Texas Hunting Forum

First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead.

Posted By: thecytochromec

First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 09:16 PM

This year is the first time my family and I got on a lease. I'm sure you all know it's not from a lack of trying. I was fearful that I'd never get the opportunity to hunt with my great Uncle, someone whom I relate and highly admire, because he's 71. Well, I've been learning how to hunt from my great uncle, former head of TX P&WLS - Game Control, now that we've got a place and it's already been worth all the money and effort.

We went out Saturday morning and evening, we saw a spike and a non-legal buck. I was excited to see the deer moving so I was optimistic, vivacious and ready to go dark and early Sunday morning. So we're there, waiting around in the same spot near a water tank, when I catch this guy coming through his little trail. He wallows for a second and decides he's going in for a nibble at the feeder. I get the nod of approval from my great uncle. Here's the part most people omit - I had left my scope on 9X and the shot was 75 yards away. I couldn't find him in my sight picture him to save my life. I adjusted the magnification and got set up to shoot again when he tells me a small branch from the coverage we set up was going to interfere with my shot. I'm sitting in a camping chair holding my rifle al natural, so I prop up my foot to elevate my shooting platform and got the clearance I needed to make the shot. 55 grains of 7827, 117 grain sierra bullet and a large rifle magnum primer later that hog was down. The 25-06 is just oh so good... when you're behind it. The bullet entered just behind his shoulder, which is dislocated, and make a nice cavity right around the edge of his heart and lungs. I don't think pictures really do the size of it justice.

I included a picture of my great uncle, they don't make 'em like that anymore. He's an encyclopedia of wildlife and reloading knowledge. He was a heck of tenor sax player and he's one of my favorite people on planet earth. Don't let his demeanor fool you, he's a kind... to me at least. Just before I clicked the picture I told him, "Smile!"
Posted By: red bluff

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 09:24 PM

congrats on the hog, now go kill some more.. I have shared a firing line with your Uncle a couple of times. I bet there is at least one big bore sixshooter close by.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 09:28 PM

up
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 09:32 PM

great times create great memories, congats
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TooLow
up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 11:00 PM

cheers
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 11:08 PM

Awesome story
Congrats on the trophy boar
rifle taz
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/07/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: texashunter900
great times create great memories, congats
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/08/16 01:02 AM

Next time tell him to say cheese, might get that smile. Nice going, great to have family.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/08/16 03:25 AM

Nice Going. Keep after 'em!
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/08/16 04:19 PM

I really enjoyed reading the story and coolpics thanks for posting rock_on
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/08/16 04:39 PM

Nice pig!
The old man looks like he's tired of watching you play with that phone.
Posted By: thecytochromec

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/09/16 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: red bluff
I have shared a firing line with your Uncle a couple of times. I bet there is at least one big bore sixshooter close by.

You're absolutely right. I'm quite certain that's where I get my affinity for the .44 Magnum. I'm sure you've seen him shooting them one handed 50 yards and beyond. He makes it look so easy.

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
The old man looks like he's tired of watching you play with that phone.

You think? I'd text him and ask but he doesn't do the whole texting thing. grin
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/09/16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: thecytochromec
I had left my scope on 9X and the shot was 75 yards away. I couldn't find him in my sight picture him to save my life.

Learn to acquire the target initially with both eyes open. Makes mistakes like that easier to handle. wink

AWESOME that you are spending time with your elders. They always have a lot to offer ...... up
Posted By: A-Bolt71

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/16/16 09:07 PM

Good times.
cheers
Posted By: Vern1

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/19/16 05:46 PM

Awesome!
You have some great family memories.
Your uncle just looks serious and you are lucky to have someone like him around.
Posted By: Erny

Re: First Blood - Hoping for a Buck; Took This Guy Instead. - 11/21/16 02:03 AM

That's a good looking pig.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum