Texas Hunting Forum

9 Down in Grayson

Posted By: KRoyal

9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 06:29 PM

2 weeks ago we killed the sow and a smaller male.

Then last week went out and saw something in the tall wheat but thought it was rabbits in the thermal because of how small they were. Didn't give it a second look and drove right up on them and they all moved together about 40 yards away. Was just a bunch of small hogs from the same group the previous week no big pigs. Got set in between them and the fence line, thinking they'd run the opposite direction. Wrong! they ran right for us, I could have punted one of them. We popped one each first shot and when they started running I shot one as they ran right by us.

Last night went out and same group of little hogs were bedded down in a corn field and we popped 4 of them. Only 2 left in this pack.

Worst part is I walked up on one that was still alive and I was going to put him out of his misery and pulled my thermal up right close to my eye and didn't even shoulder the weapon fully and pulled the trigger. Edge of the thermal caught me right on the forehead got a pretty good gash and will probably leave a scar.

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 07:10 PM

Rookie

roflmao
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 07:27 PM

Put a steak on that scope bite and call it good

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Rookie

roflmao

Yea, I know I wasn't thinking at all last night. Had my eye right up to the lens like I was spotting and just flicked the safety off and popped him. Surprised the hell out of me when it popped me back LOL.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 07:52 PM

Anybody can shoot a big pig, but it takes more skill to shoot the piglets! Good job!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Rookie

roflmao

Yea, I know I wasn't thinking at all last night. Had my eye right up to the lens like I was spotting and just flicked the safety off and popped him. Surprised the hell out of me when it popped me back LOL.
I’m glad the Pulsar Apex has a nice long eye piece I’d hate to get scope eyed when shooting the 12 gauge

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Anybody can shoot a big pig, but it takes more skill to shoot the piglets! Good job!

Thank you sir!!!

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Rookie

roflmao

I’m glad the Pulsar Apex has a nice long eye piece I’d hate to get scope eyed when shooting the 12 gauge

The FLIR came with one, but I like it without it and makes it a way more compact package. Buttttt..... It really would have helped in this situation HAHA.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 10:06 PM

Why does it need to be any more compact? Are the 2" of soft rubber eye cup somehow in the way?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 10:20 PM

Dammit Kyle!!! Don't do that roflmao

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/09/18 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Why does it need to be any more compact? Are the 2" of soft rubber eye cup somehow in the way?

With my SBR while spotting most time I have it off my gun but when it is on and that micro stock is all the way collapsed it throws me off when I shoulder the rifles because the rubber piece jams in my eye. Just so used to using it without it now.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/10/18 02:30 AM

Scope-Eye!

Yep, been there, done that.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/11/18 11:05 AM

Well now ya have a war wound(kinda) Live and learn!
Posted By: mikei

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/11/18 12:07 PM

As Peyton Manning would say: "Rub some dirt in it!" (Glad you're OK, though.)

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/11/18 04:17 PM

It is healing good not as bad as I thought it was gonna be.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 9 Down in Grayson - 05/11/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Dammit Kyle!!! Don't do that roflmao

How did I know that was coming....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum