Texas Hunting Forum

Thermal Hog Sniping

Posted By: specialed309

Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 02:56 AM

It has taken me about a month to come up with a system (though I am not fully satisfied yet) on recording via thermal. I have four previous hunts that are missing audio or video or some other glitch. Will edit those and get them uploaded. This is the first publisher worthy video. Enjoy. It's good to be back in Texas and pulling the trigger on some hogs and coyotes.

rifle Click here to watch hunt
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 07:17 AM

Great job! Now go get a weed eater and clean that place up.
Posted By: Dalep

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 12:00 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 12:58 PM

Congrats, what thermal you using?
Need to cut the weeds down.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 03:39 PM

Excellent work, Ed!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 06:02 PM

Slicin' and dicin' with the Wolverine. You mentioned recording issues...which recorder are you using and what are you not satisfied with?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 07:11 PM

Good going! I agree a little time with a weed whacker would be productive, but you did well.

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565

No way man. Not my place. Hahahaha. Plus I think the critters find comfort in all the coverage. If anything. Gotta learn to overcome obstacles (including weeds).

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Congrats, what thermal you using?
Need to cut the weeds down.

Pulsar Apex 50a
Third Coast Thermal will do you right!

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Slicin' and dicin' with the Wolverine. You mentioned recording issues...which recorder are you using and what are you not satisfied with?

Sightmark CRV. It does not record audio. Also I've learned some SD cards will jump/skip/pause during recording because of the recoil. The .277 has almost no recoil. While other cards work just fine. Had to come up with an alternative audio recorder. I am simply using my old iPhone 4S. Making sure you have everything on takes patience. One of my thermal buddies Brian sent me a link to his recorder that does all the above. I may simply break down and buy that unit.

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 10:16 PM

UNV sells their MDVR, which is what many of us use. The perfect product hasn't been found, but the MDVR seems to be the best at this time. It has audio and video along with a remote switch. Otherwise, you're an old pro and know all the hazards we experience recording. UNV also sells a pouch that works great with the MDVR.

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 10:18 PM

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/10/16 10:25 PM

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/11/16 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: specialed309
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

Sightmark CRV. It does not record audio. Also I've learned some SD cards will jump/skip/pause during recording because of the recoil. The .277 has almost no recoil. While other cards work just fine. Had to come up with an alternative audio recorder. I am simply using my old iPhone 4S. Making sure you have everything on takes patience. One of my thermal buddies Brian sent me a link to his recorder that does all the above. I may simply break down and buy that unit.

The Sightmark CVR is the absolute least reliable DVR on the market.

There just simply is no way to make it work right.

Find a new unit ASAP

Good vids BTW
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Thermal Hog Sniping - 09/11/16 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: specialed309
Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565

No way man. Not my place. Hahahaha. Plus I think the critters find comfort in all the coverage. If anything. Gotta learn to overcome obstacles (including weeds).

I hunt on a friend's property. We've known each other for over 30 years, worked together, shared an office at one time, we trust each other. When he bought his property he moved and old house onto it, and I helped him with some early plumbing to make it inhabitable. I fire up his tractor and mow along the fence lines and some of the paths that pass for roadways in places. I always defer to his judgement on things relating to his property, of course, but one thing he told me early on was that I should "Treat the place as if I owned it!" Then he explained that he wanted me to deal with neighbors as if they were my neighbors, accost trespassers, and generally make decisions as I saw fit when he wasn't around. Basically I operate as his agent regarding the land.

Obviously everyone and place is different, but I don't hesitate to make what I consider to be improvements. I doubt that the landowner would complain if you cleared the weeds from around his feeder. If he did, just apologize and say you now have a better understanding of what he wants. This assumes that you'll have the opportunity to return and hunt again some time in the relatively near future. You'll probably make life easier for both of you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum