Texas Hunting Forum

Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/30/18 10:45 PM

This is the second pig I've been able to take down using Federal's MSR Fusion ammo. This was a much smaller subject than the last therefore no bullet recovery was made as it was a complete pass through.

I was invited to ride along with DoubleNaughtSpy to one of his hunting properties that he eradicates hogs and predators on, Elk Springs Ranch in Saint Jo Texas. This is a high fenced property with native and exotic species and the hogs are unwanted intruders who entered through a downed perimeter fence last year.

As I sat on my perch and watch the deer and other animals feed below the hogs appeared from the South, quietly watching and exploring the feeding opportunities via sentinel (scouts) who would make passes to see what was on the ground.

I consider this property a one shot opportunity with its abundance of exotic species and their associated price tags but honestly I could of easily dispatched the scout pigs at anytime.

I texted DNS to see if he wanted to hot foot it from his position (about 1/2 mile away) to the ridge to shoot with me and he said no take a pig if the opportunity was there.

Well, like a fool - I waited too long hoping the whole sounder would emerge providing me with a double kill opportunity or a larger (adult) pig. Nope without warning this group of juveniles started departing the area and I needed to invoke Plan B pretty quickly to move the tripod and gun to a different point on the ridge.

All in all it works out in the end with a dead 70 lb sow but boy was I sweating it for a minute thinking they were leaving and I was going to have to explain how I watched them leave.....

The tripod helped immensely with providing a steady base to make the 150 yard shot from my ridge to their hill.

This was a fun hunt and I appreciate the invite DNS!

Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/30/18 11:52 PM

clap they never make it too easy

rifle taz
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/31/18 01:41 AM

Pig_Popper was set up on a bluff overlook about 80 feet above the area he was initially hunting. It is a great spot. I was also on that same lower level and my approach would have been from the same direction as the wind, so there wasn't any way I could participate, LOL.

He did a good job of trying to wait for an adult to show itself, or an opportunity for a twofer, but that just didn't happen. I don't think I could have waited that long.

Good job!
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/31/18 08:46 AM

up
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/31/18 04:28 PM

Nicely done
Posted By: mikei

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/31/18 04:38 PM

Good job! Keep on poppin' those piggies!!
Posted By: HansETX

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 01/31/18 05:31 PM

Heck yeah!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Young Sow removed from it's sounder - 6.5 Grendel Federal Fusion 120 grain hunting report - 02/04/18 12:24 AM

Good Shooting!
I doubt that I would have been so patient.

Keep After 'Em!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum