Texas Hunting Forum

Fall Food Plot Advice

Posted By: Land_Man

Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/08/16 03:40 AM

Thinking about bringing my walk behind tiller and making a small food plot at our place. Prob about an acre or so. What would be a good crop to grow that requires very little maintenance and that would take off pretty quick? I've never tried this so talk to me like I don't know what I'm doing hahaha
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/08/16 03:25 PM

I've seen folks make a wooden frame and drive large nails through it, then weight it down and drag it behind their truck to rough up the ground. They scatter seeds by hand and hope for rain. It usually works to some degree. A tiller would be more effective, I think, but anything is probably better than nothing.
Posted By: mley1

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/08/16 04:00 PM

I've killed a lot of hogs off of winter oat fields in the panhandle. The hogs seemed to enjoy feeding there, until I came along. lol
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/10/16 02:53 PM

I just planted oats in mine with some turnips and a little fall mix. It was planted about a month ago and already about 4-6" tall. If you're gonna plant you better do it immediately.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/10/16 03:40 PM

So far I've planted several plots scattered around property in Nora Oats for fall and winter forage. Planted the first couple of fields a bit early, and took a bit of time to establish, but now all that I've planted are coming in nice and about 4" tall. With the rain from last weekend, and now some mild sunny days, things should be good. I still have a hundred pounds of seed that I will plant as soon as ground dries a bit more. Nora and Bob oats are fairly cheap, and if broadcasting, maybe 150 pounds an acre - so you would be in the neighborhood of $40 in seed for your needs - cheap enough to test.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/10/16 04:03 PM

Wheat, oats, and winter ryegrass. Just scratch the ground, broadcast, then drag. Pray for rain. With the good LORD willing you'll have a food plot. It didn't seem to matter if I tilled the ground or chisseled it, it still came up if it rained. Good Luck!

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/18/16 09:41 PM

Update - So far, so good. As said in earlier post, I picked Nora Oats and got in with a few small plots early and then rain kept me from finishing. Did not spray or fertilize, just shredded, disced with several passes, broadcast at 150# per acre, covered, and prayed for rain - which worked, but now need more rain.

Started to sprout well after a week, and several inches tall after two, so this past week I spread the remaining seed giving me about 3 acres of oats total. We'll see how the deer hit it.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/18/16 09:54 PM

Come back with some good rye grass in December I do it with oat plots every year to keep some tender grass out
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/18/16 09:54 PM

that's if the weather is right to do so.. rye is easy and hardy though

Re: Fall Food Plot Advice - 10/18/16 11:51 PM

Good advice - will give it a shot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum