Texas Hunting Forum

Ear Tagged Hogs?

Posted By: westexhunter

Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 03:12 AM

In the last 2 months i have had 5-6 different ear tagged hogs on 3 different feeders, not all in the same group of pigs, some have white tags that are numbered some are black with no numbers, Motley County, anyone know if this is some study of some sort?? these are feral hogs no place anywhere close to the ranch where they could've escaped. these are feral. Maybe some type of trapped and tagged biologist survey perhaps, going to try and pluck a few when i get time, maybe there is a Phone Number with tag. Just thought someone here might know.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 10:57 AM

If you don't find any information on the tags, I would bet they are bar hogs.
Posted By: Dalep

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 01:00 PM

whats a bar hog?
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalep
whats a bar hog?

A bar hog is a hog someone had cut the testicles out

They get fatter taste better
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 01:50 PM

If they're barrows they will be good eating. No idea why they would have ear tags.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 02:53 PM

Some trappers and hog doggers will castrate boars and let them go. They will sometimes notch or tag ears to identify the ones that they have done.

These may also be hogs captured in one place and then released on to a hunting preserve and then escaped. These hogs should have numbered tags that can be used to determine the ranch where released. If you shoot a hog with a numbered tag, ideally you can contact TPWD department with the information.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 02:56 PM

Here the catch them with dogs or in traps and cut the tails off them. Some of they cut and then release them. I think they are turning in the tails for the county bounty money on them at times. Catch and release hunting.

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 07:16 PM

Few pics,

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 07:57 PM

Bar Hogs that have been tagged.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/07/16 09:10 PM

Got out from somewhere, shoot'em!

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/08/16 01:34 AM

We are gonna get a closer look pretty soon ill keep post updated
Posted By: mikei

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/08/16 02:10 AM

Kill 'em, ear tags and all. But get them out of the breeding cycle!
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/08/16 02:14 AM

I have one on my camera as well. First one I've seen.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/08/16 02:17 AM

I hear the tags taste like chicken.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/11/16 08:07 PM

mikei posted Kill 'em, ear tags and all. But get them out of the breeding cycle!

Their testicles have already been cut so they are NOT breeding. That is what a bar hog is. He has been castrated. As a result of castration they will no longer fight with other boars for the breeding rights, and they will pack on a LOT of weight. Since they don't fight they often have very nice cutters on them. They have no interest in da wimmin pigs no mo. They just want to eat, sleep, and be left alone.. Kind of like most married men in their 50's. Fat & happy.
Posted By: Jon B

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/12/16 10:38 AM

I had a big sow show up several years ago with an ear tag. Caught her on camera then in a trap.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/12/16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalep
whats a bar hog?

i thought those came out when lights come at closing time
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Ear Tagged Hogs? - 09/12/16 09:28 PM

Castrated adult male. I think it's illegal to release even castrated pigs without some form of identification, and they must be released into an inspected and approved property. Sows cannot be relased at all and must be killed if caught. These aren't TP&W regs, they're TAHC regs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum