Texas Hunting Forum

Best.40 rd for charging hogs

Posted By: mow

Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 09:29 AM

I don't reload..what's a decent mfg.load in .40 caliber when I'm bow hunting in case I shoot a hog with bow..generally speaking without all the tech stuff.I assume heavy,hollow point?? Have never shot a hog with a bow..I always drop them with one shot from my .7 mm or ar10..
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 01:02 PM

Corbon 140gr DPX if you’re limited to the .40
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 02:08 PM

The one that hits him. grin
Posted By: HansETX

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
The one that hits him. grin

Hahaha!! Yeah I agree with that..
Posted By: JCB

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 07:45 PM

Gold Dot, HST, and PDX1 have all done well for me finishing off pigs. For penetration the PDX1 seems to be the best. By far the prettiest expansion you will see comes from the HST though.

I did shoot a Boar from 40+ yards away with a Gold Dot and got a clean pass through. That was a actual kill and not just finishing something I had already started. That shot was from a 357 Sig though.

If you are really being charged your best bet is just to hit them with what ever you got though. I don't care if its a rock, just hit him with something!
Posted By: mikei

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 08:01 PM

I use Gold Dots in all my reloads and all the calibers that I take with me for finishing shots and for self defense. They've never failed to perform as a finisher, and thankfully, I've never had to use them in self defense. I've done a lot of work measuring penetration and expansion, using both wet newspaper and plastic juice jugs, and the only bullet that out performs the Gold Dot is the Remington Golden Saber. I have a tough time getting Golden Sabers for reloading, so I've settled on the GD's.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 11:12 PM

Buffalo Bore 180+p
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/18/17 11:18 PM

FMJ straight through the dome

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/19/17 09:17 AM

buffalo ammo

i think im going with these.....ballistics look good for what im looking for..penentration through bone,etc..i figure a maximum range,so i ahould be good of 10-15 feet..this is strictly for hogs,tough skin,bone animals..during gun season i will be shooting my ar 10 and using side arm just as a backup
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/19/17 12:53 PM

I would lean towards a 200 grain XTP, if I had to choose. With the 200 grain, you can slow the velocity down a little, get some expansion with really good penetration. If not a 200 XTP, a 180 FMJ would be next.

Any of the +P ammo, you are taking a risk on that ammo being to hot to properly function in your pistol. Many factory pistols will not cycle or feed the +P ammo correctly. I have tested hot pistol ammo, and it causes all kinds of problems in factory pistols without the upgrading the weight of the springs.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/19/17 01:34 PM

Probably a better question is whether you can quickly access your pistol while carrying all of your bow hunting gear ...

While it happens very rarely, if you watch the videos of guys getting charged, the amount of time between "oh, I'm getting charged" and the arrival of fast moving swine is a pretty short interval. It's also worth noting that 9 times out of 10, a "charge" is merely a scared pig running to a spot where you happen to be. Of course, time number ten things get pretty interesting.

This video, posted by another member here, is probably the only one that I've ever seen when there was a significant gap between the moment of realization and the moment of truth. Even here, look how touch and go it was:

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/19/17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Probably a better question is whether you can quickly access your pistol while carrying all of your bow hunting gear ...

While it happens very rarely, if you watch the videos of guys getting charged, the amount of time between "oh, I'm getting charged" and the arrival of fast moving swine is a pretty short interval. It's also worth noting that 9 times out of 10, a "charge" is merely a scared pig running to a spot where you happen to be. Of course, time number ten things get pretty interesting.

This video, posted by another member here, is probably the only one that I've ever seen when there was a significant gap between the moment of realization and the moment of truth. Even here, look how touch and go it was:

cool video,thanks
Posted By: Jon B

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/20/17 02:50 AM

I have had good luck changing their bad attitude with Federal Hydra-Shocks. I have shot a few that were angry because I didn't shoot em good enough the first time.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 10/20/17 05:56 PM

The key is can you shoot accurately on a charging boar. I've been charged twice by wounded pigs and both times it took brain shots to stop them. Because they were wounded I was able to avoid their initial charge and put multiple rounds on target. In both cases the hogs sucked up multiple rounds of 9mm and 45 Federal HST ammo. Now the rounds slowed them down, but they weren't done until I put rounds into their head. I have no doubt the pigs would have died without the head shots, but the point here is stopping a hog immediately. I argue accuracy is the most important followed by quality, speed, mass and type of bullet.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 11/09/17 03:46 AM

Get the looong .40...a 10mm ! cheers
Posted By: Beckett

Re: Best.40 rd for charging hogs - 11/09/17 04:38 AM

Buffalo Bore; its what bear hunters shoot themselves with if a Grizzly gets a hold of em. Seriously though, I've tried to finish a few pigs with Hydra Shocks and it didn't do much good. Buffalo Bore or FMJ would get better penetration.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum