Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Cleaning Tip

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Hog Cleaning Tip - 06/20/16 07:48 PM

Wash your hands with Dawn Dish soap before you gut your hog. This will keep the ticks off you. I carry a small bottle in my bag and do a quick wash before I pull the guts out.

No ticks on me...
Posted By: ELKMTB

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 06/21/16 01:14 AM

You have bigger problems if they have ticks in their guts
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 06/21/16 02:16 AM

I always wear gloves, I spray the hog with rubbing alcohol before I gut it seems to take care of ticks and fleas. A big hog will take 2 bottles of alcohol but at a dollar or less a bottle it's worth it.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 06/21/16 05:14 PM

I'll be sure and let the buzzards know your secret... cheers
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 06/23/16 02:49 PM

I wear gloves and don't bother with gutting them. clean them from the back to the front. Not really wasting any meat there.
Posted By: JustCUZ

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 07/01/16 09:50 AM

Same here. Gloves. No gutting.
I hang them up by their jaw and skin them from the neck down.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 07/01/16 02:52 PM

It's good to see people actually eat m on here. My last boar had 2inches of fat and absolutely no nasty flavor. Last night I cut and pounded some pork loin dropped it into oil and onion and garlic. Browned it up and added quinoa and chicken stock. Made a super healthy meal for so cheap. There's people in the city spending big money for grass fed beef. Then there's people killing pigs and leaving them. Man they are so good. I think they are better then whitetail if you really commit yourself to taking good care of the meat. It's better then anything in the store.
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 07/01/16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
I'll be sure and let the buzzards know your secret... cheers

Exactly my thoughts!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: lms

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 07/01/16 06:14 PM

I agree with the meat being better than store bought.
Posted By: DavidK

Re: Hog Cleaning Tip - 07/03/16 12:17 AM

I always wear gloves, but I think the issue with ticks is getting on you if you rub up against the hog anytime you get to the processing.

I also don't gut them unless it's a really fat/big sow that might have some decent ribs. I rarely take the front shoulders because there isn't much meat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum