Texas Hunting Forum

Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 05:33 PM

Well, despite the temps cooling off some during the course of the night, but the time the hogs came in, I had my shirt sleeves rolled up, hat off, boots off, and I was still just trying to stay cool.

There was good, but limited sign. A wallow and then a total of three pics of hogs from the previous two nights on the game camera indicated that the potential was there for a good night. The only problem was that the hogs came a 21:20 one night and 04:30 the next night. I sent my wife a text that I may not be home until after sun-up.

For the next 5 1/2 hours, I saw one deer and a couple of rabbits. Then something hog-like zipped across the trail that leads down to the feeder from the hill. I didn't think it was a deer, too short, but wasn't certain it was a hog either. I had my rifle up and ready for him when he busted out of the woods and came down to the feeder, but he was only the scout...

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 06:22 PM

Damn... I wanted to see a recovered Accubond, close - so close smile

Nice job!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 06:24 PM

Good hog, good shooting, good video, good narrative, good job overall.

It sure is nice when the hog just drops in place.

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 06:29 PM

Sorry P_P, I tore up my hands cutting down some trees and could not risk hog blood on day old wounds. I had another bag of gloves stashed in the truck, but they had disappeared.

I need a metal detector.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 06:32 PM

Bang, flop.

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 07:25 PM

Yeah, no tracking means no crawling through the briar and poison ivy. Where the hogs came out of and where the piglets disappeared back into is just a thicket of big trees, saplings, poison ivy, and briar. There are game tunnel trails through the foliage you can crawl through to track animals, which I have done. It is just not a good idea to do, by yourself, in the dark. I won't do it now unless I hear the hog crash. If it running noise just stops, I am afraid it is just laying-up and resting, not at all dead.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/21/16 09:35 PM

Nice video DNS!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/22/16 12:56 AM

Another great video and good shooting.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Sounder Scout and a Downed Sow - 07/22/16 01:57 AM

up up up

rifle taz
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum