Texas Hunting Forum

Ghost hog down

Posted By: Wacm

Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 03:22 AM

Sat on a tripod yesterday waiting for an old nobrow 6pt buck I call gun rack. Got in early cause he's 7 years old and smart. Saw lots of deer..

This little buck kept getting stomped at the feeder so he just walked around in circles

Then at prime time this old boar walks out. I call him ghost cause for 2yeats I only have night pictures of him. He comes out around 10pm and all night till around 5. I kind of just forgot about him recently till he stepped out.

The young buck was doing his circles and wandered off to my right. Then he comes bolting out of there and I hear rocks and movement out he comes just as cautious as ever. He would walk three steps and freeze and then walk and freeze.

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 03:38 AM

I put the phone down and picked the bow up. He was not going to the feeder like I thought. He just walked right by. The feeder is 30yards and he was just passed it so I'm guessing 35y. I grunted at him and he stopped and spun around like he was going to fight something. I got ready.. he turned to face the feeder to look that direction. Perfect broadside. As I drew I noticed his shields didn't have fur. Just rough skin. I sent an arrow right into the top of his heart and one lung if not both. He spun around and I could see about 16 inches of my 28inch arrow sticking out as he ran back from where he came. The blood trail was amazing..there were places were the drops were solid streaks of blood.

The tripod is on the very edge of a plateau. He ran down the hill. The shot was perfect but he had the hill to his advantage and he covered 200yards I'm guessing. I couldn't believe it. The trail was so solid but he just kept going. He was in a drainage area so it was a straight path down a steep hill.
Found him piled up. Looked like he died in stride. He was such a cool boar. Shredded ears and worn down scarred up shields.

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 03:39 AM

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 04:25 AM

Good job tracking him.

Nice cutters.

What did he weigh?

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 05:02 AM

I'm guessing 240ish. I really wanted to get him on the truck but enddd up removing his hams and straps. It was tough moving him downhill.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 05:12 AM

Nice one! Looks like wart hog in some of those pics! That guy was an old warrior!
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 11:25 AM

Good job shooting and tracking. He had a heck of blood trail. up
Posted By: Retired Sgt. Gilliam

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 01:20 PM

Mean old bastard.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 01:24 PM

I tip my hat and tell everybody good job when they take a pig.

When they take a big with a bow, I do the same.

When they take a BIG, OLD, SMART pig with a bow, I salute them!

You done good, Sir!
Nice story and photo setup too!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 01:47 PM

Nice one....awesome cutters....congrats.... up
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
I tip my hat and tell everybody good job when they take a pig.

When they take a big with a bow, I do the same.

When they take a BIG, OLD, SMART pig with a bow, I salute them!

You done good, Sir!
Nice story and photo setup too!

This

He will make a super cool euro mount

Congratulations on a trophy boar
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 02:34 PM

Nice going. Excellent job, particularly for using a bow!

Keep After 'Em!
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 07:22 PM

Good Job up
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 08:14 PM

That would make a great Euro mount, nice kill.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/08/18 09:08 PM

Awesome! Bow kills are so much more rewarding.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/09/18 08:55 PM

Well Done......

Anything with a bow is a trophy. Good story. great pics. Almost felt like I was walking with you on the blood trail/
Posted By: easttexasdiver

Re: Ghost hog down - 01/22/18 12:03 AM

Nice
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum