Texas Hunting Forum

Feeding protein

Posted By: DrCamo17

Feeding protein - 01/20/17 04:29 AM

Thinking about feeding protein. Does anyone know where to buy protein in or around Lubbock and how much it costs per bag?
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Feeding protein - 01/20/17 04:49 AM

Can't help, but try ease deer on to it. Try half corn/ half protein to start. Gets deer used to it.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Feeding protein - 01/20/17 05:10 PM

I pay 11.99 a bag at FMC 20% in Graham, I would expect somewhere for you in that neighborhood. My deer love it and like Mustafa said, I started mine on 1 bag of corn for every 2 protein. By the second refill in a 1K feeder, they were good.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Feeding protein - 01/20/17 05:29 PM

We started feeding protein and the deer picked it up right away without mixing anything, now the stuff id like a drug. Consumption goes up and down with rain. When its dry you cant feed enough of it. Off and on when its wet and really good range conditions we will stop filling feeders because they don't eat it fast enough to keep it from getting clumpy and clogging up.

Around $10 a bag is a decent going rate. Shop your local feed stores and compare.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Feeding protein - 01/20/17 05:55 PM

One more thing I would like to add and wished I had done this. Once you visit the 2-3 feed stores and explore your options, you need to find out what mixture is the most palatable and appealing to your deer herd.

I started my deer on Rack Plus and frankly they ate it but not to the extent they pile through the mixture from FMC. I would buy a 50 lb bag of the 2-3 you are considering pour it on the ground inside your feeder pen and keep a cam on it. See which mixture your deer like then buy that one regardless of the price.

My 2 cents.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Feeding protein - 01/23/17 02:24 PM

I buy Antler Max at Matt Hamel Ag Products. It is on MLK just South of the Slaton Hwy. It is behind that new Stripes they just built. I have been paying $11.50/50 lbs. It is cheaper there than any where else I have found in Lubbock.
Posted By: DrCamo17

Re: Feeding protein - 01/25/17 05:28 AM

Thanks for all the info. I checked with HF&C Feeds and they charge $12.99 a bag for antler max. Never heard of Matt Hamel place so I will definitely check them out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum