Texas Hunting Forum

Javelina??

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Javelina?? - 01/09/18 11:45 PM

Why is a javelina hog considered a game animal?
Posted By: songdogslayer

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/10/18 12:08 AM

Just a guess, but because its native to Texas?
Posted By: buzziebells

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/10/18 12:14 AM

Two things: One, a javelina is not actually a “swine”, it is a collared peccary. No relation to a hog. Two, javelinas are native, or indigenous to the state of Texas. Only indigenous species are regulated by TP&WD. Hope this helps.
Posted By: songdogslayer

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/10/18 12:14 AM

Other hogs were introduced by settlers in 1539 or at least that's what google said
Posted By: TAT

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/10/18 12:21 AM

They are actually a rodent.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/10/18 12:43 AM

Good to shoot, bad to eat.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Javelina?? - 01/10/18 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: buzziebells
Two things: One, a javelina is not actually a “swine”, it is a collared peccary. No relation to a hog. Two, javelinas are native, or indigenous to the state of Texas. Only indigenous species are regulated by TP&WD. Hope this helps.

Yes, I read this after I posted that!!! Thanks!!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Javelina?? - 01/10/18 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Unless Nav is around....I hear he is pretty good at preparing them....
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Javelina?? - 01/10/18 04:10 AM

I guess a large rat would be okay to?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Javelina?? - 01/10/18 02:46 PM

LOL! If you haven't read "King Rat" by James Clavell, you should.

Actually, in my opinion, it's one of those books that should be required reading in high school.

As a side note, Clavell was indeed a prisoner in Changi, Singapore during WWII, and the hidden radio described in the book really existed. It's on display in the Imperial War Museum in London. I've seen it.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Javelina?? - 01/10/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Unless Nav is around....I hear he is pretty good at preparing them....

I have to admit I tried javelina tacos this year and it was not as bad as I thought. grin

Re: Javelina?? - 01/10/18 02:53 PM

If squirrels are game animals I guess javelinas can be too. I sent my wife this picture and she called it the giant vampire mouse.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/11/18 01:44 AM

They eat good to me. Once skinned it’s a whole new ballgame.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Javelina hog?? - 01/11/18 02:03 AM

More related to a dog than a pig. They eat fine, just gotta be careful with that scent gland.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Javelina?? - 01/11/18 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
If squirrels are game animals I guess javelinas can be too. I sent my wife this picture and she called it the giant vampire mouse.

roflmao She was right about that!

Re: Javelina?? - 01/11/18 02:39 PM

Makes a wicked Euro. The next day I boiled the head then hit it with the pressure washer.

Posted By: trigger time

Re: Javelina?? - 01/11/18 06:38 PM

Those SOB's are all I saw this year. First time I went to re fill my feeder they actually came up and started eating with me standing there, maybe the craziest thing I've seen in the woods. The novelty soon wore off when the little ones figured out they could get in the feeder pen and the big ones kept everything else ran away.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Javelina?? - 01/11/18 06:47 PM

Sure do!
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Javelina?? - 01/11/18 08:56 PM

I grew up in South America where there a couple of different sub-species (white collar and also white-lipped, which are bigger and more aggressive) and we *always* ate them. As some have mentioned, you have to be careful with the musk gland or it will taint the meat, but if you know how to cook them, they're fine. Even less fat on them than on wild hogs, so braising or smoking works well. I found it amusing when I moved to Texas and most hunters I met said they didn't mind shooting them but rarely ate them.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Javelina?? - 01/12/18 12:52 AM

OK, so here’s a question...

Javelina are game animals, and lots of people shoot them, but very few eat them. Does this fall under the heading of wanton waste? A whitetail would, so???
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Javelina?? - 01/12/18 02:42 AM

Yes. Make Jerky!
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Javelina?? - 01/12/18 02:56 AM

I am the only guy I know that ate one of those things, it was pretty good. There are some things that a man can't be forced into tho.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Javelina?? - 01/13/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Adchunts
Javelina are game animals, and lots of people shoot them, but very few eat them. Does this fall under the heading of wanton waste? A whitetail would, so???

That is my understanding.

Don't want to eat them, don't shoot them.

At least don't talk about not eating them. peep
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Javelina?? - 01/14/18 02:11 PM

I would think they would make decent sausage. May shoot one next year to try that theory.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Javelina?? - 01/14/18 02:17 PM

Ya know, those of us that have dined on a grilled javelina loin and hams can easily tell those that have not. Just say'n.... grill
Posted By: Stxflood

Re: Javelina?? - 01/16/18 05:05 PM

I like it best in a stew, chili or carne guisada. Going to try souse vide as soon as the machine I ordered comes in
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Javelina?? - 01/16/18 07:00 PM

someone i know just received a warning for wasting a Javelina. I would have never thought of eating one.
Posted By: MO

Re: Javelina?? - 01/16/18 07:48 PM

Not related to a rodent or a dog,
They are pigs , New World pigs as opposed to old world pigs , but pigs none the less.

Some one needs to brush up on basic biology. smile

MO
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Javelina?? - 01/16/18 07:58 PM

You must use the meat... its a game animal... and you will get a ticket or if your lucky a warning...

What I dont get is I see so many people post how much they like eating wild hog on here... you are out of your mind if you think a wild hog taste better than a javi... if i could relate javi to anything it would be a lean rabbit... 100% the meat even looks the same and cooks almost the same other than trying to dry on you a bit quicker... but cooked right its such a small animal that them meat can be much more tender than a wild hog and better flavor imo.. and just like feral pigs its all about how its handled when a knife is put to it

And what MO said they are pigs... just different family as the hogs we know..

Re: Javelina?? - 01/16/18 08:00 PM

Iv got two in the cacacoola right now one I shot and one another guy didnt want but he did take the time to clean it and all before he gave it to me...

Ill be cooking some up this week chef
Posted By: Alim

Re: Javelina?? - 01/17/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel

LOL! If you haven't read "King Rat" by James Clavell, you should.

Actually, in my opinion, it's one of those books that should be required reading in high school.

As a side note, Clavell was indeed a prisoner in Changi, Singapore during WWII, and the hidden radio described in the book really existed. It's on display in the Imperial War Museum in London. I've seen it.

Great book. Movie was pretty good too. I've visited the prison. Hard to believe the cruelty that took place there.

Re: Javelina?? - 01/17/18 02:06 AM

nidea
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum