Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Hunting State Laws

Posted By: Carlton

Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/16/16 08:51 PM

Would love to hear some input on this situation! We have hog hunters that come to our ranch year round, but do they need a hunting license? If the hogs are depredating, could that be an exception? Below, I have quoted the exact statement made on TPWD website. If we had our hunters sign a "Day Lease" during their hunt could they be considered a lessee? Please leave a comment with your thoughts!

Exceptions
A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land[/b].

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/16/16 08:56 PM

Best thing you can do is call a game warden or TPWD.

I would think if they are coming to hunt then they need a license. If they lived on the land and were killing hogs to prevent them from destroying THEIR crops then I'd say no license.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/16/16 09:50 PM

Are they harvesting meat?
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/16/16 10:51 PM

Are you hunting over corn ?
Taking meat ?
Pretty much hunting

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/16/16 11:00 PM

You can use attractants in depredation hunting, but you can't take any resources away, at least that is what I got from the Tarrant County game warden. So you can take pics, but no meat, hides, tusks, etc.

Of course, I have a feeling that if you are leasing the place to hunt, then you have to have a lease license and therefore the hunters will have to have hunting licenses.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 12:32 AM

Yes we are hunting over corn and most of the time we let them lay.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 12:49 AM

Nice pig picture there Carlton.

Here is the way I look at it:
Basic cost of hunting,
$50-$100 gas to get to and from hunting location
$100-$500 cost of day lease
$1000-$1500 crazy rifle with insane scope and gizmos that would make Inspector Gadget envious
$1000-$1500 Night vision, thermal stuff and a bag full of tricks (could be $4000-$5000)
$100 for corn, beer, ammo and other necessities
$25 basic hunting license

The cheapest part of hunting is the license, just have your hunters get a basic license and don't sweat the small stuff.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 02:02 AM

It's not $25 for the majority of our hunters which are non residents of Texas.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 02:49 AM

Ah. Paying license fees is like paying taxes, it is a grueling issue for out of state hunters. Most of our out-of-staters get the $48-5 day license, some have to get the full license at >$300.
I am still amazed at how much guys are willing to pay to come to Texas to hunt pigs.
I hate to hear "call your local GW" I seems as though they are all going to have a different answer to the same question, a necessary evil.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 11:48 AM

What are they depredating besides the corn you sling to attract them?
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 12:29 PM

One thing for sure, the Game Warden will not issue a ticket for having a licens. I would not risk looseing my gear and a big fine even over a $300 licens. The licens is a part of the cost of hunting.

Just my opinion of cource.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 04:12 PM

Your web site offers hog hunting vs. hog depredation. Also, I'm assuming your clients take meat and skulls for trophy mounts.

So I'd bet the game wardens would write a ticket for someone who shoots a pig with no license at your ranch.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 05:47 PM

You must not be aware of the damages that can be caused by hundreds of hogs.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Carlton

I'm very aware of the damage hogs cause. We shot over 100 last year on our lease. We shoot hogs on the spot even if we're deer hunting. I was simply pointing out you advertise Hog hunting on your website. The state requires a license when you hunt hogs.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 07:40 PM

We are still "hunting" hogs that are "depredating". That's why I am asking for people's opinions.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 07:51 PM

Do you have a lease license?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 08:00 PM

I wouldn't do it. If I was a game warden or judge you can clearly see you are a hunting operation and that you are trying to cut corners by not paying the state. I personally dont care but a state employee like a judge or GW is most likley not going to allow this for a bunch of out of state hunters. What are you going to do if you tell them they dont need licenses and they get busted? I think you would be responsible for the screw up and would get sued for the fines and legal fees.

This sounds like a bad idea to me!

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Are you talking about a lease license for folks who lease their property?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Your web site offers hog hunting vs. hog depredation. Also, I'm assuming your clients take meat and skulls for trophy mounts.

So I'd bet the game wardens would write a ticket for someone who shoots a pig with no license at your ranch.

This up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Ah. Paying license fees is like paying taxes, it is a grueling issue for out of state hunters. Most of our out-of-staters get the $48-5 day license, some have to get the full license at >$300.
I am still amazed at how much guys are willing to pay to come to Texas to hunt pigs.
I hate to hear "call your local GW" I seems as though they are all going to have a different answer to the same question, a necessary evil.
I am amazed about how much people pay to hunt period.

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Are you talking about a lease license for folks who lease their property?

Yep, Carlton says it is his ranch and that he is charging hunters to come. That would require having a lease license. There are an amazing number of folks who do not get lease licenses.

Here is the info... https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/licenses/media/PWD%20850%20Hunting%20Lease%20Info.pdf

So if you are running a hunting operation, bringing in sport hunters on short term leases, then you end up with the situation Bigfoot describes where it really sounds like everyone needs a license. Plus you are not depredation hunting if you take meat, hide, or other parts. You are meat hunting or trophy hunting and that does require a license of the shooter.
Posted By: n2Deer

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I wouldn't do it. If I was a game warden or judge you can clearly see you are a hunting operation and that you are trying to cut corners by not paying the state. I personally dont care but a state employee like a judge or GW is most likley not going to allow this for a bunch of out of state hunters. What are you going to do if you tell them they dont need licenses and they get busted? I think you would be responsible for the screw up and would get sued for the fines and legal fees.

I second this
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: n2Deer
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

I second this

"Sign here....press hard, three copies....." woot
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/17/16 09:56 PM

From speaking to game wardens, you should expect to be asked specifically what the hogs were doing at the time they were shot.

If they were in your barn with their snouts in your feed sacks, no license needed.
If they were rooting up your pasture, no license needed.
If they were walking across your pasture, or getting a drink at your stock tank, they're not causing depredation so a license is required.
Eating some corn you deliberately threw out in order to attract hogs so that you could shoot them? Need a license.

OTOH, the wardens with whom I've spoken say there's nothing in the regs that prohibits taking meat from a hog that was shot while causing depredation.

YMMV IANAL MTFBWY
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/18/16 04:38 AM

Honestly anyone that hunts my land will have a valid DL and hunting license.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/18/16 04:39 AM

Nice boar in the pic
Posted By: hcranch

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/18/16 08:40 PM

Yes they need a license. They a coming to your land to hunt for pleasure.they are not leasing land from you to plant crops.they do not work for you.so they are not employees of your operation. You must have a lease license from Texas parks and wildlife. Non resident must have a $48.00 5 day non game license. I ran into this when I started my place
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/18/16 09:01 PM

This question was addressed on last weeks "Lone Star Law". Need a license and not worth the hassle was what I took away from it.
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/20/16 02:04 AM

Just get the license
Posted By: lms

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/22/16 02:42 AM

Leave it to a judge and you will pay a fine, play it safe and have them buy a license.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hog Hunting State Laws - 07/24/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Carlton

This was aimed at me, so I'll respond. I'm very aware of what hogs can do. If they're so bad they're causing you financial losses maybe you should pay people to kill them instead of charging hunters to hunt them? If not, you're just hunting them for sport and meat. I take care of my own problem pigs, and I also have a license. It's cheap insurance.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum