Texas Hunting Forum

Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm

Posted By: cliffie

Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/14/17 02:02 PM

I usually loop a steel cable around the upper jaw/snout and hang them head up to skin. Could it be easier if I went head down?
Once saw them skinned by attaching to a steel tube above (head up) and then the skin was pulled off with a boat winch tied to the ground.
Posted By: earl39

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/14/17 08:29 PM

I like the head down method but to each his own
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/14/17 08:32 PM

I have always skinned head down, but that is the way I was taught a long time ago. I do deer the same way. I am sure both methods are effective and the method used is probably the way people were taught when they were young.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/14/17 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: cliffie
I usually loop a steel cable around the upper jaw/snout and hang them head up to skin. Could it be easier if I went head down?
Once saw them skinned by attaching to a steel tube above (head up) and then the skin was pulled off with a boat winch tied to the ground.

I've always done head down. Used a truck winch and that worked pretty well.
Posted By: ifearnodeer

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/15/17 08:26 PM

I too was taught head down
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/15/17 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ifearnodeer
I too was taught head down

Never tried it head up......
Posted By: bass101

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/16/17 11:16 AM

head down
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/16/17 12:01 PM

Went antelope hunting one time with four other guys. One of the guys brought one of those gambrel things that attached to your trailer hitch and had a small winch to lift them up. The lady that owned the ranch watched him do the first one, and gave him a lesson on how to do it with the head up really quickly. I wish I would have watched them closer, as he got to doing it very efficiently and quickly. We shot 17 of them, and he cleaned and skinned the whole bunch.
I have never gotten the hang of doing it that way though.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/16/17 05:24 PM

Kickem in the bush and go to the grocery store.....LOL
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/16/17 10:07 PM

Belly down. Cut down back, get straps, remove hams if not smelly. Buzzards get the rest.
Posted By: Tactical Hog Control - CO

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/18/17 02:29 AM

I prefer head-down as well...on hogs, deer, elk...it's just the way Dad taught me. NEVER touch the meat after you've touched the hair. After skinning, wash up your hands and knives before gutting/cutting up the meat. (On hogs, I prefer nitrile gloves...but I still wash my knives). Be clean and careful... that'll take care of most of that "gamey" taste that folks complain about
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/18/17 06:16 PM

head down. easier to split in half.
Posted By: roughcut

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/20/17 04:32 AM

I always skin head down. Bare handed. No gloves for me. I nearly always take the biggest sow. Seven sows and one young boar on a fast follow up shot. I'm lucky to have running water so they get rinsed before getting iced down.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/20/17 04:44 AM

Just take the back hams and backstrap. Not much skinning needed and no gutting. Shoulders usually torn up. But we kill a lot of them.

Head down if I am skinning myself with knife. Processor the other day was pulling skin off with head up (cut off though) and winch on ceiling. At camp we have done the same using a vehicle to pull off. I don't trust our hanging branch though.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/20/17 04:48 PM

Skin 'em ?????

Used to do that. Started out head up because it's easier to get the guts out that way. Switched to head down when I quit gutting them and just took the legs and back straps. Now I don't skin them at all, but just cut off the leg quarters and back straps on the ground. Then I skin the legs on the truck tailgate. I usually debone the hindquarters at the same time.

I leave the carcass (sans legs) for the varmits. Often I'll cut the belly open to make it easier for the 'clean-up crew'.

Here's an excellent video showing how it's done:
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6708672/Re:_HOW_TO_DRESS_A_HOG_IN_10_M
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/20/17 06:53 PM

Deer, head up take off the legs with loppers and skin the neck. put a golf ball under the skinned neck and wrap a chain around the golf ball. The other end on the chain gets attached to the ball hitch on my truck. Drive away and the deer gets skinned.

Hogs head down because I actually have to skin them.
Posted By: cliffie

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/21/17 06:40 AM

Sirrah- I have done just that with deer It works fine
I just put a big blue tarp under them because once in a while the head pops off and the whole thing drops on the ground.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/22/17 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: cliffie
Sirrah- I have done just that with deer It works fine
I just put a big blue tarp under them because once in a while the head pops off and the whole thing drops on the ground.

I've been lucky so far, the head has stayed intact but I have had the skinned deer swing into the tree when the skin comes off the hind legs and get bark and leaves on the meat. trout
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/22/17 06:32 PM

We gut on the ground, then hang from the back legs skin, take front legs off debone ribcage(straps, tenderloins, flank and ribs) hanging, then cut the hind quarters off of the pelvis at the ball joint and cut the foot off either with a saw or at the joint by the hock (cut tendon with a knife and snap it)
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/22/17 07:07 PM

Gutless method for me is all I ever do now.
Posted By: BQM88

Re: Head up or head down? Best way to skin'm - 12/25/17 04:00 PM

Head down
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum