Texas Hunting Forum

Pigs got lucky last night.

Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Pigs got lucky last night. - 08/27/16 06:55 PM

All but one anyway.

Had a pile of pigs at some corn I put in the slough on our deer lease. Stuck HCO cell camera on a tree guarding it.

The pigs came in super early (still daylight) and we managed to sneak in on them. Made a noise and they bolted. Decided to back out and let them come back. Knowing that the corn mud soup was to much to resist. Like we thought they came back after dark.

We walk back in there and and setup. I hit record on the dvr and it won't record. I monkey with it for a couple of minutes and decide hell with it lets shoot some pigs. As I am pulling my gun up my buddy sees they are bolting again and manages to get 2 shots off and hits a pig in the head. The lead was sticking out the other side. Pictures are in the video.

Pretty neat video. You can hear the pigs chomping their cutters.

Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Pigs got lucky last night. - 08/27/16 09:34 PM

cheers clap

: rifle rifle taz
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Pigs got lucky last night. - 08/28/16 03:48 AM

Good job ! Pretty freaky for the bullet to stop just short of exiting, did you happen to measure the expansion?

Betcha cut some tree limbs after that hunt wink
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Pigs got lucky last night. - 08/28/16 02:45 PM

The bullet was actually coming out backwards. As in it was tumbling inside the skull. The pedals of the expansion was just inside the skin. Got it out with some pliers. It had good expansion, he is going to weigh it to see how much weight it retained.

Yes definitely some trimming coming. Funny how you don't see things until it's dark and you trying to shoot through stuff.
Posted By: ktk120

Re: Pigs got lucky last night. - 08/29/16 12:18 AM

nice video
Posted By: Cooga Bear

Re: Pigs got lucky last night. - 08/29/16 02:54 PM

Here's a pic of the bullet. One of the "petals" came off, but they all expanded like they should have. It's a 62 gr Barnes TTSX. I've shot 3 pigs with it so far and all 3 dropped immediately. The next time I go to reload I'll weigh the bullet and measure the expansion of it. Gotta say it was pretty cool to see the bullet sticking out! I'm working on completing my 6.8 upper. Should be finished in a few weeks. I can't say enough about the accuracy of an ARP barrel. This .223 Wylde is just unreal. I got the same barrel just in a 6.8 cal for the new build.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum