 08/08/17 12:40 AM

I've been told they love alfalfa but when its balled they will pick through the bale and only eat the leaf thus leaving you a pile of stems. I think those that feed alfalfa use hay racks to feed with to try and eliminate this from happening.

Good luck.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: alfalfa - 08/08/17 01:24 AM

Everything up here eats alfalfa; whitetails, mule deer , antelope and elk. They do the same , eat the leaves and leave the stems.
They hit the horse hay as soon as we put it out, doesn't take long at all for them to find it.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: alfalfa - 08/08/17 01:29 AM

They'll eat it like crazy but it's too expensive IMO.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: alfalfa - 08/08/17 12:50 PM

I've never had much luck with it but only tried it a couple of times.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: alfalfa - 08/08/17 03:20 PM

I have tried it but couldn't get the deer in east Texas to eat it. I have fed it to mule deer in west Texas.
Posted By: PMK

Re: alfalfa - 08/17/17 06:13 PM

I bought a 4 bails off a 18 wheeler in central TX a few years back, placed beside feeders, a month later didn't appear any had been touched, another month later, it was merely a huge fire ant mound in the shape of a alfalfa bail. These were placed at 4 different ranches around central TX (Burnet/Lampasas/Llano counties)
Posted By: Stub

Re: alfalfa - 08/17/17 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Young Gun 12
Do whitetail like alfalfa hay?

They usually tear it up food even if I have a lot of natural green growing, I still buy a square bale or two if its real green and spread it around the field and throw a pad or two in the feeder pen.

Piggies seem to like it also.

Buy a square bale make sure it is fresh and green otherwise they will not touch it, separate the pads put them around your hunting area if they like it then you have another attractant up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum