Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Jerky??

Posted By: briancooper

Hog Jerky?? - 01/24/18 09:00 PM

I shot a healthy hog over the weekend and was thinking about making some hog jerky. I have a Traeger that gets up to about 180 degrees on the smoke setting which should kill any bacteria in the meat. Has anyone done this? Is it good? Can it be done???
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/24/18 09:02 PM

No idea and no thanks.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/24/18 09:50 PM

Nothing wrong with pork jerky, do it. Teriyaki with lot of crushed red pepper flakes.
Posted By: PappyG1

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/24/18 09:51 PM

Made some with the HI Mountain jalapeno cure. Mesquite smoked. Pretty tasty.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/24/18 10:06 PM

I've thought about it a number of times, but always passed. Doing jerky out of hog, it will have to pass the 160 degree mark to be safe...which is the same as just cooking it. You are just playing with some dangerous stuff doing jerky out of hogs.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/25/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: PappyG1
Made some with the HI Mountain jalapeno cure. Mesquite smoked. Pretty tasty.

This
Made with black pepper garlic blend, grind it up fine
And use jerky shooter
Smoke it up
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/25/18 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
No idea and no thanks.

X2
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/25/18 04:10 PM

Have had quite a bit of it that was not smoked to an internal temp to cook/kill bacteria. Soaked in a salt or sugar cure rolled in course pepper and other seasonings COLD smoked nothing even probably approaching 100 degrees. It was good, really good and I lived to tell about it.

It was also probably always frozen. I wont do it, but it can be done.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/25/18 07:41 PM

Dried meat is not a good host for bacteria.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog Jerky?? - 01/25/18 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I've thought about it a number of times, but always passed. Doing jerky out of hog, it will have to pass the 160 degree mark to be safe...which is the same as just cooking it. You are just playing with some dangerous stuff doing jerky out of hogs.

This is the problem. While trichinosis is not really all that prevalent in feral hogs (according to my sources), it's there and you don't want to be the unlucky one who gets it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum