Texas Hunting Forum

Twofer & Three More

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Twofer & Three More - 07/06/18 07:24 PM

Nearly four hours into my hunt last night and I had seen hogs (big sounder) next to a property I hunt, a smaller sounder on a property that I hunt (but then lost them when the landowner drove up to see how I was doing, LOL), and then finally on this property.

I have hunted this property a few times in the past. The cattle here are unpredictable. The bulls are protective and sometimes the cattle run away and sometimes they are very curious. Last night, the cattle were curious and some followed me on my stalk to the hogs. I had hoped to stalk beyond the cattle and have a 180 degree field of fire but because some came with me, I was limited to about 90 degrees. Even so, I managed to drop 5 hogs, the first two with a single shot. Twofers are always a bonus!

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/06/18 07:48 PM

A double with a 90 grain varmint bullet at 100 yards - WOW

Its too bad the cattle were in the vicinity that curtailed more shot opportunities for sure.

Info from Speer on that little number

TNT® Bullets

Explosive and accurate. TNT® gives you what you want most—superior on-game performance. A thin precision jacket and internal fluting ensures complete bullet disruption. Because of its great accuracy and impressive terminal performance, TNT has become one of Speer® Bullets' hottest sellers.

•Thin precision jacket and internal fluting ensure explosive performance on impact
•Accurate at long ranges
•Proven bullet design
•Great long-range accuracy
•Excellent for varmints
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/06/18 08:15 PM

cheers
Posted By: mikei

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/06/18 10:34 PM

Good work, DNS. I do hope that the bulls understand that you are NOT a heifer, and that you are NOT interested in any of their harem members! eek
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/06/18 11:02 PM

clap good shooting
On top of the round bales areas
Do you find any hogs eating cow poop ?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 12:04 AM

Very nice! Good video on exactly how it's done! Great job taking down the runners.

Keep After 'Em!

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Deadend
clap good shooting

That would assume that I am smelling their breath or getting close enough to check what they are munching, LOL. Seriously, when I sometimes do open hogs' mouths to see what they are eating (if stuff is hanging out) I have never specifically checked their mouths when they are on the hay detritus. I will try to keep that in mind for the future. up

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
clap good shooting

That would assume that I am smelling their breath or getting close enough to check what they are munching, LOL. Seriously, when I sometimes do open hogs' mouths to see what they are eating (if stuff is hanging out) I have never specifically checked their mouths when they are on the hay detritus. I will try to keep that in mind for the future. up

I ask because I do not hunt fields that have cattle most the fields you hunt do
The couple of fields that I have hunted with cattle I could have swore I saw signs of them eating poop
Just wondering if you have noticed it or confirm if my observations were true
Most the videos with large numbers of pigs are close to cattle, could this be one of the reasons
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 02:15 AM

I haven't seem evidence of hogs eating cow patties, but they do turn over dried ones looking for grubs or insects (or maybe young plant shoots) that exist beneath them.

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel
I haven't seem evidence of hogs eating cow patties, but they do turn over dried ones looking for grubs or insects (or maybe young plant shoots) that exist beneath them.

That could explain a bunch,but wondering if there is undigested grain they are after

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 02:50 AM

That could explain a bunch,but wondering if there is undigested grain they are after

That would be more along the line of what you might expect from eating horse droppings. Cattle, with their chewing of cudd and multiple (4) stomachs usually do a very good job of processing what they eat. Compare cow pies with horse droppings where you find intact stalks, grains, and leaf sections.

I think dT may have it. The hogs are likely looking for stuff attracted to, or growing from (mushrooms)the cow pies more so than eating the cow pies.

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/07/18 02:54 AM

That would be more along the line of what you might expect from eating horse droppings. Cattle, with their chewing of cudd and multiple (4) stomachs usually do a very good job of processing what they eat. Compare cow pies with horse droppings where you find intact stalks, grains, and leaf sections.

I think dT may have it. The hogs are likely looking for stuff attracted to, or growing from (mushrooms)the cow pies more so than eating the cow pies.

10-4 In any case, cattle pastures seem to be a gold mine of pork
Keep on killing
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/08/18 07:42 AM

Good job DNS. Heck of shot to nail two at once. up
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/08/18 01:15 PM

up
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Twofer & Three More - 07/08/18 05:16 PM

bang ok thus thread just went ta the flush sepuraten the bs from d rest of d crap.
Video not shown, me app tis old. rifle keep your head held high & your powder dry.
flag
Posted By: Hogz

Re: Twofer & Three More - 09/11/18 02:30 AM

Great video as always.. nice shooting !
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Twofer & Three More - 09/11/18 03:03 AM

Lot of piggies. Good vid.

Re: Twofer & Three More - 09/11/18 09:14 AM

Thanks, guys!
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Twofer & Three More - 09/11/18 06:40 PM

Looks like the bullet is performing pretty good along with awesome shooting!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum