Texas Hunting Forum

Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT

Posted By: waverider

Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 03:14 PM

The first trip out with a Sitemark Photon XT was a good one. I had been hunting with a standard optical scope and green light, but I was tired of spooking pigs with the shadows from the light.

The first boar walked out of the dense brush @ 114yds. I dropped him in his tracks with a 223 Barnes VOR-TX 55 gr TSX

A second boar showed up 30 min later and did't appear to care that the first one was laying close by. I dropped him in his tracks @ 105yds with a 223 Barnes VOR-TX 55 gr TSX

I sat around another hour with no additional activity.

First impressions of the Photon XT are really positive.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 03:29 PM

Good job! Your nights will never be the same.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 03:30 PM

DRT, good job, I use the 62 gr. SP in my 223.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 04:01 PM

And the addiction begins... lol444
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 06:11 PM

223 Barnes VOR-TX 55 gr TSX - very good bullet!
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 06:15 PM

What's your IR source?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 06:21 PM

Nice going. Pretty soon you'll be setting your alarm for four ayem when the moon is in the third quarter.

Don't ask me how I know . . . partyon555
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 06:33 PM

I mounted my Photon on my kids .243. It does get kinda addicting. Now you can see what that green light didn't show you! I had heard the weren't much good past about 100 yards but I have a feeder 156 yards from where I shoot(back porch) and I can see find past the feeder. Work great in the moonlight.
Posted By: waverider

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pootie
What's your IR source?

I went with the Armasight XLR-IR 850

http://www.armasight.com/illumination/illuminators-markers-beacons/armasight-xlr-ir850

The mount that it comes with isn't great, so I mounted it in a different mount that is fully adjustable so you can aim the beam exactly where you want it.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 07:00 PM

Ahhhhh a sightmark photon thread, how refreshing banana

Good job on bringing home the bacon
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 09:55 PM

I love my Photon. For the money they are very hard to beat.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Bmnloader
I mounted my Photon on my kids .243. It does get kinda addicting. Now you can see what that green light didn't show you! I had heard the weren't much good past about 100 yards but I have a feeder 156 yards from where I shoot(back porch) and I can see find past the feeder. Work great in the moonlight.

My experience is that they work great when there's moonlight. With at least a quarter moon I can see half a mile over a clear pasture. Can't see anything in the shadows, of course, without illumination. The built-in illuminator on my 'old' Photon 3.5X is good out to at least 80 yards with no moon, probably a little more. What I really enjoy is getting out before dawn. About an hour before the sun comes up the sky starts getting lighter, and even though I can barely see my hand in front of my face, the light from the predawn sky gives me a view of several hundred yards. Plenty enough to see hogs that are out in the open and stalk them in the dark.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/25/16 11:27 PM

Congrats on the pigs.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/26/16 01:18 PM

Good job!
The Photons just work and keep working - really refreshing compared to some other "here, beta test this crap for us" stuff out there.
My old Photon 5X has been taking pigs for years and I expect it to continue.
Running a Evola IR with adjustable focus and power, I can see a lot further than I feel comfortable shooting at night.
You can pick up the Evola IR off ebay for under 50 bux and it works as well as some of the 200+ dollar Illuminators.
Posted By: remman

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/26/16 09:37 PM

Great feedback! I just got a Photon and looking to take it out in a few weeks hog hunting. I'm even more encouraged by your hunt and what others are saying.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 05/27/16 01:55 AM

good job waverider get ready to start losing sleep. I use the Evola IR on mine and it works great.
Posted By: ptlmg

Re: Two Boars Down with Sitemark Photon XT - 06/11/16 07:46 PM

Love my photon xt 4.6. I have several hogs down with it. Good job with the pork.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum