Texas Hunting Forum

Size estimate on big boar help

Posted By: charner

Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 02:49 AM

I have this guy knocking over my feeder, he knocked it over twice, now i have i staked down pretty good and he cant knock it over as easy, but he knocked the motor off and dumped 200# of corn out. i plan on trying to get him trapped and will post his actual wt, until then i would like some help with a good estimate. bottom of feeder barrel is just under 6' (i can almost stand under it at 6' tall) and the barrel is a 55 gal drum. these are the best pics i have of him right now and figure you guys can compare the drum to him pretty easily.

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 03:33 AM

Right around 200 give or take 25 lbs
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 11:11 AM

It's actually two hogs in a suit that looks like one, in order to get that feeder tipped one hog is on the shoulders of the other.

Pretty smart animals

I say 200 on the back hog and 150 on the front hog
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 11:57 AM

Assessing weight from pictures is routinely a misleading practice and so you aren't going get a good estimate. You may get a lot of speculation or ranges of weight. He big enough that some folks might even suggest there is more than one hog. clap

Based on the development of the hog, he is definitely a mature and large boar. That he can stand on his hind legs and knock off the motor is impressive.

Is there a reason you need to know the weight in advance? Do you have a weight limit on your trailer you are trying not to exceed?

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 01:27 PM

haha no on the trailer wt, wanting to make sure i get a trap door he will go through on a trap. So far he is the smartest pig out there i think
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 01:35 PM

Not sure on the weight, but he's a good sized boar. Words of wisdom, a $10.00 investment in T Post and bailing wire will stop him from tipping your feeder over. When you shoot him come back and tell us how much he weighed. If you canmt weigh him put a tape measure around his chest and you can get an estimate with this method.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 01:52 PM

139 1/4.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 02:20 PM

OK, since I was coronated the weight estimate champ for THF a while back, I will make my statement saying those of you who gave estimates are low by quite a bit. This ia a big chested, humpty hog that has some weight to him. He is not a huge hog, but he will easily go 250+ as he is long enough but his chest is thick enough to give him the extra weight over your typical juvenile hog. As DNS said, he is a mature boar. Only down side to him is it appears he has shorter legs in the pics, but I think this is a anomaly of the picture, as he is tall enough to reach 5.5' without fully stretching out, I think his legs are also thick and that makes him appear squattier than a normal lean pig.

I wouldn't even try to get him in a trap. I would shoot him and leave it at that. I think you are going to have frustration after frustration getting him in the trap, and then he may wreck it pretty good if he ever springs the trap. One bullet to the CNS column and he is down for the count. Better have a winch of something to haul him out though.

Of course this is all my opinion and is not directly or indirectly associated with THF, nor does THF endorse or agree with my opinion. clap

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 02:54 PM

buckeye, i sat out two nights in my blind, he had been coming every night, both nights he didnt show, but came the next few nights after i left. i guess he is skiddish and may be able to smell when im there... even when i drive my sxs to the feeder, he will still show up on camera a few hours later, just not if i am sitting in my blind. Im sick of waiting him out with a rifle. he has around 30 buddies that are smaller, im guessing all in the 100# range, but i need to get them all out soon so they will stop running off my deer. I plan on making a big corral trap and let them have full access for a week, then put the gate up.

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 03:46 PM

The corral trap is probably the way to go with him. Maybe even a large figure 6 trap. Problem with either is he may be able to climb out. Hard to say. I get you regarding the blind and him not coming. Wonder if he comes in down wind of the blind and that's why he isn't showing. You could maybe set up opposite one night and see if that does the trick. Never know. One thing to think about, build the corral around the feeder and just leave it up as usual. Might make him a little less skiddish about going in.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: charner
buckeye, i sat out two nights in my blind, he had been coming every night, both nights he didnt show, but came the next few nights after i left. i guess he is skiddish and may be able to smell when im there... even when i drive my sxs to the feeder, he will still show up on camera a few hours later, just not if i am sitting in my blind. Im sick of waiting him out with a rifle. he has around 30 buddies that are smaller, im guessing all in the 100# range, but i need to get them all out soon so they will stop running off my deer. I plan on making a big corral trap and let them have full access for a week, then put the gate up.

or get a cell camera. and wait for the txt.

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 05:11 PM

ya, ill put it around the feeder, i have pretty much just given that feeder to the pigs anyway to try and keep them from my others... I would love to put up a cell camera and a remote gate, however I am in no way prepared to put up the $ just to trap some pigs.

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 05:12 PM

any luck with a figure 6? should be easy while i wait for my gate to get built

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 05:18 PM

I have never done one. Only read about them, but seem east to set up. Could make one big enough to fit the feeder in too. And the panels would likely be used again for the corral. Just something to think about.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 06:18 PM

He is big. I always overestimate and am surprised when we actually do weigh one. He does look to be over 200lbs easy.

The most amazing part was him going up on his hind legs. I was not aware that they could do that when they were that big. Pretty impressive.

The biggest ones I have personally seen were in Baylor County. They grow them huge there. My son shot one with an arrow - perfect shot - and the hog just simply walked calmly away like it was just a nuisance to be shot with an arrow.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 07:32 PM

As already mentioned, it can be difficult to estimate the weight of a hog based on a few photos alone. But...that is clearly a mature Boar. If pressed for an answer I would say he will push 250 lbs.

When they 'fill out' to the point that they appear to have a very short (or no) neck, the legs look short and overall they have a blocky look to them, they will be pretty heavy.

They carry a lot of weight through the shoulders and neck. IF you get him on the ground...you might be surprised how thick he is through the shoulders (measured from one side to the other). I'd guess that one to be 14"-16" through the shoulders.

I doubt you'll trap him, but who knows? If you are seeing him on camera when you aren't there and NOT seeing him when you are there, it isn't coincidence. He KNOWS you are there.

He doesn't have to smell you (though that might be what is happening). He's been around long enough to just 'listen'. If he hears you drive in (anywhere on the property) then he knows you are there.

When approaching the bait site, I doubt he just strolls in. More likely he will 'stage' the area for a little while. Depending upon cover/terrain an alert Boar will often make a big half circle downwind of a bait site before approaching.

How far away are you setting up? If not at least 100 yds. you are too close (for THIS hog).

You'll need to shoot him or snare him. Good luck. Put a tape on him (Heart Girth Measurement) if you get him.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/06/16 07:40 PM

If that is a 55 gallon drum in the picture I am going to guess 250. He is a big pig for sure.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/23/16 05:50 PM

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/23/16 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: millerliteliker

The most amazing part was him going up on his hind legs. I was not aware that they could do that when they were that big. Pretty impressive.

I can assure you that pig is plenty athletic. I suppose folks imagine that large hogs perhaps 'waddle' around when they attain that size. But...trust me, they can run, jump, stand on their hind legs and climb over cattle panels....no problem.

I hope the OP will get a chance at him, but he didn't get that big by being stupid and boars generally don't stay in one place for very long.

Would love to see him taking a dirt nap.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/23/16 10:41 PM

Here's a picture of a hog that weighted 250 on a scale. Your hog looks wider but shorter.

Posted By: M Bennet

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/24/16 04:19 AM

Posted By: Wacm

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/24/16 04:22 AM

Yall did the typical money shot the is so deceiving. I can see she's not up against the hog. So I'm guessing 150 or so

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/24/16 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
Yall did the typical money shot the is so deceiving. I can see she's not up against the hog. So I'm guessing 150 or so

Disagree.

The lady is no more than a foot behind the Hog and the shot was not taken at a low angle to cause 'forced perspective'.

In fact, I consider this photo to be quite 'honest' and is a good representation of the animal.

The weight of a hog (unless scaled or taped) is a guess, some folks are better at that than others, but I don't see 200+ lbs. being unreasonable for that particular animal.

More important is that another hog has been taken out of the population.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 09/24/16 05:28 PM

225-250. It is hard to tell from pictures. Big hog for sure.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Size estimate on big boar help - 10/14/16 10:54 AM

The last big hog i got i posted on another site and had people guessing weight from the pic...many guessed 240- 250..when i got him to the scale he weighed 190...i even thought he would have been heavier since he was long and tall...hard to guess a pigs weight so i always under estimate rather than over.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum