Texas Hunting Forum

Camo Is Highly Overrated

Posted By: Cooga Bear

Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 03:44 PM

So I had just gotten home from running Saturday when my phone goes off with pics of pigs all around the feeder. I had nothing else going on so I ran in the house and grabbed my AR and took off. I didn't feel like changing clothes nor did I think I had to time to do it anyway. As I'm about 5 mins away from the lease I stop getting texts. Naturally I get there and they're gone. I sit in the stand where they were for about 10 mins then head to my stand since their daily cycle is to hit that one first then mine. It takes 40-45 mins for them to get there. So I walk to my stand. I'm in there for about 15 mins when I hear them. It's the same pack from earlier. Instead of walking in front of my they stay in the slough behind me which is hard to see. Well, the one pig that we have seen laying down all the time just happened to "nap" in my line of sight. I hit record on the DVR and bust her. She doesn't move. I scan trying to get another shot and can't then go back to her and she's barely moving so I go ahead and shoot again. I hit stop on the DVR and notice the "Lock" button is on. I say a few choice words and move on. As I'm walking back to my truck I get back to the first stand and there they are again. I try to get a shot off, but couldn't. At that point I'm wishing I had my red dot on instead of my Photon XT. Anyway, I send a pic to my buddies and they laugh since I'm out there in shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes. Here's some pics minus some neat video that I didn't get!

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 04:09 PM

Nice pig

I'd say 10 time out of 10 times camo isn't necessary when in a blind. Bow hunting from a tree or tripod different story. I think most hunters wear camo bc it's comfortable and they don't care if it gets dirty.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 04:31 PM

Camo is overrated, but that does not mean it isn't beneficial. That goes for a lot of what we do. It is about percentages, not absolutes.

Now the LOCK button on the DVR is an absolute. I use a drop of super glue to keep mine unlocked. I have had the same problem you had.

Good deal on the hog. Nice shot!
Posted By: Cooga Bear

Re: Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 05:16 PM

That's a great idea on the super glue. It was funny because we've got a ton of pictures of a pig just laying down while all the others are eating. One time it was literally on top of the corn pile acting like it was all hers! Kind of comical at times. I wanted the video of it BAD! Oh well, at least I got some pics!

The whole thing with camo was kind of a joke seeing as how I just ran out there the way I was and the last 3 times I went I got nothing. Yes, it's absolutely necessary in most situations. I guess the humor got lost in typing!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 06:13 PM

Nice Hog.

I usually wear camo just because I typically buy it cheap at the 2nd hand store,and if I get blood stains on it I don't really care.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 08:40 PM

der Teufel is right, who cares if it is dirty or has blood stains!
Posted By: mikei

Re: Camo Is Highly Overrated - 11/14/16 08:51 PM

The first hundred years or so of my hunting career I wore jeans and a red & black plaid shirt. When I hunted Colorado, Utah and New Mexico, where they had regulations that specified a certain number of square inches of International Orange material had to be worn, that's what I wore. Always got my deer, even without camo. Now, hunting coyotes, bobcats and foxes, particularly when you're setting up and calling at ground level, breaking up your silhouette is more important. I've also found that camo is a good choice when going after pronghorns; the dudes have some fabulous eyesight, and the wide-open country they inhabit don't offer a whole lot of places for the hunter to hide out. Blending into the background when turkey hunting also improves your chances, since they have some pretty sharp eyesight.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum