Texas Hunting Forum

After the kill..then what?

Posted By: Mr. T.

After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 01:35 PM

How do you dispose of the hogs after they have been shot. I'm talking about the ones you are not
planning on eating.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 01:49 PM

I dump the ones I kill in the same spot everytime. I picked the spot two reasons. I can sit on a ridge overlooking the spot to shoot coyotes feeding on the hogs, and it's a long way from my blinds/feeders.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 01:49 PM

I chain them to the tractor and drag them towards the highway. We call it the bone yard. My family doesn't frequent that part of the property. Buzzards clean it up pretty quick. Smells pretty bad locking the gate sometimes though.
Posted By: chrswr

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 02:46 PM

[quote=bigjoe8565]......I can sit on a ridge overlooking the spot to shoot coyotes feeding on the hogs.....[quote]

I like this idea!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 06:01 PM

Different places we do different things. Out west we drag them off to the range area and shoot the coyotes that come to eat them. Others we just drag them off away from the feeders.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 06:32 PM

At my place, we have a designated dump area for carcasses. On the properties I hunt, some require the carcasses to be moved to specific locations and others just have me let them lay. In one case, I text the landowner the location and he uses the tractor to haul them somewhere. On 3 other places, I slice open the carcasses so that they get consumed faster by the buzzards and coyotes.
Posted By: mikei

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 06:42 PM

I'm in Central Texas and those hogs we don't eat are taken to a designated "bone yard." Like others here, we then hunt the bone yard on a regular basis, and score quite regularly on the varmints/vermin and even an occasional feral hog that come in to feast on their dearly departed brethren.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 07:32 PM

place's I have been on, drug off, not much left after couple of days, mostly to buzzards
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/29/17 08:52 PM

Leave them right where they fall unless it is under my feeder.
Posted By: HansETX

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 02:03 AM

Drag them off and the buzzards and coyotes will take care of them in a day or two
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 02:13 AM

Depends upon how full the freezer is at the moment, whether the neighbor wants a shoulder or hindquarter, and how I feel at the moment. banana barf
Posted By: passthru

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 03:34 AM

Kill another one. rifle
Posted By: kmon11

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Kill another one. rifle

up
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 03:21 PM

Either to the bone pile or drag them off away from the feeder. Our rancher doesn't care as long as we don't dump them in his coastal field.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 03:55 PM

Don't shoot what we don't intend to eat or have someone lined up to pick up. I clean them immediately or if trapped they get sold.

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 05:10 PM

Drag them off and split their bellies so they buzzards can eat them with ease.

Re: After the kill..then what? - 11/30/17 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
Don't shoot what we don't intend to eat or have someone lined up to pick up.

You're not a land owner are you?
Posted By: Espy

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 01:21 AM

We have been shooting so many lately we are hauling them to the dead pile at each ranch we hunt.
Posted By: passthru

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Yes but I don't either for the most part. Have let a few lay but for the most part they get cleaned and given to folks who need the meat.

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 05:59 PM

Yes I am. and I trap and I shoot them. If I'm feeling to lazy to clean or handle one I leave it alone and won't kill it. My traps are wired open until I'm ready to work one. I let people come out and hunt hogs or trap hogs out of deer season for free or trade for a little work, but if I find they let them lay, never again. There are plenty of hungry people around who will gladly take a cleaned porker of my hands and they know I will keep the meat as fresh as possible. I won't clean the ones people come out and take unless its decided prior to the hunt or an elder or child in my family takes it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 06:04 PM

b

Yes I am. and I trap and I shoot them. If I'm feeling to lazy to clean or handle one I leave it alone and won't kill it. My traps are wired open until I'm ready to work one. I let people come out and hunt hogs or trap hogs out of deer season for free or trade for a little work, but if I find they let them lay, never again. There are plenty of hungry people around who will gladly take a cleaned porker of my hands and they know I will keep the meat as fresh as possible. I won't clean the ones people come out and take unless its decided prior to the hunt or an elder or child in my family takes it.

You ever caught a mouse in a trap and threw it away? same thing
Posted By: Navasot

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 06:04 PM

I got a bone yard ill take them to.... you should see the size it can get to sometimes eek2

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
b

You ever caught a mouse in a trap and threw it away? same thing

I'm not trying to come across as "better than thou" I just believe "waste not, want not" Mice are cat food or my dog kills and buries them for later, no traps. Oh yeah. and the raccoons go in the freezer until Miss Sadie or Mr Homer come pick them up.

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 07:41 PM

hook_n_line, By no means did I imply any "holier than thou" attitude. I just made an assumption because most land owners don't give a rat's *ss about the hog. Most Texas land owners feel that the only good hog is a dead hog, I certainly feel that way. Unlike yourself, as I can see from your photos, nice work by the way, I only take the back-straps and hams. The rest is for the buzzards. I am an ethical/responsible hunter and will not take deer unless it's a clean kill shot and that is definitely not the only thing that makes a hunter ethical. When it comes to hogs, I try to kill em all and let the buzzards sort them out.

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 07:53 PM

hook_n_line, By no means did I imply any "holier than thou" attitude. I just made an assumption because most land owners don't give a rat's *ss about the hog. Most Texas land owners feel that the only good hog is a dead hog, I certainly feel that way. Unlike yourself, as I can see from your photos, nice work by the way, I only take the back-straps and hams. The rest is for the buzzards. I am an ethical/responsible hunter and will not take deer unless it's a clean kill shot and that is definitely the only thing that makes a hunter ethical. When it comes to hogs, I try to kill em all and let the buzzards sort them out.

It's all good but since they eat my corn I'll collect on the bill.

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 08:09 PM

Yummy, where do you get the extra fat for the sausages, or do you?

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/01/17 08:21 PM

This years pigs didn't require extra fat. I would say they had at least an inch of fat on the hams and up the backstraps. Takes a little longer to scrape off the hide but cheaper than going to the store for it. I included another after shot picture.
Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/07/17 04:19 AM

He may be a landowner but I bet he’s not a farmer or rancher.

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/07/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon
He may be a landowner but I bet he’s not a farmer or rancher.

Could be. Look at the other side of that coin, I'm a landowner but not a farmer/rancher. I still kill every hog I can. My mom doesn't go for her walks anymore because of the uneven ground from rooting, she's afraid to fall. My kids don't utilize the complete property on the dirt bike bike I spend a lot of money on because, "it's too bumpy down there". I get beat up from the bouncing while brush hogging the place. We all have different reasons for killing hogs, or not killing them. 15 years ago I was excited they had come to my place because it gave me another species to hunt. Now, I wish they never came.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/08/17 01:18 PM

Nothin. Kill more. They are the end of deer hunting. They are the plague. Killem all. No mercy. No nothin. Killem now or never hunt anything but a trashy hog.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/08/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
Nothin. Kill more. They are the end of deer hunting. They are the plague. Killem all. No mercy. No nothin. Killem now or never hunt anything but a trashy hog.
Posted By: trigger time

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/13/17 08:25 PM

After having thousands in crops and seed destroyed by them, I drop everyone I can. I don't know a single farmer that wouldn't do the same. I'm all for trying to help those in need and often try to, but I wouldn't let a cockroach crawl around my house either. It gets dead and tossed, I pretty much put pigs in the same class.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/13/17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: After the kill..then what? - 12/14/17 02:54 AM

We have a dedicated bone yard area everyone takes there animals or carcass to. It's away from camp and away from anyone's stands.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum