Texas Hunting Forum

Full Auto Hog Hunting

Posted By: rich20730

Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 02:11 PM

New YouTube video with some more direct comparison footage between several NV and thermal optics including the Pulsar Apex XQ38, Pulsar Helion XP28, FLIR Vue Pro 640 19mm, and L3 Gen 3 White Phosphor NV; and of course, full auto!

Posted By: mikei

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 02:38 PM

Good going! Full auto in what caliber?
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 02:48 PM

Pretty good footage there!

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 03:04 PM

Minute Mark 1:20

Does full auto shooter move position towards shooter on his left and nearly get taken out ?

Looks like an awful close call

scared
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 04:33 PM

Good video. I like the comparisons of optics.

Not impressed with the lethality of the full auto shooting, particularly in the second example with the lone hog and 2 shooters. Still, I would like to give it a try sometime.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 05:52 PM

The one lone hog with full auto was really cool
clap
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 08:03 PM

Yep guy in the middle damn near walked right in front of the other shooter.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 08:23 PM

Lotsa flyin' lead !!

Looks like a good time for all but the hogs. smile
Posted By: rich20730

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: mikei

9mm. Not exactly a hog round, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to try it out! Probably would have killed more if I just used my 6.8, but it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. My buddy said he would bring some M16 lowers next time and we'll give it a whirl with 223.

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

Does full auto shooter move position towards shooter on his left and nearly get taken out ?

scared

Yea, it looks sketchy in the video, but it really wasn't that close. I think the camera compresses the perceived angles and distances of our positions in relation to one another. With the full moon we could easily see each other with un-aided vision and I know I was well clear of his muzzle when I stepped forward. The video also makes it look like I'm shooting back in his direction when I was actually shooting farther out in front of us.

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Not impressed with the lethality of the full auto shooting, particularly in the second example with the lone hog and 2 shooters. Still, I would like to give it a try sometime.

Thanks! Yea, it worked about as well as expected for 9mm 147 grain FMJ's, haha. That was only my second time shooting full auto and the first time I've used it for hunting. There is definitely a learning curve to controlling muzzle rise and keeping rounds on target. I think I was generally able to connect with one round for each string of shots at close range, but I was pretty much relying on pure luck as far as shot placement goes.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: rich20730
Originally Posted By: mikei

9mm. Not exactly a hog round, but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to try it out! Probably would have killed more if I just used my 6.8, but it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. My buddy said he would bring some M16 lowers next time and we'll give it a whirl with 223.

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

scared

Yea, it looks sketchy in the video, but it really wasn't that close. I think the camera compresses the perceived angles and distances of our positions in relation to one another. With the full moon we could easily see each other with un-aided vision and I know I was well clear of his muzzle when I stepped forward. The video also makes it look like I'm shooting back in his direction when I was actually shooting farther out in front of us.

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Thanks! Yea, it worked about as well as expected for 9mm 147 grain FMJ's, haha. That was only my second time shooting full auto and the first time I've used it for hunting. There is definitely a learning curve to controlling muzzle rise and keeping rounds on target. I think I was generally able to connect with one round for each string of shots at close range, but I was pretty much relying on pure luck as far as shot placement goes.

thanks for clearing that up, good video.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/30/17 10:38 PM

Ah, that would explain the full auto reports. I didn't know if that was an issue with the mic or what, but being 9mm makes sense. Thank you!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/31/17 12:56 AM

The night vision looked great, although it was obvious there was a lot of moonlight.

My Photon NV could see over half a mile on nights when the moon was greater than a quarter and high in the sky. That and just before dawn were my favorite times to hunt.

Nice going on the hogs!
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Full Auto Hog Hunting - 12/31/17 01:57 AM

Watched that boar get nuked about five times
That 9 mm sounds great
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum