Texas Hunting Forum

If one down, will they come back the same night?

Posted By: Reds015

If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/13/16 10:40 PM

Say I setup for an overnighter and I get lucky enough to down one early out of the sounder that just walked up to the feeder. What are the chances they come back to the same feeder that night? Should I just call it a night, recover, harvest and put on ice? Or move to another spot knowing they are in the area?

I'll be on a property that has a couple different feeders.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/13/16 10:57 PM

Hard to say, have had them come back sniff the dead one and go back to eating corn. Other times never see again for several nights after shooting at them.
It's hunting. elmer
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/13/16 11:02 PM

They're so unpredictable that you just never know. I've seen them run off and then come right back minutes later. Other times the bunch you shoot at won't come back but another group will come along. If I wanted the meat then I would get it on ice ASAP this time of year.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/13/16 11:03 PM

Hard to say. I've had hunts where I've shot 2,3,4 maybe even 5 at my feeder in one sitting. Heck I've killed a pig and the others don't even run away. Then I've had times where you shoot one and they're gone for the remainder of the night.

If they run off give them an hour and then go check he other feeders.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/13/16 11:39 PM

As noted, there is no way to know for sure. However, the more you shoot the first time around, the less likely the sounder will be to return later that night.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/14/16 01:22 AM

Yep. As long as you're not throwing scent around.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/14/16 02:19 AM

Depends on how much pressure really. I've sat in the blind with my dad and both shot one each. Within minutes had them back and put a couple more down. Repeat 2 more times. I fired 7 shots and he shot 6 times within probably 30-40 minutes.
Posted By: Reds015

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/14/16 02:39 PM

Thnaks for the info guys, I'll be taking that all into consideration
Posted By: TXGH

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/14/16 05:42 PM

Usually that group will not come back that night, however a different group has no clue what happened and odds are if you have more than one groups coming to the feeder. the second group will still show up.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/15/16 03:13 PM

I'd sit for about another hour and if nothing since you said property has other feeders I would make a move. I don't keep the meat this time of year so I'd drag off to the bone yard before moving to second location. pigs are nuisance and destructive to our property so kill em all (which is impossible)
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/15/16 10:45 PM

I shot a Boar about 9 p.m. a couple of nights ago. The 'group' I was originally waiting on showed up 3 hrs. later (according to my game-cams today). They fed just like normal.

Had they come while the carcass was still laying there, I can't say for certain the reaction, but I've had them pay no attention sometimes and other times spook from it.

Just depends on circumstances (hunting pressure, the group, etc).
Posted By: ktk120

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/19/16 01:08 AM

A very big boar I Killed a few weeks ago was banging his head on the feeder legs knocking corn out and I dirt napped him and another group of 7 came in after and ate the corn he knocked out with him dead on the ground. THey were a bit spooky tho and did not hang around long
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/19/16 03:44 AM

Stay in the blind
Posted By: 4dog

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/21/16 11:06 PM

Ive had them come in an hour apart with carcass still on the ground..you just never know.
Posted By: fracdaddy

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/27/16 06:59 PM

goldfish memory
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: If one down, will they come back the same night? - 09/28/16 02:27 AM

I'm usually just happy to get one down!

Of course, I'm seldom hunting over a feeder so one is usually all I expect to get.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum