Texas Hunting Forum

What ammo should I use for hogs

Posted By: allan50

What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 07:07 PM

I have an Ar 15 and on the barrel it says 556 NATO 1/9 I use 55 grain at the range, but would like to use other ammo for hogs. I know placement is the key
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 07:08 PM

Federal fusion
Hornady SST
Or anything with Barnes

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 07:36 PM

What would be the best grain
Posted By: Red D

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 08:14 PM

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/i...ounds?a=1003689

75gr
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 08:42 PM

62-70 grain.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 08:44 PM

75 grain might not stabilize in a 1-9 inch twist.
Posted By: chalet

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/21/16 09:18 PM

Watch Palmetto's website. They run the Speer Gold Dot LE stuff on sale for $9.99/box plus free shipping if you buy 10 or more.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/speer-223-reminton-64gr-gold-dot-ammunition-20rds-24448.html
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 02:55 AM

I have shot up to 62 grns with the 1/9 twist, not moa but it will get in the kill zone. I am under the impression not to use above the 65 grn area for this twist.
Of course I don't have a fancy ar just a oly and bushy.
Posted By: Dien

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 02:49 PM

You have 30 rounds, just pick a bullet and light em up!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
75 grain might not stabilize in a 1-9 inch twist.

Actually, they should. I think the problem is that many claimed twist rates are not what is claimed and your 1:9 maybe closer to 1:10 or 1:8.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/
http://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/371861/How-Barrel-Twist-Rate-Affects-Ammunition-Choice

With that said, I would go with the heaviest bullet your gun will fire accurately and reliably and that expands. I would shy away from fmj you are hoping will fragment during tumbling and from target bullets (overly thin jackets).

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 06:01 PM

Thank's to everyone for the advice. I plan onlooking for different ammo this coming week since I will be hunting during August 5 and 6
Posted By: rickym

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 06:29 PM

Pick a couple to try and shoot what your gun likes best
Posted By: Alim

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 09:09 PM

Every hog I've killed with my AR has been with FMJ or tracers. Hit em in the neck area, and it doesn't matter.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/22/16 09:59 PM

77 gr matchking http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090124...ng-hollow-point [/url]

62 gr or 70 gr Barnes TSX [...free-box-of-20]
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/553835/...-free-box-of-20

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/23/16 06:32 PM

DNS advice is spot on, go with what your gun shoots best. It is better to have confidence in the shot (as you said, shot placement is key) than have a larger/heavier bullet that doesn't shoot consistently.

I shoot 55gr soft points out of my AR platform. I have dropped many a hog and some take a second (or third) shot to get them down. It's when I can get a good neck level CNS shot that drops them...when they are running after that first shot all bets are off, and that goes for virtually any bullet you could reliably shoot semiauto in that fashion.
Posted By: HOG RUSH

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/23/16 11:18 PM

Ok, I get "lit up" by the 300BLK and other caliber of the day snobs when I post my findings on this topic, but I am a gluten for punishment so here goes:

All I use for Hogs is a 5.56mm. I have personally killed over 3000 Hogs since 2010... with my operation totaling well over 3500. I have used ammo sent to me by companies who want to sponsor me. I have used ammo I think sux.

I have spent a lot of money researching doing real life Hogs kills and know what works.

I am self funded and do not have any douche companies holding me hostage and telling me what to say. I do not believe anything gun rags print on this topic. Perfect example would be the 300BLK turd.

I have killed Hogs at ten feet, broad side, head shot at 200 yds, running at 200 yds, running shots in the [censored], spine shots, through trees in a swamp, up hill, down hill, and any other situation you can imagine. If you use a 5.56mm and do not like to walk around after shooting,... trying to find the Hogs you shot, keep reading.

First off...
5.56mm only has so much case capacity for its small diameter projectile. naturally, the heavier you go on a bullet, the slower its going to be, given the same case capacity. Longer projectiles take up more space in the case taking up room where propellant could go. You can play around with different powders, but generally, heavier bullets = less velocity.

Velocity kills.

A 77gr SMK is not a consistent killer on hard targets like a Hog. Its thin jacket allows it to literally explode upon impact. When a projectile comes apart, it loses essential energy that is needed to create a temporary wound cavity. Temporary wound cavities kill. So disregard those who throw out random things they are repeating without actual field experience to back it up.

So, with all that said, which is my short essay on 5.56mm, you want:
Speed
slow barrel twist rate
bonded or thick jacket projectile.

With a 9 twist, I suggest 55 gr up to 62 gr.
Barnes is as advertised but I have found they lack the desired accuracy levels I require.

BTW, the 300 BLK is a turd of a cartridge for anything other than playing at the range shooting paper.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/24/16 12:34 AM

Interesting post HR
Although most guys by an AR in 223 thinking they are going to kill a whole sounder of pigs all at once, that just isn't the way it normally goes.
I have a Winchester 223 that I shoot the cheapo gray box Winchester 55 grain soft point bullets from.

The whole hunting process usually goes something like this:
Sit at feeder and wait for pigs.
Pig comes out
Put soft point bullet in pigs brain
Go pick up pig

Now I have only killed about 400 pigs doing this, and not the thousands as HR has, but the whole process is pretty simple.
I still like the guy that shows up looking like Inspector Gadget Goes to War, and wants to school me on ammo and ballistics with his XXL Supersonic-over-performance-nuclear-projected-plutonium-jacketed ammo and how awesome it is. Then I find out that he has killed two pigs only has only lost a few others.

I now use the same ammo in my AR that I occasionally use, same result, dead pig.

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/24/16 01:28 AM

Yes I have an AR and not looking to go out and try to kill numerous pigs with a 20 round clip.
The place I will be going next month will let me start Friday afternoon and leave Sunday at 12 pm and kill as many as I want. I just want two hogs and that is it. Not an expert here that is why I ask the questions I do

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/24/16 02:29 AM

Allan, shot placement is key. Take whatever bullet you want that's hoots the best in your weapon and place the bullets in the cns area behind the ears and you should be good to go aim
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/24/16 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Allan, shot placement is key. Take whatever bullet you want that's hoots the best in your weapon and place the bullets in the cns area behind the ears and you should be good to go aim

up
Posted By: Woj

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/24/16 02:15 PM

Yep. It's all about placement. Even a 10 year old girl can take down a 300+ lb boar at 90 yards with a well placed .223 55 Gr behind the ear. Proof.... my daughter MANY years ago. She tells you where she put the bullet.

Posted By: yotehater

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/24/16 04:54 PM

That's a great video there Woj
Posted By: tomgib1

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/26/16 01:13 AM

I have been shooting 55gr FMJ. They will kill with decent shot placement. I have not seen an significant improvement by using an NBT. We are killing about 40 pigs a night and going about once a week. The big ones can carry a lot of metal with them when you hit them outside the vitals. I know they die later but I like to see the end. Has anyone tried DMT terminal shock? I have two boxes to start with Wednesday night. I will let you know if it makes a difference.

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/26/16 02:03 AM

If you are killing that many hogs I want to go with you. I just want two or three for the freezer
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 01:20 AM

Ask Texas Lawman on here. He's done all the research. Watch his videos on you tube.

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 02:13 PM

So we went out Wednesday night. We had a great night. We knocked down about 30. We had a lot of large single boars on this trip. We shot Hornady Vmax, some incendiary rounds and a couple boxes of DRT Terminal shock. The incendiary rorounds did nothing special. The DRT terminal shock would blow a hole wherever it hit. It was impressive. However, it just transfers the energy to the animal in a different way than the VMax or a regular NBT. My conclusions have been that NBT or Vmax are better than a FMJ. That should be obvious. The DRT terminal shock was different in the way it transfers the energy. No better or worse than Vmax/NBT. I found that only one thing matters: Shot placement. You have to hit them in a place that will stop the big ones.
My recording system came in and I hope to get some footage on the next trip out.

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 02:59 PM

Tomgib1, where were you hunting? That's an awesome haul for a single night. And some good sized boars!

Good report on the ammo, and I concur with your final assessment, its all about shot placement.

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 05:31 PM

I understand about it is about shot placement and I always try and place the the shot behind the ear. But as everyone knows the hog can move at the last second or something else can go wrong. Taking two mags one with 62 grain and the other 55 grain

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 07:26 PM

Texas Buckeye, We have been hunting some milo fields South of Victoria. They have an infestation of hogs. The fields have been harvested so the hogs are hitting the remnants. I figure that we only have a few more weeks before they stop hitting the fields. If we could get some decent wind during the night, the killing would go up. I am hunting with IR Hunter Mark II's. Most fun I have ever had. We are going again at the end of next week. I bought a recording system from Ultimatenightvision. I plan on recording these in the future. Here was another nice one.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 07:46 PM

A lot of interesting posts here, and I'm glad to see them. I occasionally hunt hogs for the sport and for the meat, so I'm not yet up into the thousands grin But that said all I ever use are bolt guns in .223, or .223AI...tried a variety of bullets, all the well constructed ones do well, and as many have already said..its all about shot placement. Between the eye and the ear, or behind the ear. Never even came close to losing a hog.
Just thought Id log on and tell you guys its nice to hear I don't need a .338 Blackout Whizbang magnum. cool
Posted By: glocker17

Re: What ammo should I use for hogs - 07/29/16 07:46 PM

I have used mostly the Speer Gold Dot 64gr ammo and PRVI 75gr BTHP, both work decent. I abandoned both for the 300BLK, it tends to work better for me, particularly with the 110 Barnes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum