Texas Hunting Forum

Pants....

Posted By: JCCinOhio

Pants.... - 07/28/17 08:07 PM

Just saw some 'when hogs attack' video on facebook... so was thinking I should have a better pair of pants just in case.. What do you all use?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Pants.... - 07/28/17 08:43 PM

It's not the hogs. It's the chiggers and poison ivy. And the mosquitoes.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Pants.... - 07/28/17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
It's not the hogs. It's the chiggers and poison ivy. And the mosquitoes.

Yep ,,, least you can shooot at a hog coming at ya

Duluth trading has a pant that is tough, light and is not to hot
Is not the fire hose style is the nylon blend ones
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Pants.... - 07/28/17 08:53 PM

Yes, the chiggers have been insane this year.

As for pants I normally wear jeans or tactical pants neither of which will stop a charging hog, that is what the 45 on my hip is for up

Re: Pants.... - 07/28/17 09:50 PM

I'll he down there in Nov & Jan, so heavy/warm is ok...
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Pants.... - 07/28/17 10:29 PM

It's much nicer that time of year. The chiggers will be gone as should be most of the mosquitos. In all honesty, the hogs aren't very fashion forward so any pants that are comfortable will be fine, assuming you don't mind getting mud and hog's blood on them.

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 01:46 AM

Not so worried about their blood as mine.. wondering what the best pants are to keep my legs from getting sliced up if I piss one off..
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhio
Not so worried about their blood as mine.. wondering what the best pants are to keep my legs from getting sliced up if I piss one off..

A good pistol or the rifle you are carrying will take care of that ,it would a rare occurrence to be charged or attacked , the times that it could occur would be,approaching a wounded pig or shooting a sounder and one runs past you happens went shooting suppressors
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 02:10 AM

Unless you are wearing Kevlar pants I don't think you can keep a hog from slicing through them but then again I've never seen anyone get sliced up by a hog period.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 11:50 AM

Carry a BIG Bowie blade, jump on their back as they run by and stick'em. Not really. Just make sure DRT before getting to close to them.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 12:54 PM

Just don't be stingy with the lead. If they're squealing or moving shoot them until they're not.

This is where AR type rifles come in handy and add more fun to the hunt. 6.8 is a nice caliber for hogs. up

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 01:14 PM

Well I kinda had a close call a few years back. I pretty much have to hunt from the ground as the stands have seen better days and I don't get enough time there to put up new ones. One night in the dark two came out.. blasted one with 12ga buckshot from ~20yds, gun jammed. The second one came right at me. Not sure if it got confused or what, but missed me by about 8 feet and ran right into a 8" fence post. Sat there stunned for a few seconds, like me, and then ran off before I could fix the jam. I have better equipment now.. but still.. Maybe just wear chainsaw chaps.. I'm in the middle of nowhere, so it would be ugly if something happened.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 02:54 PM

They will come at you. Whether intentional or not it will either be a fight or flight. I got caught without enough ammo one time and was scrambling a barbed wire fence in the dark. The kevlar would've been nice. It can still get hot in November bring stay-dri type over cottons. The rain can get heavy.

Edit to say that snake chaps might help if you were to be cut by a runby.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 04:25 PM

The least of my worries would be getting attacked by a hog. Ticks, chiggers, snakes, and all the pokey things are way more likely to cause trouble. I rarely ever hunt in pants when it's hot. I wear lose shorts and Crocs and get less chiggers. Use a thermocell when sitting and watch where you walk you'll be fine.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 05:36 PM

If a hog attacks I'm not sure what type of pants you're wearing will make a difference.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Pants.... - 07/29/17 05:47 PM

Well I kinda had a close call a few years back. I pretty much have to hunt from the ground as the stands have seen better days and I don't get enough time there to put up new ones. One night in the dark two came out.. blasted one with 12ga buckshot from ~20yds, gun jammed. The second one came right at me. Not sure if it got confused or what, but missed me by about 8 feet and ran right into a 8" fence post. Sat there stunned for a few seconds, like me, and then ran off before I could fix the jam. I have better equipment now.. but still.. Maybe just wear chainsaw chaps.. I'm in the middle of nowhere, so it would be ugly if something happened.
no pants are going to stop a charging hog. I shot a big sow one night while sitting on the ground and the whole sounder of about 30 hogs turned and ran straight at me. I just stood up and dumped my whole magazine at them. I could even see them but I could hear them busting through the cedars on both sides of me. It was one of the funniest moments of hunting I've ever had.
Posted By: Freeman

Re: Pants.... - 07/31/17 01:38 PM

Maybe a fresh pair of Depends would be appropriate--that way your torn pants won't be soiled too.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Pants.... - 07/31/17 04:11 PM

If you're worried about a blood thirsty pig chasing you down, maybe pig hunting isn't for you.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Pants.... - 07/31/17 08:40 PM

I wear parachute pants in case I want to bust out an epic backspin during the slow times
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Pants.... - 07/31/17 10:06 PM

If you are rifle hunting, the chances of being "attacked" successfully are pretty much nil. If you are hog-dogging or such where you have to go hands-on with a live hog, then you might consider some good chaps.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Pants.... - 07/31/17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
If a hog attacks I'm not sure what type of pants you're wearing will make a difference.

Correct - you'll be wearing the best pants in the ER room but on the bright side the tougher pants will probably contain your mangeled body parts better.

Question for the original poster- have you ever been tackled by a charging linebacker?

In American football I don't recall the pants ever saving a QB or RB legs from breaking , ask Joe Theisman
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Pants.... - 07/31/17 11:10 PM

I don't think I would worry about buying special pants to hunt hogs. clap

Re: Pants.... - 08/01/17 10:35 AM

Allright.. geez! hammer

Guess I'll go with the parachute pants suggestion....
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Pants.... - 08/01/17 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Unless you are wearing Kevlar pants I don't think you can keep a hog from slicing through them but then again I've never seen anyone get sliced up by a hog period.

up
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Pants.... - 08/06/17 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
The least of my worries would be getting attacked by a hog. Ticks, chiggers, snakes, and all the pokey things are way more likely to cause trouble. I rarely ever hunt in pants when it's hot. I wear lose shorts and Crocs and get less chiggers. Use a thermocell when sitting and watch where you walk you'll be fine.

I was sitting in my pop up two nights ago waiting for hogs. The damn buzzing by my ears from mosquitoes really made me question my sanity. I need to invest in thermocell.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum