Texas Hunting Forum

Popped this one down south of Ozona.

Posted By: JTPinTX

Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 08:00 PM

Was out calling fox/coyote and had this fella jump up out of a pond in front of us. Bailed out of the truck with the 243/6.5 Photon and went to work on him at about 40 yards. Crossing L to R I put one in his right shoulder, he reversed back to the left going away and I put a second round into his left flank ranging forward. That one put him on the ground pretty hard. Things were pretty exciting for a few seconds.

IMG_3374 by [/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XPx8DX]
FullSizeR by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/][/url], on Flickr
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 08:36 PM

Big old boar! Nice!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Big old boar! Nice!

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 09:24 PM

That night shot isn't a very good picture, but it was the actual rifle I shot it with. We got a lot better picture the next morning when we went to go drag it off, but I was carrying my daytime rifle then.

FullSizeR by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/][/url], on Flickr
Posted By: Bacon8tor

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 09:40 PM

Good sized boar. Did you take a tape measure to him?

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 09:40 PM

Nice cutters

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:14 PM

I didn't measure him, I'm not sure what measurements to take on a pig. If it would have required a girth measurement there wasn't really any way to do that except measure sternum to spine and double it. We didn't have anything we could lift him with to get a tape around him.

Tell me the right way, so I know for future reference.

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:17 PM

I would have liked to take the skull, or at least chopped the front of the lower jaw out and got the cutters, but just wasn't prepared for that either. Usually have some limb loppers or hatchet in the tool boxes, but didn't this time.

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
I would have liked to take the skull, or at least chopped the front of the lower jaw out and got the cutters, but just wasn't prepared for that either. Usually have some limb loppers or hatchet in the tool boxes, but didn't this time.
it's simple with a knife. Cut all the way around the neck all the way down to the vertebrae then twist the head till it snaps takes about 3 minutes.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:22 PM

clap

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
I didn't measure him, I'm not sure what measurements to take on a pig. If it would have required a girth measurement there wasn't really any way to do that except measure sternum to spine and double it. We didn't have anything we could lift him with to get a tape around him.

Tell me the right way, so I know for future reference.
I use one of those fabric measuring tapes they are like 5 ft long non stretch. Just roll him onto his back put the tape under him then rollback onto his side and pull the tape through and measure the girth right behind the shoulders.

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:33 PM

I know they have charts for deer where you can estimate a weight by girth measurements. I didn't know if they had the same for hogs or not. Seems like hogs have lots more variation in body length than deer do. We have raised quite a few show pigs, I have put a bunch of them on scales. But they are built different than a wild hog, the back end is skinnier on a wild one. To me a wild hog has to be bigger framed than a show pig to weigh the same.

I imagine that skull is going to end up on the ranch owners fence anyways after the buzzards clean it up, and I am good with that.

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:36 PM

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/25/17 10:39 PM

Perfect. Thanks!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/26/17 01:28 AM

Nice pig.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Popped this one down south of Ozona. - 09/26/17 12:18 PM

Well done!
Posted By: HansETX