Texas Hunting Forum

Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 04/29/18 06:45 AM

Try as I might , I had this gun listed in the classifieds for a month and no takers - so I brought it with me this weekend to see if it still works for killling swine.

Got setup before dark near an entry gate to a large field, winds were from the South so I picked the South East corner which in my mind conceded any chance of pigs crossing the road behind me instead I would look to cover all pathways from the north and east.

Earlier in the day I put my Pulsar APEX XQ50 on the Noreen BN-36 semi auto and zeroed it in at 100 yards. The Berger 140 grain VLD bullets cruised over the chronograph at around 2900 FPS and grouped in under an inch. Before I left the hill we use as a range I checked point of impact at 50 yards and verified it was 2 inches low.

Sat quietly in position for 4 hours and no pigs, I exited the truck to bag up and try elsewhere and heard a grunt, behind me (downwind). I quickly flipped on the power to the rifle and saw a group of pigs staging along the road outside of the property gate 25 yards to my position. I had left some corn and pig bait dust in the bed of my truck as a cover scent but with the moonlight and close distance I knew they’d bust me quick if they entered under the gate.

I watched closely as two pigs intruded onto the field and in doing so they gave me a shot opportunity with a berm behind them.

Glad I new where my 50 yard point of impact is - I placed the reticle right on the top of the head of Mr. Intruder and let it fly.

His buddies didn’t stick around and I collected a couple of photos for the archive.

The rifle works great - might use it some more until somebody buys it off me....

laugh
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 04/29/18 03:26 PM

Way to go, a Lot of safe guns still got it to get the job done.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 04/29/18 07:06 PM

Good job on that porker. The old .270 will take care of a lot of business here in Texas!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 04/29/18 07:12 PM

Well done!

So that is what you will use on Monday night???

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 04/29/18 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Well done!

So that is what you will use on Monday night???

Yes, unless somebody buys it before then

popcorn
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 04/29/18 11:52 PM

up

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 05/01/18 04:17 PM

The rifle has been relisted in the THF Classifieds : http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7156674#Post7156674

Went out with DNS last night to Bosque County - we laid eyes on 4 pigs and shooting in tandem with the 270 AR and his 6.5 Grendel we dispatched all 4 wheat field intruders. We were able to recover a few VLD bullet fragments from a couple of the boars.

180 lbs - 59 yard shot - through the shoulders, recovered offside hide

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

175 lbs - 220 yard shot - through the body recovered on offside shoulder

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

VIDEO BELOW

Posted By: mikei

Re: Punishing an Intruder with 270 Win AR - 05/01/18 04:32 PM

More good work with one of my favorite calibers! banana
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum