Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Hunt with Gorman Ranches

Posted By: J.R.

Hog Hunt with Gorman Ranches - 07/25/16 01:55 PM

Booked a weekend hunt for myself & 2 good friends last weekend with Matt at Gorman Ranches. Matt was on-time, knew the activity at each blind & gave us solid advice all weekend. He worked hard to keep us on hogs & comfortable in the nice lodge/house on the ranch.

Friday evening I heard a shot from my friend's direction & Jim came over the handheld seconds later to say he "had a small one down off to his left". About an hour later, I hear another shot & the handheld comes alive again so Jim can say he's "got another small one down under the feeder". Not much later, I hear the corn-crunching of the raccoons under my feeder change to hog-crunching, so I light up the feeder with my red scope-mounted hog light & see a lone boar. I shut my light down to see if any more will come in, as I felt the boar was a tad small-ish and I wanted something larger. About 2 minutes later, I lit him up again and he was still alone, so I dropped him in his tracks and reported to Matt that I had "a small-ish hog down under the feeder, maybe 50-60 lbs". Jim and I were both wrong.

When Matt and I drove up on mine, I got a good reminder in how darkness can skew perspectives. Mine was a brown/black spotted and went 157 lbs. Jim's two black hogs went 170 and 176. Travis did not see any action Friday night.

Saturday, everyone was surrounded by deer & hogs, but the hogs were cautious about coming in due to the previous night's action. We could hear 'em, but not see 'em. Travis did get a shot at one, but missed.

Matt worked our hogs over in a matter of minutes while we started dinner Friday night & worked his tail off all weekend to make this a fun hunt. The lodge is roomy & comfortable, the blinds are sturdy & clean, the feeders all worked like they were supposed to, I saw nothing that I would have changed. Matt's a great guy & we'll definitely book with him again.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hog Hunt with Gorman Ranches - 07/25/16 03:23 PM

Good Review. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Hog Hunt with Gorman Ranches - 07/25/16 04:13 PM

Matt(JustCUZ) DOES put on a fun hunt. Congrats too ALL!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum