Texas Hunting Forum

Double Down Feed

Posted By: BowsnRods

Double Down Feed - 05/24/16 05:35 PM

Strutty's in Boerne is now carrying Double Down Deer Feed
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/24/16 05:57 PM

That's right by me. I'll have to look up what it is. Price?

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/24/16 07:41 PM

It's not cheap as you know. I guess I am also paying for the convenience of not having to drive to Dilly. I paid around $14.50 a bag I think.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/25/16 01:17 PM

My bud is running DD on his ranch and deer became addicted to it. It's crazy....deer eat, then go lay down for a while then back on it. And this is an area with very lush range conditions. Bud has 2 protein stations on his 300ac and since he switched to DD his deer numbers have gone way up. I know there could be other factors involved but I've never seen deer literally run to protein stations like a kid to the ice creme truck.
Darn sure something in it they really like.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/25/16 01:17 PM

I am not familiar with this feed. Is it a complete deer ration or some type of mineral?
Thanks and Adios,
Gary

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/25/16 05:27 PM

It is a complete deer ration to include a mineral package,very high fat content(peanuts) and fiber (cotton seed) from what I have seen on a couple of different ranches that feed DD the body weight and antler growth is remarkable. If you are looking for a distributor in the Boerne area call Petra at Strutty's 830-981-2258 they received their first load of DD Monday and they are already out. She said she can fill your order within a couple of days notice if they are out.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/25/16 06:02 PM

20% protein
4% fat
6.5% fiber
So far no public info of nutrient / mineral content or a guaranteed analysis so it can be compared to other well known / reputable feeds.

The marketing sounds like Buck Crack in a 50lb bag.
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 01:39 AM

I've been feeding it two years now it has made a very noticeable difference for us. Just be ready to dig deeper in your pocket. I fed over 90,000 worth last year compared to about 70,000 the year before we switched

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 02:21 AM

DH....you not the first I've heard this from in so tex. In fact im pretty sure our manager at the HF ranch near Catarina is going to switch to it next year. I'm hearing more and more positive feedback from DD and believe me I'm a very skeptical person.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 10:15 AM

I've taken many, many photos of deer on a large place in SW Texas for several years now. The deer have added more mass and length than I thought was possible from year to year. I'm not selling the stuff and I don't care what anyone feeds but I know what I've seen and photographed!
Posted By: tlk

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 10:19 AM

think the record rainfall for the past two years has anything to do with it? We feed a different brand and have had awesome horn growth the past two seasons

we also saw noticeable improvement when we added cottonseed to our ranch

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
think the record rainfall for the past two years has anything to do with it? We feed a different brand and have had awesome horn growth the past two seasons

The ranch I'm referring to in Maverick county had 7" last year per the land owner. Not exactly a record!

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49

The ranch I'm referring to in Maverick county had 7" last year per the land owner. Not exactly a record!

I am in Maverick County and there was officially right at 38 inches of rain last year (2015) - the year before that (2014) it got 19 inches or almost three times the average - the average is 7 inches a year. I am less than 20 miles from that ranch - If that ranch only got 7 inches then its gauges need to be checked

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 02:43 PM

I'll trust my eyes over an internet report everytime

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 03:06 PM

no internet report - we track it in several different ways and off of actual gauges - Also know several other LO in Maverick and they all recorded the same levels - so if you really believe that a ranch in Maverick County got 7 inches total in 2015 then you keep believing that.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 03:12 PM

back

I'm sure the stuff is great. But I already can't justify what I spend on my little "deer field" at the home place and there's enough German blood in me that I'd have a conniption fit trying to buy it.

Big operations growing big horns for clients - I understand.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 05:39 PM

I was a little hesitant to switch my protein feed which has done pretty good over the last 10yrs to DD, but I did visit several ranches that have feed DD for several years now and I believe that DD will be an improvement to the quality of the deer on my place. I am willing to spend the extra money to see and I will keep everyone posted of my findings.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 08:34 PM

no internet report - we track it in several different ways and off of actual gauges - Also know several other LO in Maverick and they all recorded the same levels - so if you really believe that a ranch in Maverick County got 7 inches total in 2015 then you keep believing that.

I belive you got what you said you got but I can tell the 3 different times of the year I was there last year the tanks were not full and I was eating dust from the roads

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 09:55 PM

I belive you got what you said you got but I can tell the 3 different times of the year I was there last year the tanks were not full and I was eating dust from the roads

I know the owner of the ranch bordering the one you are saying got 7 inches. He keeps meticulous rainfall records - I am asking him what his ranch got in 2015 and will get back to you

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 10:18 PM

Ok I just found your ranch on Farmlogs which is a very accurate rainfall site - 2014 you had 20 inches. 2015 you had 31 inches. So far this year to date you have had 11.5 inches. In a county that averages 7 inches of rain per year I would say those are pretty darn wet years

If you dont think this is accurate I will post what the neighbor tells me he got last year in his gauges as soon as he gets back to me.

Not saying DD is a bad feed - just saying that mother nature has the biggest hand by far on how deer do from year to year - and the rainfall all over south texas and maverick county last year was off the charts

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 10:54 PM

I agree that rainfall is a big factor on year to year antler production. That ranch in no way is my ranch. I've never fired a shot on the place and only comment on what I see. I'm not associated with the owners and couldn't care less what people feed their deer!

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 11:02 PM

Never said you owned the ranch. I know who the owners are. But careful making claims (7 inches of rain) about what a feed has done. People believe it and go spend their hard earned money on it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/26/16 11:24 PM

My pastures are as green as they have ever been that I remember, and we have had better than 15 inches of rain since march. The rain has no affect on my deer eating or not eating protein. I keep the feeders full as best I can and the deer will go to the protein feeders before they will touch anything in the pasture. I have several plants that carry 20% protein to the wildlife and as long as my feeder's have protein in them they will pass up the native browse.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
My pastures are as green as they have ever been that I remember, and we have had better than 15 inches of rain since march. The rain has no affect on my deer eating or not eating protein. I keep the feeders full as best I can and the deer will go to the protein feeders before they will touch anything in the pasture. I have several plants that carry 20% protein to the wildlife and as long as my feeder's have protein in them they will pass up the native browse.

This is very interesting. So if a deer is not sleeping or laying down, they are browsing. Tell me how you know that your deer are passing up browsing and going to your feeders? Do you know how long a deer on your place is actually at a feeder versus browsing during the day? Your statement above comes across as very factual so I am curious as to how you know for a fact that your deer "will go to the feeders before they will touch anything in the pasture?"

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 02:13 AM

Do I detect trolling! I have watched deer get up from being bedded down and travel better than 500 yards without every stopping to browse making there way to a gravity fed protein feeder which is free choice all day. I do spend a lot of time in the pasture as well as monitor my camera's in my feed pens. I can tell you that a deer better than 1yr of age will consume approximately 1.5 lbs. per day! you ask me how I know this, I monitor the consumption of feed in each feeder on a weekly basis divide that by 7 which is the number of days in a week. This is how long it takes the deer to empty a 600 lb. feeder. I have 4 feeders on the ranch. I do game surveys that give me an accurate count of deer on the ranch. I take the total number of deer and divide that by the total weight of feed that was consumed for that week and I come up with an approximate consumption weight per deer per day.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 02:15 AM

This post is meant for anyone monitoring that might be interested in a protein that I use, I have no vested interest in the company that manufactures DD and I pay the same as anyone else that purchases it from the feed store I use.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 02:34 AM

I am no "troll" trust me. Read some of my post. On here regularly. You are making some pretty serious claims. I am just asking legitimate questions about some statements you have made that are pretty strong. What do you suppose your deer sre doing the rest of the day when they are not at your feeders? I am guessing they are eating the natural browse
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 03:40 AM

I am feeding DD on 4 ranches- total of 36,000 acres of low fence. McMullen, Refugio, and Webb county. I cannot say enough good things about this feed. A lot of people are skeptical about the feed and make negative comments because the results are unheard of. I can say that I have feed most competitors for years on HF and LF ranches and have not seen anything close to the results I am getting with DD.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 12:25 PM

Seems like the manufacturer or one of their customers would post the guaranteed analysis.

It is required on every bag so it shouldn't be hard to come by, be interesting to compare it with other well known / reputable feeds.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 01:19 PM

This thread has a bad smell to it.

Rain clearly has a much, much larger effect than anything you're feeding vs other feeds. Arguing that is just silly and gives a pretty strong impression that you have a vested reason to promote DD.

Not saying that's true, but making up an inaccurate rain amount is just weird. You can find the rainfall of a given area. It's recorded. Why just arbitrarily claim 7 inches when that's far from the truth?

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 02:20 PM

The OP never mentioned rain. Another member did. Then a strangely familiar attempt at the "Socratic method" began.

It's a bag of feed, for Pete's sake.
Posted By: Aim Small

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 02:36 PM

Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 03:49 PM

This is from another forum which has the lab breakdown. I do not feed Double Down just remembered seeing this.
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 03:51 PM

This was also there
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 04:09 PM

Thanks to the OP for the info. up

This thread reminds me of that game where people sit in a circle and start a sentence whispering to each person next to them and how different the sentence and subject become once it makes it's way around the circle.

I found it very easy to google their website and request the guaranteed analysis which they sent to my email.

I never expected members to be so defensive of their current feed and so skeptical of other members opinions from their past experience with it. It's a big investment to protein feed that I would do my homework on after I hear good things about it.

To question members opinions in a way like they own the company and your relying on their experience/opinion to make your buying decision is bad form IMO. Put your big boy pants on and do some research and make your decision based on it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 04:41 PM

Good post Pitchfork...spot on.

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 05:25 PM

Thank you also Pitchfork, I wasn't trying to push anything on anyone! I was stating I am excited about a new feed I am using and would update people interested in the results as I go. Thank you Riccochet83 also for the Feed analysis. Creekrunner you are so correct, I did not mention rain, but I have seen area's of my ranch get up to an inch more than other area's of the ranch but regardless why would someone call out someone else on how much rain they got very senseless. Happy Memorial Day My Friends!

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 05:40 PM

And a happy birthday to ya.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 07:03 PM

glad that is settled. Has anyone been to a good rat killin lately?

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 08:28 PM

Thank you also Pitchfork, I wasn't trying to push anything on anyone! I was stating I am excited about a new feed I am using and would update people interested in the results as I go. Thank you Riccochet83 also for the Feed analysis. Creekrunner you are so correct, I did not mention rain, but I have seen area's of my ranch get up to an inch more than other area's of the ranch but regardless why would someone call out someone else on how much rain they got very senseless. Happy Memorial Day My Friends!

Many claims made over the past year or two about this feed doing miraculous things. I asked a fair and straight forward question - could record rainfall have anything to do with the results as opposed to the brand of feed someone puts out? Facts are that south texas and most all of texas has had significant rainfall and more than perfect range conditions over the past two and a half years and has obviously had much to do with horn improvement. Feed whatever the heck you want to feed - just seems like this should be put into perspective - carry on!
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 09:27 PM

I suspect that the calcium to phosphorous ratio between 1-1 and 1.5-1 is part of the answer, to it's attractiveness. A lot of deer range is phosphorous poor causing deer to seek it out. A lot of supplements have a 2-1 ratio, while 2-1 ratio is ideal, it does little if deer aren't getting a majority of their nutrition from the supplement.
Posted By: don k

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/27/16 11:19 PM

This time of year it seems that it doesn't take much for some to get their panties in a bind.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/28/16 02:06 AM

We often see claims of this or that being the cure for what ever, some have merit while others do not. like the old expression if it sounds too good to be true it probably is hold just as true now as it was when those words were put together.

I have no doubt DD is good feed for deer, lots better than some product like one product that advertise it gets deer to eat plants that they normally don't eat. If deer don't normally eat those plants there is probably a reason and why would I want deer on my place eating that.

We have been blessed or some that flooded would say cursed over the last couple years with rain above average that has helped about all the critters.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/30/16 07:27 PM

I'm going to just stick with Indian corn grin
Posted By: rtp

Re: Double Down Feed - 05/30/16 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I'm going to just stick with Indian corn grin

Best thing for deer and they stay at the feeder longer.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/04/16 02:45 AM

I saw several young bucks get into a canoe I have at the ranch today and paddle out to one of my protein feeders filled with Double Down.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/05/16 03:10 PM

Strutty's is open on Sundays. Just picked up some corn and soybeans on my way to church. Handy. (I am NOT a paid advertiser.)

Maybe my pasture is dried out a little bit.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/05/16 04:14 PM

I saw several young bucks get into a canoe I have at the ranch today and paddle out to one of my protein feeders filled with Double Down.

I had some on my place try the canoe thing, but the current in the middle of the field washed them down stream and I'll never see them again.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/05/16 06:17 PM

Many claims made over the past year or two about this feed doing miraculous things. I asked a fair and straight forward question - could record rainfall have anything to do with the results as opposed to the brand of feed someone puts out? Facts are that south texas and most all of texas has had significant rainfall and more than perfect range conditions over the past two and a half years and has obviously had much to do with horn improvement. Feed whatever the heck you want to feed - just seems like this should be put into perspective - carry on!

Can't beat mother nature. Really difficult to compare the results from last two years in most areas of the state to years prior. Results don't come in a bag and many members on the forum have proved that. On our place, we don't feed, yet the last two years has been very productive and we have seen some of the best antlers on our 2-4 year olds than we have seen in many years.

On a well managed place, there is no doubt that supplemental feed is an added tool and good to hear that this one is productive for so many.

I am still of the stance that on most leases (or should I say "average" leases), protein provides very little benefit to the overall antler growth based on what people feed, the amount they feed and the management practices of them and their neighbors. Sure doesn't hurt and works great as an attractant, but people shouldn't expect a dramatic increase just because they start feeding. Without other management practices, little difference is going to be seen.

Good example is to look at the ranches that do feed. In wet years, the protein consumption goes down and the overall antler size increases. Natural forage is going to win out. On dry years, protein consumption goes up and antler quality decreases. Biggest difference here is that the decrease is less on places that do feed and overall body condition is improved.

I am all for people feeding, but just don't buy into the idea that you can grow big bucks with a bag and I sure wouldn't discount the effects of rainfall when evaluating your results.

Good luck and thank you for the information and results cheers
Posted By: therancher

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/06/16 03:36 AM

If your ranch is in bandera co you can't deliver the natural protein that maverick co does. Many brush species down there deliver 26-28% protein and it's in a form that is more digestable than any deer feed.

People get hung up on total % when it's not even digestable at those levels. The fact that we've had 3 straight years of timely and generous rains trumps any feed regimen you can artificially deliver. I never protein feed in zavala co if I get rain. Simply cannot artificially deliver the nutrients that the flora there naturally does.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/07/16 12:45 AM

I understand what you are saying therancher,I do not have the mineral in the soil that south texas has but I do have some of the same plants and tree's. I have guajillo,persimmon,blackbrush and cactus. I also have mesquite trees and oak trees that produce beans and acorns. I never said rain doesn't help all I said is that rain doesn't change the consumption amount of the protein the deer eat on my ranch.This topic was intended to provide feed back on a protein new to my ranch and how the deer developement was in comparison to a different protein I have fed for the last 10 years. The ranch is HF so my study will be controlled for the most part. I have made no attempt to sell anyone on the protein that I have chosen to use and I do believe that supplements provided to deer can out weigh what is naturally offered towards the development of a healthier digestion system and to include better antler growth.I am just a country boy having fun!
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/07/16 03:22 PM

I don't know anything about the feed but I do know the folks that own Dilley Feed and Grain and they are GREAT folks and good friends. I always like to do business with folks that are honest and have a good reputation.
By the way, it is even wet up here in Menard County. Clint got married two weeks ago and said that if he knew that his taking a bride would cause record rainfall, he would have done so a long time ago.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/07/16 09:30 PM

I am in Maverick County and there was officially right at 38 inches of rain last year (2015) - the year before that (2014) it got 19 inches or almost three times the average - the average is 7 inches a year. I am less than 20 miles from that ranch - If that ranch only got 7 inches then its gauges need to be checked
I have seen it rain 3" on one side of the road and the other side didn't get a drop

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/07/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Thanks to the OP for the info. up

This thread reminds me of that game where people sit in a circle and start a sentence whispering to each person next to them and how different the sentence and subject become once it makes it's way around the circle.

I found it very easy to google their website and request the guaranteed analysis which they sent to my email.

I never expected members to be so defensive of their current feed and so skeptical of other members opinions from their past experience with it. It's a big investment to protein feed that I would do my homework on after I hear good things about it.

To question members opinions in a way like they own the company and your relying on their experience/opinion to make your buying decision is bad form IMO. Put your big boy pants on and do some research and make your decision based on it.
hell yes, I don't think they have big boy pants

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/07/16 11:00 PM

opinions...just like part of the human anatomy, every one has one

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/08/16 04:48 AM

Ain't that the truth.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/08/16 01:56 PM

Nunley chittim has had some of the best genetics in Texas for a along time, that ranch has produced 200" deer for well over 30years. Not so sure I'd use it as an example of a pinnacle feed product.

That's kind of like the Kerr Spike study comparing hill country spikes to Stx breeder bucks, ummm kind of a stacked deck.

I'm sure DD is a good feed, maybe even a great feed. I doubt I'd ever spend a premium for it at this time. With that said people can't help be suspicious when you connect the dots that start at Holden pasture

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/08/16 07:43 PM

Absolutely BOBO, I figure that I have seen the end result to what I had fed for the last 10 yrs. and I am now hoping that maybe a different feed will offer a positive increase in antler development for my younger bucks at a faster rate. I am a firm believer in you have to have the genetics but also the ability for the deer to reach maturity and a proper diet.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/08/16 08:40 PM

Where we hunt you could go broke feeding any supplemental feed free choice. There are often 10 to 15 deer just at my feeder on any given throw. Deer density, natural forage and mineral content, genetics and age are key. Supplemental feed will add to that but if you don't have the foundation you will still not have monster bucks.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/09/16 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Where we hunt you could go broke feeding any supplemental feed free choice. There are often 10 to 15 deer just at my feeder on any given throw. Deer density, natural forage and mineral content, genetics and age are key. Supplemental feed will add to that but if you don't have the foundation you will still not have monster bucks.

DD is intended for the more feed lot type crowd with endless $$ to spend on feed. If you are not in that group you aren't going to see any improvement to your deer here over feeding any of the other high quality but cheaper feeds. You will also have an extra 20%-+ saved in your checking account.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/09/16 10:28 PM

So Much Negativity, I choose not to stand in the soup line! I remember when I changed my dog's food about a year ago to a new product, the first bowl my dog had she must have thought she went to heaven, she guarded her bowl like no buddy's business until all the food was gone. Yep I paid more for it a bag than the previous dog food, I like to keep all my family members happy and healthy!

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/09/16 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat

DD is intended for the more feed lot type crowd with endless $$ to spend on feed. If you are not in that group you aren't going to see any improvement to your deer here over feeding any of the other high quality but cheaper feeds. You will also have an extra 20%-+ saved in your checking account.

Have you used DD feed? If so please post facts to support your statement. Without them, your statement is worthless.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/09/16 10:33 PM

Put a fork in him, the cat is done!

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/09/16 10:45 PM

I told you earlier John. This time of year somes panties get real wadded up.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/09/16 10:51 PM

I had a cow like that once, ate some hay string and had it coming out both ends. Like one of those itches you just cant scratch.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 03:21 PM

Have you used DD feed? If so please post facts to support your statement. Without them, your statement is worthless.

You a stalker? lol

Have any educated deer management related rebuttal or do you even have any extensive deer management experience?

You can find pricing and feed benefits via a little internet deal called google.com.

Your typical low fence deer hunter isn't going to see any huge benefits that outweigh the costs over the typical deer feeds.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Nunley chittim has had some of the best genetics in Texas for a along time, that ranch has produced 200" deer for well over 30years. Not so sure I'd use it as an example of a pinnacle feed product.

That's kind of like the Kerr Spike study comparing hill country spikes to Stx breeder bucks, ummm kind of a stacked deck.

I'm sure DD is a good feed, maybe even a great feed. I doubt I'd ever spend a premium for it at this time. With that said people can't help be suspicious when you connect the dots that start at Holden pasture

Yep other parts of the lease are producing the same type deer as the DD pasture.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 04:31 PM

Yep other parts of the lease are producing the same type deer as the DD pasture.

It maybe a great feed I don't know just think it's important that people know there is a dotted line between the lease holder of the chitman and the feed, reason why it's all Holden bucks being shown as proof.

With that said I know some guys that are seeing higher consumption rates. Which is great but those guys also are feeding cotton seed too. That makes no sense to me... Economics and want for more consumption.

99% are feeding CS to cheapen back their feed costs.... Kind of counter productive in my eyes.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 06:10 PM

I never meant for this thread to be anymore than I was going to try a different protein from what I have used for the past 10yrs to see if it would make any difference in the antler growth of the deer on my ranch in the hill country! This study is at no cost to anyone but myself. I am not pushing DD on anyone nor do I get any discount or kick back. I am not providing any other supplement in my feed pens! My feed cost has gone up 25% more per month but not all the increase is due to higher cost but also more consumption.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 06:23 PM

I personally think that DD Feed should hire you when you retire. You got more people looking into it without trying than most salesmen could working at it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 06:59 PM

I never meant for this thread to be anymore than I was going to try a different protein from what I have used for the past 10yrs to see if it would make any difference in the antler growth of the deer on my ranch in the hill country! This study is at no cost to anyone but myself. I am not pushing DD on anyone nor do I get any discount or kick back. I am not providing any other supplement in my feed pens! My feed cost has gone up 25% more per month but not all the increase is due to higher cost but also more consumption.

From what I have seen it is about 15-25% higher in price than other major brands is that correct?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 10:02 PM

I pay about $125.00 more a ton than what I was paying before on a different protein. I would say it is about 20% higher in cost and the consumption rate is also about 20% higher.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 10:30 PM

You a stalker? lol

Have any educated deer management related rebuttal or do you even have any extensive deer management experience?

You can find pricing and feed benefits via a little internet deal called google.com.

Your typical low fence deer hunter isn't going to see any huge benefits that outweigh the costs over the typical deer feeds.

Thanks for the awesome google insight, I never would of known.......you did not answer a simple question; Have you used DD feed?

I have no experience with DD feed, so I would never think of giving my opinion on it.

As I stated in my last post to you, opinions and statements on products that you have never used are worthless to me. Oh let me guess, if you google it then everything you read is from proven facts and experience, right?

Speaking of educated deer management experience, do you have any you'd like to share based on the feed you use and how it compares to DD? That would be something worth reading if it's based on facts and your experience. All you did is make blanket statements saying if you use DD your part of the feedlot crowd with too much money to spend. How is that helpful insulting other members that use DD feed?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 11:02 PM

John,You see what you started and never meant too? I thought it was only me that could do that. When we going to the OST?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 11:13 PM

Sounds Good Don, I will get with you on Friday and we can set a morning next week for breakfast at the OST.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/15/16 11:48 PM

Sounds Good Don, I will get with you on Friday and we can set a morning next week for breakfast at the OST.
Probably be better the week after next.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 01:52 AM

Sounds good Don

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 11:56 AM

I'm sorry if the term feedlot is insulting. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Look at the ingredients in DD feed and some of the other top tx deer feeds and I don't think you will see a 20% increase in gain. Sure they use peanut base to increase consumption....it's a great marketing scheme for DD. Charge 20% more and get the deer to eat 20% more (see post above). So a huge increase in costs for what???

It's definitely a recipe for a lot of spending and making deer even more dependent on feed without a huge increase in nutrition. I think the only arguement that can be made is consumption rates are way up (my feedlot response) and that increase in antler development over the other good feeds will be very little versus the cost.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 12:08 PM

I've seen many posts on here of deer that wouldn't eat the protein feed put out or very little of it.

Do you think it would be worth the extra cost if more deer consume it more often?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 12:54 PM

I guess that depends if you budget your feed and think the benefits out weigh the costs.

I've never had consumption issues in south or west Texas. Maybe in east Texas or somewhere with low consumption rates the benefits would catch up to costs.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 07:48 PM

If everyone just went by another's opinion on anything and never made an attempt to view the positives and negatives on their own studies of a product or idea where would we be today. There is nothing wrong with questioning ones interpretation of benefit in regards to a product, but to attempt the discredit of a product because it is not what you use is a demonstration of ignorance in my opinion.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 08:46 PM

I'm sorry if the term feedlot is insulting. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Look at the ingredients in DD feed and some of the other top tx deer feeds and I don't think you will see a 20% increase in gain. Sure they use peanut base to increase consumption....it's a great marketing scheme for DD. Charge 20% more and get the deer to eat 20% more (see post above). So a huge increase in costs for what???

It's definitely a recipe for a lot of spending and making deer even more dependent on feed without a huge increase in nutrition. I think the only arguement that can be made is consumption rates are way up (my feedlot response) and that increase in antler development over the other good feeds will be very little versus the cost.

I have feed L&E, Purina, and Wheelers for years. I have never seen gains on mass/ overall inches like I have since I have been feeding DD. I respect your opinion, but I have seen the results. When a better feed comes along I will switch all of my ranches over to that feed, until then I am going to feed what I believe is the best feed on the market.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 09:00 PM

Thank you STXHO for your post, I want to see what DD can do for the deer in the Hill Country! I wouldn't spend the money that I have on a new product unless it was a controlled environment (HF) this way there will be no variance in the deer's diet.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/16/16 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: STXHO

I have feed L&E, Purina, and Wheelers for years. I have never seen gains on mass/ overall inches like I have since I have been feeding DD. I respect your opinion, but I have seen the results. When a better feed comes along I will switch all of my ranches over to that feed, until then I am going to feed what I believe is the best feed on the market.

I respect your opinion but everything we see about DD is just that opinion and marketing...

Huge rains in STX like a lot of places and no controlled study sample really throw a wrench in statements like the 40" gains some claim.

If you like it keep feeding it.

I'm not personally a fan of the secrecy of the Holden pasture involvement in the company as well as some of the crazy claims backed by zero real information.

I'll keep my $$ I save in my pocket for other projects until I see that the high costs really improve the heard by some large % that is contributed to the feed. If I see that proof heck who knows I may go spend 20% more on feed.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 01:32 AM

I respect your opinion but everything we see about DD is just that opinion and marketing...

Huge rains in STX like a lot of places and no controlled study sample really throw a wrench in statements like the 40" gains some claim.

If you like it keep feeding it.

I'm not personally a fan of the secrecy of the Holden pasture involvement in the company as well as some of the crazy claims backed by zero real information.

I'll keep my $$ I save in my pocket for other projects until I see that the high costs really improve the heard by some large % that is contributed to the feed. If I see that proof heck who knows I may go spend 20% more on feed.

I respect your opinion as well. Brett and his guys have done a fine job of growing some monster low fence deer. Its impressive to me to see them pass 180s every year and "double down" to grow 200in deer. Not many hunters have the self control to do that. I have talked to Brett about his program and learned that prior to them taking the ranch there were not many big deer killed. Year round feeding combined with proper harvesting of mature deer yields you those results.

Over the last 2 years my business has leaned more towards the wildlife consulting side of the commercial hunting industry. I'll be honest, after talking with Brett and seeing what he has accomplished I have changed my management programs to head towards the direction he has went. You can't argue with results.

The feed contains nearly 1,000lbs of cotton seed and peanuts for every ton. Very high in protein and good source of fat. Most other competitors contain rice hull fillers and the protein they contain is not good digestible protein. I will agree with you that the amount of rainfall affects the horns and its not fair to give a synopsis based off a wet year. However I can say that after the rut this season my deer were still weighing 200+lbs. The body condition was incredible after the rut.

I feed DD because I believe in the feed and I have seen the results first hand. I passed 7 bucks this year over 160, these deer were on multiple low fence ranches and ages ranged from 6.5-8.5. When we get a little further in antler growth I will share the gains with the forum. This will be a good test since 2 of these ranches are in an area that receives less than 15 inches of rain each year.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 06:37 PM

STXO

Nuley Chittim has produced 200" deer before you where born.

Brett Holden has an amazing lease, with amazing genetics. PERIOD.
Double Down Feed is a revenue stream for Holden's.

Is it a good feed..sure, it's even most likey a better feed option if you are competing against high end native forage, where consumption competition is high.

But pics like this make laugh.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 06:53 PM

I cant believe that someone would believe those photos in the above post were real. But I guess many of our fellow hunters are just looking for that magic bean that will produce unbelievable bucks.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 07:00 PM

STXO

Nuley Chittim has produced 200" deer before you where born.

Brett Holden has an amazing lease, with amazing genetics. PERIOD.
Double Down Feed is a revenue stream for Holden's.

Is it a good feed..sure, it's even most likey a better feed option if you are competing against high end native forage, where consumption competition is high.

But pics like this make laugh.

I am specifically talking about the holden pasture BOBO. Your mistaken if you think they were killing 200in deer over 25 years ago.

I believe the picture because I have seen the deer make those same results. I will have some pictures of my own once we get further along in the growing season. I don't mind sharing them.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 07:15 PM

I believe it's the same deer just not 1 year difference unless that deer was seriously ill the year before.

Even if that deer took that kind of jump that's 60" plus, you are talking about a .00001 of deer that will take that kind of jump on range conditions. In other words you are more likely to find Javi's in plentiful numbers in Refugio.

And yes Holden pasture has been producing monsters well before they had it. Quantity is management. Quality is genetics

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 07:17 PM

Nothing wrong with helping a deer try to reach its full potential BOBO, I had spoken to Mr. Holden prior to my switch and never once did he try to sell me on DD and the conversation was more directed towards proper management through age, nutrition and a healthy deer density. I am very aware of the difference between Hill Country genetics and South Texas genetics but occasionally you can grow that special buck anywhere. I have grown 170 inch Hill Country Bucks that had a live weight of 225 pounds and maybe DD will help me get there a little quicker. I am a dreamer and maybe I will find that I have reached the top of the mountain with what I have or maybe I will discover that my mountain has a taller peak, wish me luck.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 07:39 PM

Nothing wrong with helping a deer try to reach its full potential BOBO, I had spoken to Mr. Holden prior to my switch and never once did he try to sell me on DD and the conversation was more directed towards proper management through age, nutrition and a healthy deer density. I am very aware of the difference between Hill Country genetics and South Texas genetics but occasionally you can grow that special buck anywhere. I have grown 170 inch Hill Country Bucks that had a live weight of 225 pounds and maybe DD will help me get there a little quicker. I am a dreamer and maybe I will find that I have reached the top of the mountain with what I have or maybe I will discover that my mountain has a taller peak, wish me luck.

I've seen Mason, Llano and a few others hill country genetics taken to 190 plus, you will get there with sound management and a kind Mother Nature, I have no doubt especially since you have gotten to 170 already

That's not the issue. Nothing wrong with experimenting, just as there isn't any thing wrong with paying 18-20k a gun to hunt the chittim. My issue is someone telling me a BS line that before 2013 there where no 200" type deer on Holden pasture. That's BS at its finest. I have yet to slam DD feed, Infact said ---most likely a very good feed. I got friends feeding it, I know it's has a higher consumption rate in some of thier pastures, but consumption isnt the key to 200" deer. ya it helps but lot more to it. It should also be noted they have seen a huge increase in fawn recruitment do to rain last two years also.

When you advertise 60"plus jump as typical.... You're marketing is over riding your butt. That's hard to get done in a native genetic pen setting especially at that age level.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/17/16 08:26 PM

popcorn Put me in the its not a miracle feed category.

Where is ranchman when you need him popcorn

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/18/16 12:06 AM

I believe it's the same deer just not 1 year difference unless that deer was seriously ill the year before.

Even if that deer took that kind of jump that's 60" plus, you are talking about a .00001 of deer that will take that kind of jump on range conditions. In other words you are more likely to find Javi's in plentiful numbers in Refugio.

And yes Holden pasture has been producing monsters well before they had it. Quantity is management. Quality is genetics

This one made me laugh out loud. There's always that one guy in the group that's an [censored]@@@@. Your really living up to your screen name.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/18/16 03:46 AM

I've hunted all around Refugio and have a place in Rockport. Some aren't afraid to call a spade a spade.

Javi's now the Holden pasture secret sauce. I'm still laughing at you trying to tell me that pasture had crap deer before 2013... Biggest joke I've ever heard....lots of tall windy ones from you lately.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/18/16 03:54 AM

I've hunted all around Refugio and have a place in Rockport. Some aren't afraid to call a spade a spade.

Javi's now the Holden pasture secret sauce. I'm still laughing at you trying to tell me that pasture had crap deer before 2013... Biggest joke I've ever heard....lots of tall windy ones from you lately.

up

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/19/16 02:08 PM

I've been feeding it for two years now. Fed over 175 tons of it last year you can say what you want it has made a big difference in our deer. I was feeding L&E feed before fed it for about 6 years. I would not even think about going back. I'm not trying to convince anyone to feed it matter fact I would rather you didn't then I don't have to wait a couple days to week when I order (LOL) feed. I do know we have had some awesome results not saying rain has not played apart in it but I'm in a area that usually only gets about 10 inches a year. Is it worth the difference in the money to me yes to others I don't know they have to make that call.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/19/16 08:56 PM

I will start posting pictures this next week on my progress with DD

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/20/16 02:30 AM

I do know this about DD feed....my bud feeding it on his place near Woodsboro and the deer about to break him in more ways than one....his wife saw the CC charges from Freer for DD and told him either the deer were gonna get cut off or he was....true story. Hmmm dear or deer? confused2
roflmao

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/20/16 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: majekman
I do know this about DD feed....my bud feeding it on his place near Woodsboro and the deer about to break him in more ways than one....his wife saw the CC charges from Freer for DD and told him either the deer were gonna get cut off or he was....true story. Hmmm dear or deer? confused2
roflmao

Well, I know which one I would choose..no wait..the other one...no wait...the first one.....I think I would get a part time job to keep both.
Posted By: FISH TAILS

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/20/16 03:05 AM

I have been feeding it at my stand for the past 2 seasons. I added a second pen last year to try and keep my feeders full. The deer definitely love the stuff. The deer have added mass and tine length. I have a friend that started his ranch in Carta Valley on it this year and they are tearing it up there also. This place has had some rain this year and they are still hitting the feeders pretty hard. It is noce to have a few places on I-10 to pick up bags on the wayout.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/20/16 02:15 PM

We didn't change a thing feed or management wise in the past two years... yet we have had our heaviest weights and most numbers of good bucks with the best head gear we have ever seen to date. We are feeding the same 20% feed we have been for years. The difference is the last two years we have easily had 2 to 3 times the 10 year average rainfall.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/20/16 03:12 PM

IMO it takes a solid 3 years of free choice protein (20,000 pounds a month on the 3000 acres we hunt) before antlers even began to see a difference. Perhaps some of you have been building heavier animals and switched to DD just in time for the antlers to benifit?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/21/16 01:49 AM

I have fed Purina for the last 10 yrs and I feel it's as good as it was going to get. I just filled my feeders today, one week from the last fill with DD. I have never seen the consumption to be as high as it is now from the last 10 years. I viewed pictures last night from game camera's set in the feed pens and I am amazed at the amount of growth in antlers this early into the growing season but we still have a good 2 months of growing to go. Is it the feed, range condition or just healthy deer. I think all the above, but I hope to see an improvement in antlers on my mature bucks 6yrs and older who already have complete body development.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/28/16 01:58 AM

Probably a good feed but the marketing has been even better. Crazy good actually. It amazes me how many disciples/defenders of the feed there are even though it is unproven over a broad base and long term basis, including drought. One thing for sure that has been established is that the deer love it. Maybe in 5 years we will see if it is worth the money.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/28/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Deer Hound
I've been feeding it for two years now. Fed over 175 tons of it last year you can say what you want it has made a big difference in our deer. I was feeding L&E feed before fed it for about 6 years. I would not even think about going back. I'm not trying to convince anyone to feed it matter fact I would rather you didn't then I don't have to wait a couple days to week when I order (LOL) feed. I do know we have had some awesome results not saying rain has not played apart in it but I'm in a area that usually only gets about 10 inches a year. Is it worth the difference in the money to me yes to others I don't know they have to make that call.

Can you be more specific about the difference it has made in your deer?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/28/16 02:13 AM

Looking forward to all of these pics!
Posted By: 974runner

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/28/16 10:58 AM

What is double down feed?
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/28/16 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: rtp
Probably a good feed but the marketing has been even better. Crazy good actually. It amazes me how many disciples/defenders of the feed there are even though it is unproven over a broad base and long term basis, including drought. One thing for sure that has been established is that the deer love it. Maybe in 5 years we will see if it is worth the money.

I give them a very poor rating for response to customers requests. 8 days and no reply. Sorry but I have to feel that my calls for orders will be processed and delivered and 8 days to just get a quote is crazy. If they can't deliver on that, I'm not so sure I would even get the feed when I needed it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:47 AM

Curtis, I am sorry to hear that! I did most my leg work because we did not have a feed store that carried DD in our area. I worked with Jason in Dilly along with the manager of Struttys in Boerne.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis

I give them a very poor rating for response to customers requests. 8 days and no reply. Sorry but I have to feel that my calls for orders will be processed and delivered and 8 days to just get a quote is crazy. If they can't deliver on that, I'm not so sure I would even get the feed when I needed it.

Curtis it's about 20% higher than what you feed now.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 10:46 AM

They can't. They just "feel" good about it because they say consumption is up. It's supposed to be a feed "supplement" not a feedlot situation....or so I thought. What they do know is they are feeding 20% more and paying 20%+ more for good marketing.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:06 PM

They replied to my email with a list of dealers and a guaranteed analysis the same day I requested it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:10 PM

They can't. They just "feel" good about it because they say consumption is up. It's supposed to be a feed "supplement" not a feedlot situation....or so I thought. What they do know is they are feeding 20% more and paying 20%+ more for good marketing.

So now you have gone from being an expert on the feed that you have never used to a spokesman for all the members that have, but decided to put their experiences in your words and perspective. hammer

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:12 PM

So now you have gone from being an expert on the feed that you have never used to a spokesman for all the members that have, but decided to put their experiences in your words and perspective. hammer

Have any facts to post or just run around throwing stones??? The numbers I am posting are facts...and really a little conservative on the price difference.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:21 PM

Aside from the numbers that anyone can obtain and read for themselves you have insulted members for the second time in this thread posting what they know and don't know, inferring that they aren't smart enough to figure out they are just paying 20% more for good marketing. Read your post before hitting the submit button.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:24 PM

Aside from the numbers that anyone can obtain and read for themselves you have insulted members for the second time in this thread posting what they know and don't know, inferring that they aren't smart enough to figure out they are just paying 20% more for good marketing. Read your post before hitting the submit button.

So posting the known facts is now insulting?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:30 PM

If you can't figure out the difference between posting facts and your "they" filled comment about other members then I am not gonna waste my time explaining it to you.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:33 PM

Curtis, I am sorry to hear that! I did most my leg work because we did not have a feed store that carried DD in our area. I worked with Jason in Dilly along with the manager of Struttys in Boerne.

Thank you for responding. They still haven't responded back even after I sent another email to them yesterday. I know people have some busy days and family matters at times, so I can understand especially if its something urgent. But its nine days now, they have been contacted several times and not contacted me back. I sent another email to them just to express my concern and that I'm moving on to look at different feeds. That's all I can say for my experience with them. The cost I'm not too worried about. I also feed Purina's textured deer feed at times and that is about $15/ 50 lb bag. It's fed in harsh conditions and about a month before our short winter season to help make sure they have what they need. All I expect is a phone call or a prompt email back saying they can answer my questions about their feed, tell me how they can get some to me to try(I wouldn't mind buying about 20 bags and try it out in comparison to the Fehner Feed and Purina. Maybe its a better feed for my place, I won't know.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:35 PM

They replied to my email with a list of dealers and a guaranteed analysis the same day I requested it.

That would have been satisfactory to me. I didn't get that but I'm glad they responded to you.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 12:45 PM

If you can't figure out the difference between posting facts and your "they" filled comment about other members then I am not gonna waste my time explaining it to you.

Just wanted to make sure there were a few facts here and not just all an infomercial. Lol

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 03:46 PM

Hey Curtis, I left Jason a message at Dilly Feed to get ahold of you!
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 05:25 PM

Did 2cool infiltrate THF?!? confused2 good grief

Carry on, gentleman cheers

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 07:13 PM

Time will show where the cards fall... Seems like a lot of "ive been feeding it and the last two years have been tremendous" going on, when the last two years have been off the charts for native conditions. Wonder what the numbers will look like when we fall off into our next dry spell. Only time will tell, I hope this post is still around so we can see it for what it really is. popcorn

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 07:17 PM

I know there have been studies done on pastures that were supplementaly fed and ones that weren't and it always shows the outliers on the upper end in good rainfall years. Yes the supplementaly fed do better in dry years than the non fed ones, but both grow above and beyond in wet years, I believe that is what is being experienced. We have already received 1.5-2 times our 10 year average annual rainfall this year and its only 1/2 over, looks like another good year.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 07:20 PM

I agree it will. I don't understand why others on this thread get all butt hurt over guys stating that they like the feed and are fine with paying more.

I'ts no different than choosing to pay more for the truck you drive, the gun you shoot etc...

Time will tell whether or not it was worth the extra money. Just like with the truck, car etc... The only ones that will be having buyers remorse are the ones using their money to buy the higher priced feed. So if that's not you why do you care?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 07:55 PM

I don't believe anyone is getting hiney hurt over someone saying they like it and are fine with paying for it. Its the unsubstantiated gains that are being claimed.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 08:43 PM

If someone doesn't believe the claims they don't have to buy it do they?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 08:48 PM

Of course not.

If somone were to post on here that a bushnell banner scope was the best in the world, better than a swaro or zeiss etc. I bet people would speak their mind about it. No difference here.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 08:53 PM

This is getting better than the HF-LF arguments. I better get some corn popping this may be here a while.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 09:01 PM

Please share Don, ill bring the cheers

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Of course not.

If somone were to post on here that a bushnell banner scope was the best in the world, better than a swaro or zeiss etc. I bet people would speak their mind about it. No difference here.

I agree if it was an outrageous claim like you just gave as your example.

Where are these outrageous or unbelievable claims by members posting about it in this thread?

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 09:16 PM

To me and apparently others the gain claims are not believable that's it. Its a public forum we all got our right to our opinion mine is its a crock and exceptional gains are due to rainfall.

Seems like you don't want people to be able to post their thoughts.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 09:27 PM

No not at all. I just don't like seeing members bashed for saying they like the feed and are happy so far with their results. The members that posted about it are not new members jumping on to troll the thread for DD.

Then they get asked to provide proof by other members that know full well the feed hasn't been used long enough to give them the proof it's better than others that have a larger sampling because they have been around for enough years to have data to evaluate.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 09:27 PM

Hey Curtis, spoke to Jason said he sent you a follow up email

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 09:34 PM

Never seen so much negativity towards a feed, no one is forced to buy anything they don't want. I did my research and visited a couple of ranches that have fed DD for several years, both ranches were located in South Texas and only had native genetics. I saw sheds from several years of collecting and noticed a good increase in mass as compared to the same genetics not being fed DD. That has intrigued my interest if I could see the same type results in my deer herd. That being said, to each his or her own!

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/29/16 10:06 PM

John, You got the hairs up on some of these folks necks. I like it. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 12:04 AM

If someone doesn't believe the claims they don't have to buy it do they?

Yes sir, this.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 12:10 AM

No not at all. I just don't like seeing members bashed for saying they like the feed and are happy so far with their results. The members that posted about it are not new members jumping on to troll the thread for DD.

Then they get asked to provide proof by other members that know full well the feed hasn't been used long enough to give them the proof it's better than others that have a larger sampling because they have been around for enough years to have data to evaluate.

If it hasn't been used long enough to tell why are the holden pasture (some type partial owners or interest in the feed) saying their deer grew 40"+ in a year because of DD ?

This post needed a little true info to go along with the rest of the infomercial part of the post.

The ones getting their feelings hurt are those that bought it but when asked what the facts are to justify the costs they have none. Keep spending all you want on feed I don't care but don't BS the crowd with the unsubstantiated claims. Asking for facts or providing some facts shouldn't get the rise it does about DD feed. There is a reason...

Just as a disclaimer I got pricing and ingredients myself. I also have two cousins in south Texas feeding it this year. They bought in hook, line, and sinker to the marketing. They will finish out the summer this year and will be going back to their old feed for next year.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 12:34 AM

The OP was ten words. Stated a feed store by my house has a certain kind of feed. That's it. This is incredible.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 12:55 AM

It is a complete deer ration to include a mineral package,very high fat content(peanuts) and fiber (cotton seed) from what I have seen on a couple of different ranches that feed DD the body weight and antler growth is remarkable. If you are looking for a distributor in the Boerne area call Petra at Strutty's 830-981-2258 they received their first load of DD Monday and they are already out. She said she can fill your order within a couple of days notice if they are out.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 02:43 AM

Not to push other brands by a main purpose, but from what I'm finally able to find out on price of this feed I'm seeing about $14 a bag for a ton. Well from where I sit, I already use some of Purina's textured deer feed and it's about the same price per bag, except I can get it delivered to my feeders and I don't have to deal with bags and back pains. I know I said we use Fehners, and that is our main feed. We mainly use about 6000 lbs of the Purina deer feed in our feeders in the late fall and through February to help our exotics in winter months. It's also good to mix with some corn and put out in bait piles for the hunters. It's got a nice molasses smell to it. We have noticed our survival rate through those short freezes is much better when we add the Purina feed in the winter.

I don't quite get the fuss over the cost of it because from where I sit it's not the only brand out there charging that much for deer feed right now. I do see how some will feel that maybe Purina or some other brand has more science and experience because that brand has been producing feed for a long time. Easier to trust a known brand I guess. But I'm still willing to give the other feed a shot and see how it does for me. A little competition is good. I know I'm not in the same situation as others with a lease, but a few pms sent to me by members about why I was choosing to use it have prompted me to speak up.

That's all folks. Have a great evening. Someone pass the popcorn and a little salt.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 03:13 AM

I got this figured out I think, txbobcat might be one that feels if the conversation does not request or insist the input of said person he or she feels left out and must create a way to feel needed rather than deprived of the unwanted ability to express ones feelings, in other words does not play well with others and enjoys taking toys away from the smaller kid in the sandbox. I think it might be time to seek a visit from Dr. Phil.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
This is getting better than the HF-LF arguments. I better get some corn popping this may be here a while.

Will it be Indian corn? smirk

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 10:53 AM

I got this figured out I think, txbobcat might be one that feels if the conversation does not request or insist the input of said person he or she feels left out and must create a way to feel needed rather than deprived of the unwanted ability to express ones feelings, in other words does not play well with others and enjoys taking toys away from the smaller kid in the sandbox. I think it might be time to seek a visit from Dr. Phil.

I sure hope you are getting some kind of kickback from these guys or that feed store. You are working hard for them. Lol

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 10:55 AM

Not to push other brands by a main purpose, but from what I'm finally able to find out on price of this feed I'm seeing about $14 a bag for a ton. Well from where I sit, I already use some of Purina's textured deer feed and it's about the same price per bag, except I can get it delivered to my feeders and I don't have to deal with bags and back pains. I know I said we use Fehners, and that is our main feed. We mainly use about 6000 lbs of the Purina deer feed in our feeders in the late fall and through February to help our exotics in winter months. It's also good to mix with some corn and put out in bait piles for the hunters. It's got a nice molasses smell to it. We have noticed our survival rate through those short freezes is much better when we add the Purina feed in the winter.

I don't quite get the fuss over the cost of it because from where I sit it's not the only brand out there charging that much for deer feed right now. I do see how some will feel that maybe Purina or some other brand has more science and experience because that brand has been producing feed for a long time. Easier to trust a known brand I guess. But I'm still willing to give the other feed a shot and see how it does for me. A little competition is good. I know I'm not in the same situation as others with a lease, but a few pms sent to me by members about why I was choosing to use it have prompted me to speak up.

That's all folks. Have a great evening. Someone pass the popcorn and a little salt.

Curtis I was going to say you need to shop that price around on Purina but I saw it said delivered to feeders for that price.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 11:24 AM

I sure hope you are getting some kind of kickback from these guys or that feed store. You are working hard for them. Lol

The posts you made on this thread it looks like you work for Purina or need to see Dr. Phil. confused2

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 12:32 PM

The posts you made on this thread it looks like you work for Purina or need to see Dr. Phil. confused2

Nah not Purina but I can send you location and phone number for feed I am currently using...

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 02:16 PM

Curtis I was going to say you need to shop that price around on Purina but I saw it said delivered to feeders for that price.

There isn't many places that make that mix of Purina textured deer feed that I'm using. Gonzales is one of them. It's mainly used for Whitetail breeders when their does are fawning or for conditioning. I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere when I add up the fuel cost and time to go get it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 06/30/16 02:32 PM

There isn't many places that make that mix of Purina textured deer feed that I'm using. Gonzales is one of them. It's mainly used for Whitetail breeders when their does are fawning or for conditioning. I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere when I add up the fuel cost and time to go get it.

For sure delivered that's not bad.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/07/16 01:35 AM

Looking forward to all the pics promised.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/07/16 01:38 AM

If it hasn't been used long enough to tell why are the holden pasture (some type partial owners or interest in the feed) saying their deer grew 40"+ in a year because of DD ?

This post needed a little true info to go along with the rest of the infomercial part of the post.

The ones getting their feelings hurt are those that bought it but when asked what the facts are to justify the costs they have none. Keep spending all you want on feed I don't care but don't BS the crowd with the unsubstantiated claims. Asking for facts or providing some facts shouldn't get the rise it does about DD feed. There is a reason...

Just as a disclaimer I got pricing and ingredients myself. I also have two cousins in south Texas feeding it this year. They bought in hook, line, and sinker to the marketing. They will finish out the summer this year and will be going back to their old feed for next year.

Can you expound on why your cousins have already decided to switch back to the old feed for next year? And for that matter, if they have decided, why not switch now? Maybe they already bought enough for the year? BTW, Im not a DD fan, just curious.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/07/16 02:39 AM

These are a few of some recent pictures from 2 of my feeders, sorry for the quality using old camera's.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/08/16 01:14 AM

Can you expound on why your cousins have already decided to switch back to the old feed for next year? And for that matter, if they have decided, why not switch now? Maybe they already bought enough for the year? BTW, Im not a DD fan, just curious.

Two parts. Big Bulk feeders and better to switch feeds after they stop feeding this fall and start back late winter. Both bought into the initial hype and jumped on it. The new has worn off and they have added up what their extra costs have been.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/08/16 11:59 PM

Two parts. Big Bulk feeders and better to switch feeds after they stop feeding this fall and start back late winter. Both bought into the initial hype and jumped on it. The new has worn off and they have added up what their extra costs have been.

Gotcha. Tried to send you a PM but your box is full/over the limit.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 01:55 AM

Nutrena antler max. Nice little hill country buck.

Posted By: jshouse

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher

tine length is lacking, spread is solid, nice little hill country buck

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 02:08 AM

cheers

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

He's gonna grow a lotta tine length before oct. He was 223" last year at 3.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 02:26 AM

it was an attempt at humor sir.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 02:50 AM

it was an attempt at humor sir.

You forgot to add a smiley face knucklehead. duel

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 04:18 AM

grin

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/09/16 11:36 AM

this thread is better than a soap opery

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/10/16 03:21 AM

These are a few of some recent pictures from 2 of my feeders, sorry for the quality using old camera's.

Curious, do they give you those giant Double Down stickers to put on your feeders with the purchase of 10 tons?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/10/16 03:29 AM

That is an incredible buck cheers

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/10/16 02:17 PM

Curious, do they give you those giant Double Down stickers to put on your feeders with the purchase of 10 tons?

I would rather have one of those neon green caps you south texas boys run around in.

grin
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 01:01 PM

This native Hill Country buck was in the same county where the OP is feeding DD feed. Wanna guess what he had going for him? Hint is you are not going to find it on any feed label. He was born on a LF Hill Country ranch. Then the ranch was HF fenced when he was about a year old.
Sorry for video quality. I shot this video with an style old VHC camera then had to shoot this video of it off of my TV using my Canon 7D DSLR. The audio is background noise from another TV in the house. So you might just mute the volume.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
This native Hill Country buck was in the same county where the OP is feeding DD feed. Wanna guess what he had going for him? Hint is you find it on any feed label. He was born on a LF Hill Country ranch. Then the ranch was HF fenced when he was about a year old.
Sorry for video quality. I shot this video with an style old VHC camera then had to shoot this video of it off of my TV using my Canon 7D DSLR. The audio is background noise from another TV in the house. So you might just mute the volume.

Genetics, good rainfall, and a patient hunter for 200 Alex?

popcorn

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 01:56 PM

Good to see you back STX

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 08:01 PM

Not sure where some of you guys are getting your average historical annual rainfall data but I hunt in western Pecos County and we have an 14" average annual rainfall. That is in the desert. Frio County is 25"+ annual rainfall average, Maverick County is 21"+ annual average, and Bandera County is 32"+. That is not 10 yr average or a drought period but long term averages. We all know it does not rains 20" at one time or in one month(most of the time hammer). We also all know how dry it was for 2 yrs or so about 5-6 yrs ago now. That meant less antler growth followed by wet years and better antler growth. Not to say that one ranch wont get less or even more than his neighbor but it averages out after a while. Most of South Texas has had good to above average rainfall for the past 2 yrs now. Most areas had great rainfall in the key months the past 3 late winter into spring time frames. Those rains equate to record antler growth years. One thing it did not do was rain age. As a buck matures he experiences antler growth spurts. They do that without supplement.
http://www.usa.com/frio-county-tx-weather.htm
http://www.usa.com/maverick-county-tx-weather.htm
http://www.usa.com/Bandera-county-tx-weather.htm
http://www.usa.com/Pecos-county-tx-weather.htm

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricochet83

This was also there

IMO There is one glaring thing on this label that would scare me if I was feeding it. You are one severe drought away from a serious problem if this feed is a major % of the deer diet. It is like all feeds supposed to be a fed as a supplement, not the major % of the herds diet. From the label "Deer are ruminents and require roughage such a good legume hay for proper digestion". The results will be irreversible and long term IMO. If you are limit feeding it then it might not be an issue.
Can someone point out to me where it shows how much of high quality genetics is added into this feed ration on the label? confused2

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 08:15 PM

I understand what you are saying therancher,I do not have the mineral in the soil that south texas has but I do have some of the same plants and tree's. I have guajillo,persimmon,blackbrush and cactus. I also have mesquite trees and oak trees that produce beans and acorns. I never said rain doesn't help all I said is that rain doesn't change the consumption amount of the protein the deer eat on my ranch.This topic was intended to provide feed back on a protein new to my ranch and how the deer developement was in comparison to a different protein I have fed for the last 10 years. The ranch is HF so my study will be controlled for the most part. I have made no attempt to sell anyone on the protein that I have chosen to use and I do believe that supplements provided to deer can out weigh what is naturally offered towards the development of a healthier digestion system and to include better antler growth.I am just a country boy having fun!

scratch Been on that ranch many times and can say I have never seen either of those two browse species. So post me up some pics so I can see them. worthless
The only notable browse I remember was a little Green Briar, Live Oak and IIRC some Elbow Bush closer to the barn. Not saying there are other higher end browse plants in very limited amounts but the most prevalent was Live Oak which is not a Class I or II plant. That ranch has had great grazing practices and covered in thick grass for the Hill Country, so forb growth is limited to only in the winter months into very early spring. The rest of the deer forage will be low end browse plants. Mast will carry deer in the late summer and fall into winter.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 09:02 PM

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/11/16 09:14 PM

When you get time post up some pics of these same bucks from last year so we can see the difference. We will understand they are a year older now also.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Ricochet83

This was also there

IMO There is one glaring thing on this label that would scare me if I was feeding it. You are one severe drought away from a serious problem if this feed is a major % of the deer diet. It is like all feeds supposed to be a fed as a supplement, not the major % of the herds diet. From the label "Deer are ruminents and require roughage such a good legume hay for proper digestion". The results will be irreversible and long term IMO. If you are limit feeding it then it might not be an issue.
Can someone point out to me where it shows how much of high quality genetics is added into this feed ration on the label? confused2

Yeah but these pro staffers are seeing 40+ gains !!!! Just ask the owner (oops I meant Holden's).

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by txbobcat
Originally Posted by Ricochet83
[Linked Image]

This was also there

Yeah but these pro staffers are seeing 40+ gains !!!! Just ask the owner (oops I meant Holden's).

This buck in the video was around the low 140's class the year before and blew up to this in one year. I have a shed from that year before so I know he was around the low 140's buck depending on his spread. He was fed protein and had the benefit of a tremendously wet year so he had some native Hill Country browse/forb growth as part of his diet. He is a dang nice native Hill Country deer. 40" gains are not unusual on the right deer in the right year. I seen it a few times and the largest jump I have seen was from a mid 180's to upper 240's gross NT from one year to the next. We all know that it is not going to happen to every deer. Those bucks were just the right deer in the right year. There is no feed that has genetics on the label. You either have great genetics or you don't. Feed can only allow you to maximize the genetic potential of that herd.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:37 AM

Feed can only allow you to maximize the genetic potential of that herd.

Feed alone?
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Feed alone?

Here we go...

Turned the Coffee pot on roflmao

I know for a fact my L&E protein tubs added something to some of my Deer ...I just know it did roflmao

All joking aside those tubs are awesome to hold over when you run out before the next feeding up

sorry back

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by txbobcat
Originally Posted by Ricochet83
[Linked Image]

This was also there

This buck in the video was around the low 140's class the year before and blew up to this in one year. I have a shed from that year before so I know he was around the low 140's buck depending on his spread. He was fed protein and had the benefit of a tremendously wet year so he had some native Hill Country browse/forb growth as part of his diet. He is a dang nice native Hill Country deer. 40" gains are not unusual on the right deer in the right year. I seen it a few times and the largest jump I have seen was from a mid 180's to upper 240's gross NT from one year to the next. We all know that it is not going to happen to every deer. Those bucks were just the right deer in the right year. There is no feed that has genetics on the label. You either have great genetics or you don't. Feed can only allow you to maximize the genetic potential of that herd.

Nope the feed was the only reason for that type growth....just ask their salesman!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:49 AM

Feed alone?

It can if needed. But then you would have a herd that is eating to high% of their daily diet as pellets or be inside a breeding pen. Do deer in the midwest maximize their genetic potential on the farmlands in wet years? How do those farmland bucks do in drought years? Why do we see huge swing in deer quality many areas of Texas in very timely rainfall and wet years? Did it rain genetics? Like the quote above the "Feed can only allow you to maximize the genetic potential of that herd.", there is no extra genetic potential added to the feed or food plot. It is there or not there. There is nothing in that statement that guarantees you that every deer will be bigger than they are genetically allowed to be. Just like a yearling buck is not going to have the same looking antler quality he will have when he is mature. He can show signs at a younger age but still not reach his genetic potential in very bad drought years.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 02:20 AM

Feed alone?

It can if needed. But then you would have a herd that is eating to high% of their daily diet as pellets or be inside a breeding pen. Do deer in the midwest maximize their genetic potential on the farmlands in wet years? How do those farmland bucks do in drought years? Why do we see huge swing in deer quality many areas of Texas in very timely rainfall and wet years? Did it rain genetics? Like the quote above the "Feed can only allow you to maximize the genetic potential of that herd.", there is no extra genetic potential added to the feed or food plot. It is there or not there. There is nothing in that statement that guarantees you that every deer will be bigger than they are genetically allowed to be. Just like a yearling buck is not going to have the same looking antler quality he will have when he is mature. He can show signs at a younger age but still not reach his genetic potential in very bad drought years.

So supplemental feed is a tool to help a deer reach its maximum genetic potential, but unless it is in a pen, it will require additional factors and use of other tools to make sure that you see the potential?

Can supplemental feeding replace rainfall?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 03:18 AM

Feed alone?

So supplemental feed is a tool to help a deer reach its maximum genetic potential, but unless it is in a pen, it will require additional factors and use of other tools to make sure that you see the potential?

No other tools and nothing additional if you have great genetics and age structure. Neither one of those are found on a feed label or inside a bag of feed. If you have the time to manage the habitat you can still see better deer with age. Most people are wanting "results now" though. So they pour out the feed with no plan in place for the future.
IMO, Yes on areas with poor habitat that can replace rainfall with feed you can see great results (if you have deep enough pockets). But it is not a supplemental feed at that point. Breeding pens grow big deer with feed only so the same can happen in a pasture situation. You see huge swings in antler quality year after year in Hill Country areas when people start feeding free choice. The best results are in areas with good age structure and good habitat. Just have to have deep pockets to do it large scale year after year. Nothing I would want to do. You can grow browse/forbes for free if you get the rain and can control numbers. Feeding can fill in the rainfall voids. Most people do not take off enough deer once they start to feed IME.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 03:25 AM

I don't remember in any of my post making claims that the feed I am feeding is better than any other protein feed on the market,nor did I request anyone use the protein that I use. I simply made a post that I was trying something different, I find it amusing how many people became defensive and butt hurt over a simple post where I was providing my findings of trying a different protein from what I had used for the last 10 years. I never claimed that DD would override the genetics the deer were given.I did state that I have noticed an increase in mass. I have nothing to gain nor have I been promised anything from DD nor have I said anything bad about any other protein available. For those that have shared your experience with DD with me thank you, for all haters maybe it's time to move on!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 03:58 AM

I don't remember in any of my post making claims that the feed I am feeding is better than any other protein feed on the market,nor did I request anyone use the protein that I use. I simply made a post that I was trying something different, I find it amusing how many people became defensive and butt hurt over a simple post where I was providing my findings of trying a different protein from what I had used for the last 10 years. I never claimed that DD would override the genetics the deer were given.I did state that I have noticed an increase in mass. I have nothing to gain nor have I been promised anything from DD nor have I said anything bad about any other protein available. For those that have shared your experience with DD with me thank you, for all haters maybe it's time to move on!

It is a discussion, some are going to agree and some aren't. Wouldn't matter if you made the claim about 100 other protein brands, the discussion is going to go the same way and there are going to be people that think or react a certain way. To discount rainfall, vegetation and numerous other factors and attribute them to a product in a bag is going to get a reaction also. Is what it is...

With that said, hope you see great increases in antler growth and the product works great for you. Should be a great year up

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 04:06 AM

Feed alone?

Yes. As stated above, in pens it can replace everything but genetics. However, free choice feed in pasture situation depends on the individual deer. Does he like the protein pellet as much as he likes the native browse? And is that native browse low in protein or higher in protein and digestability?

Lots of variables in a pasture.

This year is killing me. I'm doing my best to identify deer that Ive watched. Everything's blown up. I don't even know if that buck in the pic I posted is the deer I thought he was..

I'm hoping as they develop more pronounced antler charactoristics it will become clear. Only difference between this year and last is age and a little more good rain.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 04:21 AM

Yes. As stated above, in pens it can replace everything but genetics. However, free choice feed in pasture situation depends on the individual deer. Does he like the protein pellet as much as he likes the native browse? And is that native browse low in protein or higher in protein and digestability?

Lots of variables in a pasture.

This year is killing me. I'm doing my best to identify deer that Ive watched. Everything's blown up. I don't even know if that buck in the pic I posted is the deer I thought he was..

I'm hoping as they develop more pronounced antler charactoristics it will become clear. Only difference between this year and last is age and a little more good rain.

What about the year that they were born and the years that led up to this one; the rainfall, available browse, and available protein? How much of a factor are those?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 12:19 PM

I'm not going to try to argue all the points about rain or browse it all already been said yes all of that plays apart in what a deer does. I have been feeding DD for almost 3 years now and have seen a difference in mass and additional growth in horns. I don't think there is a feed out there they can make a deer grow beyond his potential but I do think it can help to maximize it. I think it is a matter of all things combined but I do know our deer are steady getting better is it all the feed no I think it is a combination of several things. I'm not tied to Dilley feed one way or the other. I have nothing to gain or lose whether I feed their feed or not. Last year we fed over 150 tons of DD and I have no plans to change.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 12:27 PM

I'm not going to try to argue all the points about rain or browse it all already been said yes all of that plays apart in what a deer does. I have been feeding DD for almost 3 years now and have seen a difference in mass and additional growth in horns. I don't think there is a feed out there they can make a deer grow beyond his potential but I do think it can help to maximize it. I think it is a matter of all things combined but I do know our deer are steady getting better is it all the feed no I think it is a combination of several things. I'm not tied to Dilley feed one way or the other. I have nothing to gain or lose whether I feed their feed or not. Last year we fed over 150 tons of DD and I have no plans to change.

You could have switched from feeding gravel to crushed granite and seen an increase coming out of the drought we were in and into the last few great rainfall years we have had. That is what the rest of us are getting at.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

You could have switched from feeding gravel to crushed granite and seen an increase coming out of the drought we were in and into the last few great rainfall years we have had. That is what the rest of us are getting at.

Do you really believe they needed "the rest of us" to point that out to them? You would have to be an idiot not to understand that!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 01:16 PM

Then there must be a bunch of idiots out there, cause it seems like a lot of people, in this thread as well, attributing their gains over the last couple of years(the first few wet years out of a significant droubt) to DD feed.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 05:11 PM

Hell I just want to know how do I get some of those giant Double Down feed stickers to put on my feeders?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 05:12 PM

150 tons, wow. How many acres and how many acre per deer?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/12/16 05:16 PM

Hell I just want to know how do I get some of those giant Double Down feed stickers to put on my feeders?

Gotta be on the "pro staff" lol

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 12:17 AM

The DD stickers glow in the dark, makes it easier for the deer to find the feeders at night and the bigger the sticker the farther off the deer can see them. Kinda looks like a full moon at night.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 01:43 AM

The DD stickers glow in the dark, makes it easier for the deer to find the feeders at night and the bigger the sticker the farther off the deer can see them. Kinda looks like a full moon at night.

Serious? Where did you get them?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 01:50 AM

Really rtp? You buyin that?
grin

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 02:28 AM

And they give you a packet of there new Peanut flavored Koolaid with each bag you buy too bolt Said to help ease the pain when you get the feed bill. Seems to be working grin

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 02:30 AM

I asked for them from my dealer. I also asked for a hat for my collection.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: majekman

Really rtp? You buyin that?
grin

You know I am. muyloco

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 02:44 AM

I also got a case of peanut butter, the creamy style to help me fatten up for the upcoming winter.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 12:27 PM

Here are a couple of my deer after 2 weeks on Double Down. They absolutely blew up after eating the feed. Im thinking an easy 50 gain.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 12:55 PM

And they give you a packet of there new Peanut flavored Koolaid with each bag you buy too bolt Said to help ease the pain when you get the feed bill. Seems to be working grin

Hahahahaha
Posted By: SFP

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/13/16 02:46 PM

I hope your pins are short? Looks like they would have a hard time jumping out!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 12:21 PM

Amazing the amount of newbies that show up out of the blue with such strong opinions on a particular feed. Funny how this never happened with Record Rack, L&E, AntlerMax, etc. Corn Head dont show us Holden's deer, show us your deer. You have made exactly 5 posts on this site and each one of them was to pimp DD for Holden. Im sure that is how you use the other forums you visit. And dont be coming around here with your foul language son.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 12:22 PM

It seems you're doing as much or more whining than anyone sir.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

Please quote one post that is whining from me. Im neutral in this debate but do like having some fun with it. It is indeed a phenomenon. What I find humorous is the amount of folks that have feed this stuff for one year or less and are raving about it. Not just here but on other sites. I have several friends that have switched to it but they are taking a wait and see approach. BTW, none of this is directed at the OP. He has made no such claims.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 02:37 PM

Good morning too all!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 02:46 PM

yes sir and a good morning to you.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 02:52 PM

popcorn

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 03:02 PM

Good morning too all!

And a good morning to you! Thanks for creating one of the best summer, get-everyone's-bowels-in-an-uproar threads ever. This is awesome! You lucky dog.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 04:56 PM

Looks like someone had to much of that special DD Koolaid after midnight laugh

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 06:04 PM

Please quote one post that is whining from me. Im neutral in this debate but do like having some fun with it. It is indeed a phenomenon. What I find humorous is the amount of folks that have feed this stuff for one year or less and are raving about it. Not just here but on other sites. I have several friends that have switched to it but they are taking a wait and see approach. BTW, none of this is directed at the OP. He has made no such claims.

Wasn't referring to you bud. I think a post was deleted from whom I was referring
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 06:37 PM

Glad to hear some have seen extraordinary results with DD. We have fed L&E for years with great results. Had a couple issues with bulk deliveries so we decided to try DD late last winter. Bought 12 tons from the good folks at DF&G and I mean that. Great folks to do business with. Haven't had to buy any since because we've had so much rainfall again this year. I can tell you that I thought the feed smelled kinda funny. Almost like rubber. I can also tell you that our deer didn't consume more of DD than they did L&E. Actually, they consumed less. Both have been fed during years of similar rainfall and excellent habitat conditions. I was hoping to get some gains over L&E but saw none. One biologist told me to go back to L&E. Another who manages a large Maverick County ranch told me that surrounding properties are and have been producing bigger deer than Holden's pasture for years, without feeding DD.

I'm actually happy our deer didn't take to it because I may have gone broke trying to keep 10 one ton free-choice feeders full in the bad years. Our place is in NNE Webb County. 2,700 acres with 1,800 under high fence. No commercial hunting to defray expenses. Family and close friends only for now.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 06:43 PM

L&E is hard to beat and great people cheers up
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/14/16 09:59 PM

I are having great luck with CO & RN in our feeders....

Ya'll play nice now.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/15/16 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Glad to hear some have seen extraordinary results with DD. We have fed L&E for years with great results. Had a couple issues with bulk deliveries so we decided to try DD late last winter. Bought 12 tons from the good folks at DF&G and I mean that. Great folks to do business with. Haven't had to buy any since because we've had so much rainfall again this year. I can tell you that I thought the feed smelled kinda funny. Almost like rubber. I can also tell you that our deer didn't consume more of DD than they did L&E. Actually, they consumed less. Both have been fed during years of similar rainfall and excellent habitat conditions. I was hoping to get some gains over L&E but saw none. One biologist told me to go back to L&E. Another who manages a large Maverick County ranch told me that surrounding properties are and have been producing bigger deer than Holden's pasture for years, without feeding DD.

I'm actually happy our deer didn't take to it because I may have gone broke trying to keep 10 one ton free-choice feeders full in the bad years. Our place is in NNE Webb County. 2,700 acres with 1,800 under high fence. No commercial hunting to defray expenses. Family and close friends only for now.

I think the "cool" factor is going to wear off pretty quick as those larger feed bills start to pile up and there isnt a noticeable increase in antler size across the herd. Im not bagging on DD as a quality feed, I just dont think it warrants a premium as it is still an unproven product across the state.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/15/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
L&E is hard to beat and great people cheers up

Yep. I feed it for 7 years after switching from Record Rack. Great feed and great people.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/16/16 02:04 AM

A few pictures from one of my protein feeders

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/16/16 02:28 AM

The first picture is 3 buck fawns from last year, the second picture is the same buck fawns a year later on DD. Just kidding, just thought I would throw that out there for all the DD haters!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/16/16 02:54 AM

All the pictures of the deer at protein feeders are from last year, ALL these deer are a year older and soon we will see how much bigger they have gotten!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/16/16 12:54 PM

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/usergals/2016/07/full-8304-70927-sunp0714

All the pictures of the deer at protein feeders are from last year, ALL these deer are a year older and soon we will see how much bigger they have gotten!

They usually get larger every year into maturity...but keep the infomercial rolling... The DD stickers point at the cams is a nice touch.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/16/16 04:17 PM

Did you hear that breaking new discovery BowsnRods, bucks get larger every year into maturity! Thanks for this great insight txbobcat! hammer

Great pics of some nice bucks, keep them coming. cheers
Posted By: TexasDirtNap

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/16/16 08:22 PM

To the people bashing Double Down. Don't knock it until you try it! Simple as that. And if you can't afford it then don't complain about it. Since I was 10 I have been managing this ranch with my dad and just this year alone with DD I have noticed three changes. 1. The deer are eating the protein at a faster rate. 2. They are growing at a faster rate this year and putting on good body weight. And 3. I haven't been able to match a deer up from last years to identify which buck they are because of how much they have been changing and growing. I am pleased with DD and the deer will keep getting it. Sorry if it upsets you that's someones ranch is doing so well

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 03:25 AM

Im just going to leave this right there...

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=1323810&page=11

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 12:13 PM

A post by one of the "hidden" owners promoting the feed??? Lol

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 01:19 PM

When most of the posts are by the guy pimping the feed, you can leave that anywhere. The guy pimping the feed stated he only had 9" of rain in 2014, and we know that's BS. When another poster states that his pastures are the greenest in years and his feed consumption with DD is 55% higher than the previous year (which was the previous record), I have to be skeptical as I haven't seen similar results anywhere in all my years of hunting/messing with deer. If deer are bypassing their preferred forbs and browse to get to a feed then one of two things is going on...poor quality forage or the deer herd is well above carrying capacity.

Sorry, but I've been doing this far too long to drink any more koolaid. I tried 12 tons of DD and saw no change in results in Webb County. I'm back to a proven 20% ration and mineral pack. I hope those feeding DD and their dealers enjoy incredible success.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 01:29 PM

Broadonarod=cornhead=Holden.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 04:53 PM

Exactly what are you leaving? Pretty much everyone knows what Holden is doing. The real question is if that can be replicated across the state from feed in a bag. Time will tell but if I was a betting man I know which side of the line my dollar would fall. There are some serious operations that have made the switch. They keep meticulous records on everything including how much rainfall, consumption rates, as well as all of the usual deer data. In 5-7 years, it will be known if this feed is what it claims to be or just another marketing gimmick that seems to plague the hunting industry.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 05:07 PM

I don't feed it but based on all your experience what is it about the feed that would cause you to bet against it living up to it's claims?
Posted By: NEVAGA

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 05:32 PM

Feeders are for lazy people
Posted By: Aim Small

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: NEVAGA

You've obviously never filled feeders.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Aim Small

You've obviously never filled feeders.
and I never will.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 05:52 PM

Feed wars are getting better than the HF-LF wars. I just made a trip to Kerrville for more pop corn.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 06:59 PM

Exactly what are you leaving? Pretty much everyone knows what Holden is doing. The real question is if that can be replicated across the state from feed in a bag. Time will tell but if I was a betting man I know which side of the line my dollar would fall. There are some serious operations that have made the switch. They keep meticulous records on everything including how much rainfall, consumption rates, as well as all of the usual deer data. In 5-7 years, it will be known if this feed is what it claims to be or just another marketing gimmick that seems to plague the hunting industry.

I understand what you are saying but if you would read the testimonials and listen to what people are saying about they feed you would see that is already happening. I am not feeding DD on 9 ranches because I think its "cool" I'm feeding it because it works. I pay the same amount for the feed as everyone else. Several pastures on the King Ranch, Kennedy, and Junco have switched. I doubt they did it because its the "cool" thing to do. Everyone has their own opinion and each hunter has a different budget, maybe DD isn't for everyone but I will say everyone I have talked to that is feeding DD has been very pleased.

Have a good day guys.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 07:21 PM

Feed wars are getting better than the HF-LF wars. I just made a trip to Kerrville for more pop corn.

I hope you brought the trailer too your going to need it. popcorn

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 08:10 PM

I understand what you are saying but if you would read the testimonials and listen to what people are saying about they feed you would see that is already happening. I am not feeding DD on 9 ranches because I think its "cool" I'm feeding it because it works. I pay the same amount for the feed as everyone else. Several pastures on the King Ranch, Kennedy, and Junco have switched. I doubt they did it because its the "cool" thing to do. Everyone has their own opinion and each hunter has a different budget, maybe DD isn't for everyone but I will say everyone I have talked to that is feeding DD has been very pleased.

Have a good day guys.

"each hunter has a different budget, maybe DD isn't for everyone"

This part of the argument that keeps getting thrown out there isn't doing DD feed any favors. Some guys keep trying to insinuate that those who don't believe or won't drink the koolaid are driven by finances (or lack thereof).

I can't speak for anyone other than myself. I can afford to feed whatever and as much as needed, but I'm not going to throw an extra $50-$100/ton at something that doesn't get me a 15%-25% improvement in herd health, body weights, fawn survival and inches of antler. I tried DD and saw no change, other than less consumption by some of our deer.

This entire DD thing reminds me of that old saying Fletcher used on the Senator in Outlaw Josey Wales roflmao

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 08:25 PM

I heard that the Republican National Convention will be discussing DD and its Usefulness in destroying Isis. " Lets make Feeding Deer Fun Again" Pretty catchy slogan! I am a true supporter of the NRA,TDA,SAPOA,CCA and DD'A. My Friends Life is too short, we all want to grow the biggest deer possible and most will take chances at trying different products to accomplish this task! I am one of those people, please find this post as an opportunity to share experiences and not blasting on those who do!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 09:37 PM

Have a good day guys.

I dont think anyone is saying it isnt a good feed. The question is whether or not it is better than the proven feeds that have been on the market for years. It hasnt been around long enough to know one way or the other. The range conditions have been phenomenal of late after many years of drought or below avg rain. That has hindered getting a good year over year comparison. People are paying a premium for the feed because it is something they believe in but that will change if they are feeding more, paying more per ton for it and the feed doesnt live up to its claims. Like I said this is going to be a wait and see game. Holden and his army have marketed the hell out of it so kudos to them. That is what any business should do. Now it just has to live up to the marketing claims. I hope it is what it claims to be. By the time I decide to get back into the game it should be known and would make things a lot easier on growing big deer. Instead of a pasture full of mature 130"+ bucks, it should be full of mature 160" bucks. One thing that is for sure, it dang sure makes them fatter.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/18/16 10:30 PM

rofl roflmao

Wait till the resident expert that's shot 2 deer in their Life chimes in roflmao

Would it help if I shot the Deer eating the said feed with a .223 roflmao

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 01:17 AM

I don't feed it but based on all your experience what is it about the feed that would cause you to bet against it living up to it's claims?

Sorry missed this earlier.......a lifetime of marketing claims not being met I suppose. The hunting and fishing industry is full of them. I guess Im a little more cautious than some. If I had a proven feed that I was satisfied with, I dont think I would jump on a new feed lock stock and barrel. I would have probably switched out a couple of pastures for a couple of years to compare. Again, I got out of the game last year so I dont have a dog in the hunt, just an opinion like everyone else.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Wait till the resident expert that's shot 2 deer in their Life chimes in roflmao

My favorite.

The guy who hasnt ever managed a property with anything but a bullet shooting "culls" to help the deer herd is a close second.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 01:27 AM

Mine will just have to struggle with corn here at the house and peanuts and wheat in the panhandle.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 01:57 AM

Only Pet deer use feeders

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 02:53 AM

I will defend DD fee to the extent that their calcium to phosphorous ratio is closer to 1:1 than most feeds ratio of 2:1. Phosphorous is expensive so some premium over other feeds can be expected. I've always thought that, feed that had an ideal ratio of 2:1 being fed as a supplement on phosphorus deficient range, didn't make much sense, because it wouldn't make up for the shortages in the natural food.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 04:01 AM

I simply can't afford to feed DD feed. This yearling and 3 2 year olds would be way too big at 3 and 4 to be affordable to the larger market.

I'll just have to keep on feeding antler max to keep my bucks affordable.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 12:47 PM

Only Pet deer use feeders
troll

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 12:48 PM

Sorry missed this earlier.......a lifetime of marketing claims not being met I suppose. The hunting and fishing industry is full of them. I guess Im a little more cautious than some. If I had a proven feed that I was satisfied with, I dont think I would jump on a new feed lock stock and barrel. I would have probably switched out a couple of pastures for a couple of years to compare. Again, I got out of the game last year so I dont have a dog in the hunt, just an opinion like everyone else.

up

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 06:44 PM

Since you were kind enough to leave this here, I decided to peruse the comments and photos. Page 44, post number 437 shows almost one month's growth. Do you consider that to be impressive results from the DD feed? Looks VERY average if not a bit below to me. Can't wait to see astounding before and after photos from others feeding (and not pimping) DD deer feed.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: A.B.
Mine will just have to struggle with corn here at the house and peanuts and wheat in the panhandle.

The struggle is real. How will they ever survive?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/19/16 07:34 PM

This is as fun as the "Keep It Going" thread. popcorn

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/20/16 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

I dont know about that.....popcorn keeps getting stuck in my teeth.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/20/16 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A
Originally Posted By: A.B.

The struggle is real. How will they ever survive?

I know right. They are so puny.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/20/16 02:33 AM

We have got to get you a hobby. grin
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

We have got to get you a hobby. grin

I live a simple life. lol
Posted By: PNOAK

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 05:23 PM

I will give my .02cents on the feed,I will start off by stating ,I do not know the Holdens or ever hunted there ranch,I had been feeding AntlerMax for 4 years and decided to try out the DD just because of the hype surrounding it,I hunt on a lease with 9 other guys and everyone is required to feed protein,We all have our own areas that we hunt-No community stands so in a sense we are competing against one another for deer and who will have the biggest buck frequent there area,I to was surprised at the increase in cost to use this feed,but I can justify another 100 dollars a month if it works,I can tell you with out a doubt that my deer activity increased by double and the amount of feed that goes through my protein feeders has doubled as well,I started this switch spring of 2015 and have been maintaining the protein consistently and will continue till November,Now I cant say for sure that the bucks of last season had a significant jump in antlersize,but I know I saw more bucks than the rest of the guys on the lease,I feel like the coming season will tell the tale if it really works for horn production,but I am simply satisfied just by the effectiveness of it to draw the deer in to my area and keep them there.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 06:02 PM

I just wouldn't be able to afford this feed since the deer already eat up to 2500 lbs a month of my inferior feed.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: PNOAK
I will give my .02cents on the feed,I will start off by stating ,I do not know the Holdens or ever hunted there ranch,I had been feeding AntlerMax for 4 years and decided to try out the DD just because of the hype surrounding it,I hunt on a lease with 9 other guys and everyone is required to feed protein,We all have our own areas that we hunt-No community stands so in a sense we are competing against one another for deer and who will have the biggest buck frequent there area,I to was surprised at the increase in cost to use this feed,but I can justify another 100 dollars a month if it works,I can tell you with out a doubt that my deer activity increased by double and the amount of feed that goes through my protein feeders has doubled as well,I started this switch spring of 2015 and have been maintaining the protein consistently and will continue till November,Now I cant say for sure that the bucks of last season had a significant jump in antlersize,but I know I saw more bucks than the rest of the guys on the lease,I feel like the coming season will tell the tale if it really works for horn production,but I am simply satisfied just by the effectiveness of it to draw the deer in to my area and keep them there.

Great input to the thread. up

What I've learned from this thread from members that actually feed it:

The deer seem to really like the flavor and are attracted to it.

They consume more which is usually a good thing, not always.

It has a higher phosphate % that may be part of the reason for more antler growth claims by DD.

It costs about 20% more than the rest of the protein feeds offered.

If I start feeding protein and they start offering it in the panhandle I'll give it a try.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 07:42 PM

I recently used Double Down feed and it grew the testicles on my bucks to 5 times their normal size.

But then some of them fell off.

Gotta take the good with the bad, you know?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I recently used Double Down feed and it grew the testicles on my bucks to 5 times their normal size.

I thought you were gonna admit to eating it yourself after seeing that growth.... roflmao

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/21/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

I thought you were gonna admit to eating it yourself after seeing that growth.... roflmao

Dang it, that's what I should have said...

Oh well.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 12:47 AM

Low deer density if your feed bill was only $100 a month.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 12:49 AM

I just wouldn't be able to afford this feed since the deer already eat up to 2500 lbs a month of my inferior feed.

Just think you could be feeding 5000 lbs a month with DD! grin

Some of these places have become pretty much borderline feedlots and not really "supplemental" feed anymore....but that's really another thread.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 02:01 PM

The $100 represents the increase per month to what I was paying for Antlermax ,
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 02:15 PM

Label says "Guranteed". hammer

How can you trust anything on there as being accurate?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 05:27 PM

So double the quantity plus $100 a month?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Reminds me of the tommy boy movie scene.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 06:01 PM

So double the quantity plus $100 a month?

My initial investment was basically an additional $100.00 a month (i.e.- the added cost difference between Antlermax and DD for what I was buying to fill a 1000 pound feeder,I have since added another ,so my cost have doubled-But I have a lot of deer eek2

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 06:04 PM

You don't want to be the guy that hunts next me cry

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 09:53 PM

You don't want to be the guy that hunts next me cry

Just put out rice bran they will leave protein for it. Lol

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 10:40 PM

you can take a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head....

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 11:10 PM

you can take a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head....

That still makes me giggle rofl

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/22/16 11:31 PM

Thank you for keeping the post going while I was in Louisiana.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 12:14 AM

Thank you for keeping the post going while I was in Louisiana.

We didn't want you to lose your pro staff status. They will come repo those feeder stickers!!
Posted By: Contender

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 02:50 AM

https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2lln31/double-down-deer-supplement-llc
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/oagnews/release.php?id=3771

Hmmmm...feed aside, not sure my morals would allow me to be a part of that pro staff.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 02:58 AM

haha, first post and straight to the deep end, nice.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 03:26 AM

I am not affiliated with DD feed nor a Pro Staff Member for anyone, I simply feed DD protein. I find it amusing at the number of follower's of this post that have never fed DD but yet make claims that they have a friend of a friend who fed DD and it showed no positive results for them and then we have the one's that feed DD and have fed DD for a good period of time and provide positive feed back of their experience but yet the positive responses are receiving the negative criticism. If you don't like what's on this station change the channel!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 03:38 AM

I am not affiliated with DD feed nor a Pro Staff Member for anyone, I simply feed DD protein. I find it amusing at the number of follower's of this post that have never fed DD but yet make claims that they have a friend of a friend who fed DD and it showed no positive results for them and then we have the one's that feed DD and have fed DD for a good period of time and provide positive feed back of their experience but yet the positive responses are receiving the negative criticism. If you don't like what's on this station change the channel!

serious question, when did DD hit the market? that wiki profile above shows a date of 9/2015, its been out longer than that though right?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 05:19 AM

I have been feeding DD since January of 2016 and have only compared it to the growth I have seen from deer last year at this time on a different protein. I stand by my observation that my deer are growing antler at a faster rate and the appearance of more mass than years past. Please note I have fed the same protein prior for 10 years which would indicate that all deer on my ranch have been privileged to protein their entire life so there should not be concerns that a person cannot see results to feeding protein for only one year.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 11:47 AM

John, How about 8 am at the OST on Wednesday?

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 02:55 PM

I have been feeding DD since January of 2016 and have only compared it to the growth I have seen from deer last year at this time on a different protein. I stand by my observation that my deer are growing antler at a faster rate and the appearance of more mass than years past. Please note I have fed the same protein prior for 10 years which would indicate that all deer on my ranch have been privileged to protein their entire life so there should not be concerns that a person cannot see results to feeding protein for only one year.

I'm glad you the feed is making you feel good. Other than increased consumption and a higher price there have been zero other facts related to the feed and antler growth mentioned in this post.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Contender

The marketing has been pretty shady about that Holden pasture also...seems like a pattern.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 05:01 PM

Don I will see you at 8am at OST on Wednesday, I will bring my new DD syrup best I've ever had over flap jacks, hell you can put it on a tuff piece of meat and it makes it so tender you can cut it with a fork.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 06:55 PM

Don I will see you at 8am at OST on Wednesday, I will bring my new DD syrup best I've ever had over flap jacks, hell you can put it on a tuff piece of meat and it makes it so tender you can cut it with a fork.
You might get in touch with the OST and let them know whats going on in case they need to bring in some extra staff. Going to be a lot of folks wanting to try it.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 07:15 PM

I wonder if they would put a DD sticker on their door.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 08:16 PM

I wonder if they would put a DD sticker on their door.

Only if your paying me to! Lol

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 08:18 PM

That would be easy to sell at the Golden Corral steak buffet.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 09:29 PM

clap I can take a carp in a box and stamp it guaranteed if you want me to, I've got the time... rofl

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/23/16 09:39 PM

serious question, when did DD hit the market? that wiki profile above shows a date of 9/2015, its been out longer than that though right?

Wondering the same thing. How could all of these people be swearing by its results if it hasnt even been on the market a year? That has to be wrong.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/25/16 02:03 PM

I have been feeding it over two almost 3 years.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/25/16 02:30 PM

Will be interesting to see how all these gains hold up... We have had a WET last two years and spring of the current year on our little south texas slice of heaven, but as I was afraid of, the rainfall has fallen flat on its nose. Drove from San Antonio to Rockport this weekend and the country side is dry as a popcorn fart. Was happy to get some feed and water out to our constituency, but it wasn't DD.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 01:06 AM

Here are a few recent pictures. I am happy so far with the results I am getting!

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 12:09 PM

They are looking great. cheers

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 12:11 PM

Wondering the same thing. How could all of these people be swearing by its results if it hasnt even been on the market a year? That has to be wrong.

That is the date they registered as an LLC. Many businesses start out as sole proprietorship before forming LLC.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 12:53 PM

This march I will have been feeding it for 3 years. As a couple said before I was a Idiot and wouldn't know granite from gravel. I will be the first to admit my deer just are not growing to their potential I guess I need to seek some help and try to find something different.
3 year old been on DD most of his life

Several more just not what they should be

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 01:05 PM

Cant forget my Axis I'm afraid I stunted them and will probably need to cull and start over

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 02:18 PM

Those are nice deer, but nothing extraordinary about them to indicate DD is better than any other feed. That's a helluva Axis up

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 02:59 PM

I never claimed it be be. All I ever said was I had seen a difference from my previous feed then everyone wanted to start with the name calling when they don't even know me or what I have going on. I honestly could care less what someone feeds.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 03:49 PM

Glad you've seen improvement over your previous feed. Again, nice deer.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Those are nice deer, but nothing extraordinary about them to indicate DD is better than any other feed. That's a helluva Axis up
I never claimed it be be. All I ever said was I had seen a difference from my previous feed then everyone wanted to start with the name calling when they don't even know me or what I have going on. I honestly could care less what someone feeds.

Those are extraordinary in my world. Thanks for posting the pics and ignoring all the useless comments. cheers

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 04:06 PM

Thank you and I know to some they are nothing special about them but to me they are that is the results of ten years of very intense work. I do not have to deep pockets that some are luck enough to have. We did not have a ranch given to us. I'm not jealous of those who did. We have had scrap to make things work I'm just try to use any advantage I can to improve what I have. Is there better ways yes is there a better feed I'm sure but this seems to be working for us.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 04:26 PM

They are great looking Bucks. That DD feed seems to really do them some good.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 04:42 PM

You should see the deer in my backyard after I spilled my whey protein last year. One buck gobbled it up and I tell you he must have grew 100 inches since then.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 05:38 PM

You should see the deer in my backyard after I spilled my whey protein last year. One buck gobbled it up and I tell you he must have grew 100 inches since then.

Must have eaten it right after he dropped the previous seasons rack. grin

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 05:42 PM

Wow, can't believe it DD feed must really work... even on trucks! Passed this tundra earlier today and not only was it taller than a normal tundra, it had more mass on its tires... they must have taken notes from Yeti, the sticker works wonders! roflmao

Maybe if I get one of them stickers my Ecodiesel will turn into a Cummins
grin

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 06:05 PM

Thank you and I know to some they are nothing special about them but to me they are that is the results of ten years of very intense work. I do not have to deep pockets that some are luck enough to have. We did not have a ranch given to us. I'm not jealous of those who did. We have had scrap to make things work I'm just try to use any advantage I can to improve what I have. Is there better ways yes is there a better feed I'm sure but this seems to be working for us.

I was afraid my comment would be misinterpreted. DD has made a bunch of extraordinary claims about their feed. Your deer are very nice and are representative of what happens with sound management, great genetics and a good nutritional program. By no means did I intend to demean your efforts or the quality of your deer. My apologies.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 06:08 PM

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 07:47 PM

Looks awfully lush and green in those pics for south texas.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 08:16 PM

Looks good Haiden, Refugio or Webb?
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 08:38 PM

Nice looking deer Haiden. up

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/27/16 09:29 PM

Looks good Haiden, Refugio or Webb?

Live oak county. Thanks for the compliment Richard.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/28/16 03:06 AM

Awesome looking bucks, if you find that you have become over run with bucks not living up to your expectations from feeding DD I will add them to my bucks who also have become a custom to DD so that their insufficient diet can continue to deprive their ability to grow adequate antlers.

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/28/16 08:20 PM

That is the date they registered as an LLC. Many businesses start out as sole proprietorship before forming LLC.

gotcha...makes sense up

Re: Double Down Feed - 07/28/16 08:22 PM

This march I will have been feeding it for 3 years. As a couple said before I was a Idiot and wouldn't know granite from gravel. I will be the first to admit my deer just are not growing to their potential I guess I need to seek some help and try to find something different.
3 year old been on DD most of his life

Several more just not what they should be

great looking deer sir

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/01/16 03:55 AM

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/01/16 04:14 AM

Some great looking deer, should be a great year up

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/01/16 04:16 AM

Some great looking deer, should be a great year up

Im pretty fired up. We got some good rains last week in the right places. Should be a excellent year.

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/01/16 04:34 AM

Awesome looking bucks, I am very happy with my results and will post new pictures Tuesday.

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/01/16 05:34 PM

DD buck

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/02/16 12:30 AM

Deer hound did you use to own a place in irion co ?

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/02/16 01:04 AM

No sir been on this ranch 11 years

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/03/16 02:27 AM

Just a few native hill country deer!

Re: Double Down Feed - 08/03/16 12:40 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics. cheers
Posted By: redog

Re: Double Down Feed - 02/03/17 03:25 AM

I have a small place that i have set up a 600lb protein feeder for the first time...fenced it off and now getting DD to fill...My question is with DD do i need to mix corn in with it to get them started on it?...How long does it take for them to start eating it?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum