Texas Hunting Forum

It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson...

Posted By: Pig_Popper

It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/22/17 04:50 AM

I went hunting with DNS in South Oklahoma upper Montague County grin

I don't hunt much in the woods or heavily dense wooded areas, my usual spot is in Stephens County and involves hay fields and box blinds and cut shooting lanes.

Well anyway I grabbed my 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel) AR10 which did wonderfully last weekend on a 155 lb boar and figured we'd give it another whirl.

I spied this pig as we moved about the property, at first glance from the passenger seat of the truck (private property) I had probably the best view and shot opportunity BUT I wanted to be sure I was seeing all there was to see in terms of branches/logs/vines/ etc so I decided to get closer.

This posed a number of challenges and I took forever to get a shot, thankfully DNS is patient and kind - although he like my other hunting Buddy Dennis was chanting SHOOT IT SHOOT IT.

So lesson learned - they call "Brush Guns" just that for a reason, I have a perfectly capable 338 Federal on the bench that perhaps I'll take next time to put more mass downrange and through sticks....

Oh and just in case your curious about bullets versus wood - here are a couple of recent videos of just that, interesting results

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/22/17 05:17 AM

That is pretty amazing. I laugh every time I think about you carrying thst branch back to the truck. Never would I have expected that result from that bullet and branch. In my mind, that piece of wood should have shattered.

That is one lucky hog.
Posted By: mikei

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/22/17 11:59 AM

Pig Popper, I feel your pain. I was able to stop a charging T-post with a well placed .45 Colt shot. DRT!

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/22/17 01:43 PM

I know I have managed to hit a tree or two over the years, but unlike Pig_Popper's situation, the trees were clearly visible, LOL.

At 3:40 in this video, you can see where a shooter's bullet had impacted a steel pipe used as a fence post. The pipe was ambient temperature (much like the limb in Pig_Popper's video) and nearly impossible to see if you weren't looking for it. I bleeped out the response of one of the other hunters who saw the impact. As you can see, the post is glowing hot. The bullet actually penetrated one side of the pipe, making a nice hole that looked like it had been drilled.

Another stopped charging pipe post here (0:49) with the same sort of result, entry, but no exit, nice little hole.

Obstacles are out there and will mess up your shots if you aren't careful, sometimes even rotten old tree limbs.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/22/17 09:58 PM

glad that clears up things
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/22/17 10:18 PM

Don't know who "shooter number four" is in (coyote chases bobcat) but I don't want him shooting at ME...!

Nice shooting.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/23/17 02:07 AM

Your a branch killing machine

It was just that pigs lucky night slinger
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: It was supposed to be a pig hunt, it turned into a science lesson... - 11/23/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Don't know who "shooter number four" is in (coyote chases bobcat) but I don't want him shooting at ME...!

I'm kinda thinking the same thing!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum