Texas Hunting Forum

What to plant?

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

What to plant? - 06/02/17 04:45 PM

I just cleared some new areas of our property in central Texas. We have planted iron and clay cowpeas and some spring summer food plot mixes already. I'm all for trying something new or sticking to a similar plot with cowpeas/spring mix, however I might not be able to plant until the middle of this month of June. What would you suggest would be a good crop to plant around that time? Too late for cowpeas (they grow great here)? If they would do well with a June 15th planting, I'd stick with that. Thoughts?
Posted By: spg

Re: What to plant? - 06/02/17 11:59 PM

Imperial Power Plant
Posted By: spg

Re: What to plant? - 06/03/17 12:00 AM

Whitetail Institute makes it.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: What to plant? - 06/03/17 01:04 AM

I'm another fan of Imperial PowerPlant!

Posted By: rickym

Re: What to plant? - 06/05/17 12:46 AM

Let it start to grow back as natural forbs then til in late august/early September and plant winter wheat and oats.

Re: What to plant? - 06/05/17 04:58 PM

Whitetail Institute is sold out. I think there are some other avenues to buy it, but some are expensive. Will look around.

May just let the natural stuff grow back and till and plant a fall plot on this area. Did the WW and Oats last year around the place and they were a hit.

Thanks, everyone.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: What to plant? - 06/06/17 12:11 PM

No matter what I plant, my hogs are thankful and not real particular.
Posted By: LTC Realty

Re: What to plant? - 07/13/17 03:04 PM

Did you find another avenue to get the powerplant?

Re: What to plant? - 07/17/17 04:44 PM

Decided not to go with thew power plant. We haven't received much rain, so nothing is really growing there anyhow. Will till and plant some fall plots instead.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum