Texas Hunting Forum

Will hogs eat pinto beans?

Posted By: Denogean3

Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/27/18 11:01 AM

So I work for a place that gets rid of a lot of pinto beans. They are raw but after they get a little humid they start to smell pretty bad. So the idea popped in my head. Should I make a roll barrel filled with these pinto beans? Looked online and can't find any answers. Has anyone tried it?
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/27/18 11:49 AM

Hadn't tried to feed feral hogs soaked beans, but I raised pigs in high school and they ate any and everything from the slop bucket. I'd say it's worth a try.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/27/18 12:34 PM

Put them out on the ground with a game camera to watch and see what eats them...before putting them in your barrel.

Hogs eat a lot of things, but that they may eat anything does not mean they will choosingly eat everything. I tried for three years to get hogs to eat pumpkins. Never worked.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/27/18 05:20 PM

Yes!
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/27/18 05:28 PM

They won't eat oranges either
Posted By: GLC

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/27/18 05:33 PM

They will only eat them with cornbread. up
Posted By: Denogean3

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/28/18 01:08 PM

Bar-D thanks, I think I will try it.

Double Naught that was my plan. I get the beans for free so I won't lose anything if it doesn't work, but if it does I save a few bucks.

White Falcon, I hope they do!

GLC I'll throw in some BBQ ribs and make it a meal!! partyon555
Posted By: mikei

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/28/18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Denogean3
So I work for a place that gets rid of a lot of pinto beans. They are raw but after they get a little humid they start to smell pretty bad. So the idea popped in my head. Should I make a roll barrel filled with these pinto beans? Looked online and can't find any answers. Has anyone tried it?

Absolutely worth a try! The ones around here in Central Texas will eat just about anything they come across, including the decomposing bodies of other hogs and animals they happen across. We'll all be interested in what you find out with your experiment!!
Posted By: FroggerZack

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/29/18 02:46 AM

Initially maybe not so much. But after they figure out what they are I bet they will love them. Be sure to put a little bacon in with them so they taste better...
Posted By: maxscm

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/29/18 12:51 PM

Soak them in water and white Salt
Or just add salt to the rotten beans.
Posted By: Cajunrotor

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 06/30/18 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC

roflmao
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 07/02/18 06:11 AM

Originally Posted By: GLC

They need something to help filter the OFF GASING. blush
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 07/20/18 08:15 PM

Quote:
They won't eat oranges either

Mine will......
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 07/20/18 09:45 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion you will have good luck with the beans. They eat most everything like nuts and acorns and stuff that falls off of trees, so beans should work well. I would not hesitate to try them.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 07/21/18 11:22 AM

We used to cook pinto beans in 55 gallon drums and feed to feeder hogs on my grandfather's farm in southern N.M. They liked them.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 07/21/18 02:21 PM

mix with ham hocks
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Will hogs eat pinto beans? - 07/21/18 03:35 PM

So no updates and the OP hasn't posted on the forum since his last post here. yawn
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum