Texas Hunting Forum

Drone driven hog hunts

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Drone driven hog hunts - 12/22/17 07:12 PM

OK, another post got me thinking, if hogs will run from a helicopter maybe they would run from a drone if flown close enough to them.
Here's the challenge, getting a pack of hogs in daylight to run toward someone using the drone to herd them to the shooter. It would probably require some practice, but you never know, might be somewhat easy. Could take multiple drones and would be fun to have multiple shooters at the other end too...

If the drone could catch all that on video, that would be awesome! Watching them running along then just getting cut down from above. Would be a pretty neat video to watch.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 12/22/17 07:39 PM

They do run from drones. In just about every drone video I have seen, the hogs run from drones. Some folks already use them for that.

The trick is to have a drone with thermal and have drone have the capabilities, and the pilot with the capabilities to fly the drone without crashing it out in the sticks where you can't get to it.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 12/22/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
The trick is to have a pilot with the capabilities to fly the drone without crashing it out in the sticks where you can't get to it.

Agreed. We tried it with a buddies drone and it's not easy to find them in the woods without crashing in the woods.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 12/22/17 10:29 PM

I haven't seen any posts from Hog Rush for a while but he posted this in April.

Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 12/23/17 01:03 AM

That was a great video from rush

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 01/03/18 05:32 PM

I found this in the TWPD site. https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

Remote-controlled Hunting
A person may not engage in computer-assisted remote hunting of any animal or bird or provide or operate facilities for computer-assisted remote hunting if the animal or bird being hunted is located in Texas.

Aircraft
Aircraft may not be used to hunt any animal or bird unless authorized by the department.

Does this mean drones are illegal for hogs, sounds that way to me?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 01/03/18 05:42 PM

Pretty certain that's to address the guy that came up with the idea for a web-cam'ed rifle. Hogs are authorized to be shot from from helicopters and ballons, so would be rather odd for drone-pushing hogs to be illegal.

Re: Drone driven hog hunts - 01/03/18 05:50 PM

Helicopters are authorized by the department though, no? I'm not overly concerned with it as when we tried it, it didn't produce good results. I was just looking at the legality of deer hunting with a pistol and thought of this thread.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum