Texas Hunting Forum

Never figure 'em out

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Never figure 'em out - 12/17/17 12:12 PM

Shot a buck on the river yesterday. I had a long walk to him, 269 yards. It took me a few minutes to gather up my pack and a few other things from my prone position in the weeds. I made my way to him and as I was kneeling down, getting ready to tag my deer, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. About 15-20 hogs right out in the open with me on the river bed, walking towards me. I've killed more hogs than I can count, but never been this close, right out in the open at about 30 yards. I was in full camo, still had my hood and everything on. I assume they had no idea what I was, just something crawling around on the ground just like them. I just knew if I moved they'd spook, but I got down on my gun which was resting up on my bipod and shot the biggest one right over my deer. I shoot a Rem. 5R Milspec, Hornady SST, 165 gr. The buck was drt, high shoulder slightly quartering away. The hog was close, like 30 yards. Shot was quick, high on the shoulder but back a little. This is one of the few hogs that wasn't dead on the spot with this bullet, but only made 15 or so yards into the bushes.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Never figure 'em out - 12/17/17 12:28 PM

Good work! And you're right: they are one of the most unpredictable animals I've ever hunted!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Never figure 'em out - 12/17/17 01:32 PM

Good job and great story.... up
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Never figure 'em out - 12/17/17 02:03 PM

clap

rifle taz
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Never figure 'em out - 12/17/17 03:01 PM

up
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Never figure 'em out - 12/17/17 10:09 PM

Yep pretty random creatures.
Nice double.
Sounds like deer and pig sausage time!!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Never figure 'em out - 12/18/17 01:43 AM

Gotta like having hog surprised with your deer!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum