Texas Hunting Forum

how much you think this weighs?

Posted By: CollinCountyCab

how much you think this weighs? - 06/11/18 01:04 PM

Son is 5'5" weighs in at 160lbs....12yrs old. 7:50pm Friday 20yrds with a .223.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/11/18 01:39 PM

I think your son weights 160 lbs. It is right there in the text! roflmao

Seriously, taking pictures at weird angles and poor light does nothing to help with eyeball weight assessment. People don't normally see hogs and people like that, together, such that this would even be a remotely normal circumstance for weight assessment.

In the future, just carry a measuring tape. Take a heart girth measurement. That is where you pull the tape around the hog just behind the front legs, IMMEDIATELY behind the front legs at the armpits. Pull the tape down tight enough to compress the hair. Take the number of inches and multiply by 10 and then subtract 200. So a 41' measurement would be 210 lbs. A 37' measurement would be 170 lbs. This won't work for pigs under 30 or 40 lbs or thereabouts.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/11/18 05:16 PM

Do what DNS said to determine weight. It’s accurate and quickly gives a weight. Poor kid had to lay next to a pig that likely has ticks and fleas, plus he’s laying in taller grass that probably has chiggers. The first thought I had when seeing the photo is the pig(s) evened the score.

Congrats on a nice pig.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/11/18 05:54 PM

Between 150-170. Can’t think of a good reason to ever lay next to a wild pig.
Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/11/18 06:19 PM

That's the rookie in me. Kids took photo, although I wouldn't have known.... Going to take wifes tape measure from sewing room and put in backpack! Can't wait for her to see the next pig photo!!!!
Posted By: chalet

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/12/18 02:47 AM

Funny pic, but man I'd be scratching nonexistent itches for a week after laying in the grass next to that filthy critter.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/12/18 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: CollinCountyCab
That's the rookie in me. Kids took photo, although I wouldn't have known.... Going to take wifes tape measure from sewing room and put in backpack! Can't wait for her to see the next pig photo!!!!

Whally world sells the tapes in fabric section. It will be cheaper than Flea/Tick collar you will wear in the dog house. wife
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/12/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
only after closing time
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/12/18 02:06 PM

I use inexpensive steel tapes. They don't stretch like a fabric tape will.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/13/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
only after closing time

Gold!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: how much you think this weighs? - 06/13/18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I use inexpensive steel tapes. They don't stretch like a fabric tape will.

Probably not quite as good, but I have a couple of small plastic measuring tapes that were promo giveaways. They don't seem to stretch, although I doubt that they'll last forever.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum