Texas Hunting Forum

Photon XT 210lb hog down

Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 05:05 PM

I must have an unlimited supply of hogs in my area.

[Linked Image]

Been watching this boar the last few days while I have been out of town. A buddy and I gave it a dirt nap last night.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 05:15 PM

Nice job!

Looked like a head shot. No overpenetration? What caliber/bullet is your buddy shooting?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 05:16 PM

Nice shooting. Good one there to take out.

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 05:39 PM

I am using a 6.8 with Hornady 120ssts. As far as penetration it passed all the way through head.

My buddy's gun is using a 223 and reloads 62gr Barnes TTSX. His shot hit heart and didn't pass through. I am impressed with the Barnes on the 223, like with any bullet shot placement is key. Need to get him to reload some for me.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bornforit
I must have an unlimited supply of hogs in my area.

You probably do. It's like Blue Bell Ice Cream — no matter how many you shoot, they just keep making more.

But, keep after 'em anyway!

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 06:52 PM

I'm really surprised of the # of 200+ pound boars there are out there. Cant imagine them growing that fast. I imagine in less than a week another one will come looking for some trouble.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 07:08 PM

Great job.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 07:14 PM

Nice shooting - the blast made me jump laugh

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 07:37 PM

Hopefully it's not to loud. My suppressor isn't out of NFA jail yet. I turned the audio down quite a bit so it wouldn't be so loud.

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 07:49 PM

I am using a 6.8 with Hornady 120ssts. As far as penetration it passed all the way through head.

My buddy's gun is using a 223 and reloads 62gr Barnes TTSX. His shot hit heart and didn't pass through. I am impressed with the Barnes on the 223, like with any bullet shot placement is key. Need to get him to reload some for me.

Okay, cool. Didn't see a lot of exit wound damage that I was expecting, but that happens sometimes.

I'm really surprised of the # of 200+ pound boars there are out there. Cant imagine them growing that fast. I imagine in less than a week another one will come looking for some trouble.

The 200 lber we shot on Thursday night still had not erupted his 3rd molars through the gums. In fact, they were just breaking through the bone. That puts the hog at less than 18 months of age. They really can and do grow very fast.

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 08:01 PM

DNS - You know your stuff. We talked about doing an autopsy like you do. I will add looking at the teeth to the list for future ones. All I ever look at is there cutters to judge how long they have been around. This one was barely sticking out past the lips.

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 08:21 PM

Cutters grow at varied rates, so you are better off using tooth eruption and tooth wear, which involves opening the mouth, sometimes cutting it open. However, small cutters and whetters on both sides on a big hog will indicate it is younger, but how young can be hard to say. They should break through the gums at 10-12 months, but how fast they grow after that can be confusing because they don't grow at a consistent rate.

Cutting apart hogs is interesting, but you sort of have to have an interest, LOL.

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 09:05 PM

DNS, et al, I agree that these hogs can grow really quickly and have seen many a 175-225# boar in what I would consider the 1.5-2 yo age range. Many of the ones I have shot off my new place barely have any cutters growing and hardly ever a full set of teeth. They are not big bodied but just filling out their bodies from the abundance of plant growth from the abundance of rain we have had the last two years. I know there are more of them out there, just gotta catch them at the right time.

The one barrel chested hog I shot off the new place was short, if his compadre was as thick in the chest or the barrel chested one as long I wouldn't have been able to move either, but as they lay they were both in that approx. 225# category with the barrel chested one maybe a tad over.

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 09:06 PM

plus I think it takes a couple of years for a boar to have cods the size of the one you shot here...the younger ones don't have that much testosterone in them yet, at least based on my experience.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/10/16 10:58 PM

cheers

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/11/16 01:06 PM

Good info.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/11/16 05:14 PM

cheers cheers
rifle
Keep it up...
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Photon XT 210lb hog down - 08/11/16 06:47 PM

Hopefully it's not to loud. My suppressor isn't out of NFA jail yet.

You're not the only one. I'm just hoping my suppressor paperwork arrives in time to be a Christmas present.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum