Texas Hunting Forum

What would it take?

Posted By: General Guts

What would it take? - 09/12/17 01:57 AM

What would it take to eradicate all the unwanted wild hogs in Texas ? ... confused2
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 02:01 AM

I'd say a nuclear bomb with ground zero somewhere around Brownwood, but I don't think even that would work. They'd be back in a couple months.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 02:04 AM

Some type of virus....a really bad one
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 02:11 AM

Pig flu?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 02:24 AM

Make suppressors over the counter transactions and we may be on to something popcorn
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 02:26 AM

Nothing will eradicate them. That said, I'm not certain everyone wants them eradicated. There is a whole industry and economic benefit built on hog hunting.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 02:29 AM

If a SHTF moment were to happen think of all the food running loose out there.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 09:11 AM

It would be about impossible to eliminate hogs in our state, as some want them for food/hunting. Problems for some but fun for others. I have a ball hunting them.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 11:27 AM

Scimetrics EPA approved warfarin based product KAPUT ....

bolt
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What would it take? - 09/12/17 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Scimetrics EPA approved warfarin based product KAPUT ....

bolt
yep
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 07:25 AM

Plenty don't got to feeders as well so doubt poison would even do it. You would have to bait the whole state acre by acre with huge traps. Then in 6 months you will have to start over again. We are at over 20 for the year from just shooting at 2 feeders and still get them coming in and large groups of 40+ running around we never see on cam or feeders.

To understand their damage, we left a feed pen open last year and they rooted up half of it. That half is just broomweed while the other half is all blue stem. Luckily they don't root up much but for a year, they destoy native grass until it comes back. Our cows do more damage to the land but they are never rotated and we have a bunch.

Getting rid of the stupid supressor restrictions would help.
Posted By: cmc

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 01:38 PM

They are becoming a bigger and bigger business every year so I doubt eradication would win in a vote.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 01:59 PM

Put a decent 'bounty' on them and folks will put a good dent in them.

Eradication and Hogs should never be used in the same sentence, it just isn't going to happen at this point. But 'reducing' their numbers is possible.

I wouldn't look to the 'State' for any help though (aside from a few seminars and information).

Since Feral Hogs have been reclassified as 'Exotic Livestock'...they belong to the landowner on whose property they reside. This pretty much absolves the State of any responsibility. And maybe that is as it should be...I don't know.

Just wish I didn't have them.
Posted By: kphilli66

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 03:00 PM

This question has probably been asked many times, but here goes, is there a market for them other than hunting, can they be taken to a slaughter house live, and sold to them?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Put a decent 'bounty' on them and folks will put a good dent in them.

Eradication and Hogs should never be used in the same sentence, it just isn't going to happen at this point. But 'reducing' their numbers is possible.

I wouldn't look to the 'State' for any help though (aside from a few seminars and information).

Since Feral Hogs have been reclassified as 'Exotic Livestock'...they belong to the landowner on whose property they reside. This pretty much absolves the State of any responsibility. And maybe that is as it should be...I don't know.

Just wish I didn't have them.

Eradication of wild hogs is impossible. Never say Never. up We didn't have hogs on our place in OK for about 25 years. Suddenly they appreared, and trust me. We have tried diligently to eradicate them. Eventually, the ones that survive get the message and move on...for a short time. They come back within a month or two.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: kphilli66
This question has probably been asked many times, but here goes, is there a market for them other than hunting, can they be taken to a slaughter house live, and sold to them?

I haven't done it, but believe there are a few folks who will take trapped hogs for slaughter. I've seen an ad somewhere, or maybe a website, but can't remember. I have no experience, but would think this would be a challenging way to run a business, because there is no control of inventory for planning, budgeting, etc. I also remember somewhere that one of these business was kind of hit or miss - sometimes they would accept hogs, and sometimes not based on time/space.

Like others have said, I don't ever see a way to eradicate, but do think some control could be found if there was a concentrated effort by the state, landowners, and hunters. Maybe a subsidized trapping program for landowners, and a controlled hub and spoke system for slaughter - drop off regionally and then they go to a central location for processing. With the amount of damage they can do, it would seem to me that a program of this kind could be made cost-effective.

The way things are now, it is not viable that enough hogs can be hunted or trapped to make any real impact in the populations.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 04:42 PM

it takes money

if someone were to offer $500 / wild hog, there will be no more hogs left in Texas
Posted By: HansETX

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 05:02 PM

A while back Van Zandt county was offering $10 for each pair of hog ears that were brought in...
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 05:50 PM

Our local alligator farm was paying 10 cents a pound at one time for them....but they had to be alive.Don't know if this is still the case there.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
it takes money

if someone were to offer $500 / wild hog, there will be no more hogs left in Texas

We aren't willing to pay our police, fire, and education folks more money, so I doubt we are willing to pay any sort of meaningful amounts for hog removal.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
it takes money

We aren't willing to pay our police, fire, and education folks more money, so I doubt we are willing to pay any sort of meaningful amounts for hog removal.

Agree and we better not subsidize hog removal. If a LO has such a problem with them, buy your own trap or hire someone and kill them yourself.
Posted By: gwl2

Re: What would it take? - 09/13/17 07:58 PM

There like fire ants. Might as well get used to them.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: What would it take? - 09/14/17 07:22 PM

If you took all the hunters in Texas and lined them up 5 feet apart and started at one side of the state and walked to the other, killing every pig in sight, they would be backfilled right behind you by the time you made it across.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: What would it take? - 09/14/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: kphilli66

TPWD has a list hog buyers listed by county. The one near me will take any hog over 40lbs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum