Texas Hunting Forum

Sightmark photon

Posted By: Retired Sgt. Gilliam

Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 01:47 AM

Anyone shot a Sightmark photon about 300 yards? I have mine sighted in for 100 yards. Missed 3 pigs about 280 yards. Need to test it past 100 yards I guess
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 01:51 AM

What you need to do is get a big target and see what your drop looks like at 200 and 300. What caliber are you shooting?

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 01:55 AM

243. I have shot and killed hogs at 300 yards with it in a regular scope. Fight time with this Sightmark photon though. Guess I will test it soon for range. Could hear the pigs squealing later so maybe hit one. Don't know
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 02:00 AM

Those scope aren’t ideal for longer ranges. If hunting in the dark why not stalk closer to them and then shoot, it’s easy.

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 02:06 AM

Yeah. Will have to test shoot at 200 and 300 yards. Then if that don't work stalk it is. Don't have a problem with it.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 03:30 AM

I have only used mine at night, and I can't really see targets much past 100 yards with my illuminator. On the other hand, if the moon is out I can see over half a mile.

But I'm not that great a marksman so I usually try to get closer.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 03:33 AM

I have a doubler on my photon. With a good ir and some moonlight 300 yds should be very possible.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 04:52 AM

A couple of suggestions

The Photon can see as far as you can cast light. Most of the mounts and mounting locations work against you for shooting the IR beam at 300 yards - so you might want to use an IR light that is separate from the weapon system that you know is set to illuminate at those distances

Also landscape is going to fight you, ridges and valleys play heck with splash back and shadows so the pigs will be there one second and then gone in a flash - might be running or might have fallen into a depression or in high grass...

Good luck and be safe
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 05:38 AM

How much holdover did you use?

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 01:10 PM

[quote=glocker17]How much holdover did you use? glocker1
Holdover?

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 01:11 PM

I have a separate ir light
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Retired Sgt. Gilliam
[quote=glocker17]How much holdover did you use? glocker1
Holdover?

I think we found your problem.

Don't know the specific load you are using, but you probably have ~8" or so of drop at 280 yards with a 100 yard zero. If you didn't have ~8" of holdover to compensate, your shots went low.

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/28/18 06:40 PM

Just wanted to make sure the scope being digital didn't have something to do with it. Thanks. I think I got it. Going back old school
Posted By: Bullitt

Re: Sightmark photon - 01/31/18 04:27 PM

Is it a newer version? The newer ones are much better i.m.o. most of them have max. Distance for clarity.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum