Texas Hunting Forum

Hog hunting in this cold?

Posted By: 70elcamino

Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 02:40 PM

It’s 12 degrees here, wind chill of -2. Anyone brave enough to hunt in it?
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 03:24 PM

I went this morning and checked snares, no hogs or coyotes, almost got a turkey. It is very windy and over 30 deg, so not bad.
Tomorrow morning I will stalk hogs and maybe they will be out longer trying to get some extra calories.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 04:28 PM

Go get 'em, Dan!
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 06:34 PM

I hunted from 7pm last to 5:30am around Meridian Saturday night. Temps started out in the upper 30s ended up at 18 degrees. Seen lots of coyotes but never a Hog.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jhop
I hunted from 7pm last to 5:30am around Meridian Saturday night. Temps started out in the upper 30s ended up at 18 degrees. Seen lots of coyotes but never a Hog.

Maybe they are holed up in dense cover?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Originally Posted by Jhop

Maybe they are holed up in dense cover?

Use ta find them in swichcain, palmedda plants & downed trèes @ OSBWMA.
flag
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/14/24 11:13 PM

Went out last night. Four hours, 14 properties check, 4 deer seen as well as cattle. Did not see hogs. Did not see coyotes. Did not see raccoons. Did not see any other hunters.

I am guessing that for the first night of the cold snap, they hunkered down. They will get hungry. It isn't like they are keeping warm in their nice middle class homes. They will need calories to stay warm.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/15/24 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
They will get hungry. It isn't like they are keeping warm in their nice middle class homes. They will need calories to stay warm.

I'm hoping it will drive the pigs into my 3 corrals with feeders going and I can start setting the triggers. I'm afraid I let off the gas last year and now I have a real problem. bang
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/15/24 01:39 AM

I had guys here at the ranch hunting last night. Of course they were in stands with heaters. They killed and saw a bunch of hogs last night, pigs were moving good. Funny thing, Friday night was dead.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/15/24 06:33 PM

Left the ranch around 9 am yesterday in Taylor county and at 11:20 am, a big group showed up at one of the feeders. I swear they post a look out at the ranch gate. bang
Posted By: 70elcamino

Re: Hog hunting in this cold? - 01/21/24 10:55 PM

Maybe it just me, I hunt hogs for the fun of it, and in this too cold and too windy time, it just doesnt sound like fun.
Hope to get out there on thursday this week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum