Texas Hunting Forum

Total Energy Conversion in Cisco

Posted By: hetman

Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/25/16 03:47 AM

Just got back from our lease outside Cisco. Weather was great , but there was still a LOT of mud to deal with.

Wife wanted to go turkey hunting Saturday morning , but I had already limited out on turkeys for the year. So I sent her off to turkey hunt and I went to do my favorite pastime outside of Deer & Turkey season. Pig Hunting!!!!

Since Deer season ended I moved a tripod & feeder to a swamp area. Setup feeder on a strip of land between 2 ponds it acts as a funnel for pigs and deer etc etc

About 8:30 AM Saturday I had a medium size pig hit the feeder. Started scoping the pig trying to setup a neck shot and something spooked him a little. Not sure if it was me or something else as he spun around and was looking and facing in a different direction than where I was . unfortunately this put some brush between me and where I wanted to place a round in his neck. SO I put a round as close to the back of the left front leg as I could. waited about 10 min and went to follow up on this pig and found this blood splashed on a tree about 5 foot from where he was standing but no pig just a good blood trail.

Started following the Blood trail and I hear pigs grunting , looked up and here come 5 more pigs directly at me out of the broom weed. First one pops out @ 20 yards and I put a round thru him length wise with a AR10 . He spins and goes off on a tangent and the rest of the group are going PIG Crazy trying to get away. I didn't see it but it sounded like one of them ran right over a dead tree and broke it down. Started looking for my pigs and found both of them within 20yards of each other.

This is pig #1 shot thru the side:

This is pig #2 shot lengthwise thru the body:

Pig# 2 seems to have had his Ear almost chewed off at some point:

Took Pig #2 back to camp to pull the Quarters and Back strap off and while skinning him found one of my 150grain rounds under the skin of his butt. Bullet went in by his left ear -clipped the front shoulder(trashed it) traveled diagonally the length of the pig and came to rest under the skin of his butt on the right side.

The round is a .308cal 150grain Winchester PowerPoint shot out of a 16inch AR10. Bullet mushroomed perfectly & stayed together. Weighed it on my bullet scale when I got home tonight and it scaled out @ 115grains - it shed 35grains bouncing the length of the pig. Base of the bullet was still perfectly round and slid in a empty case perfectly. This is the first bullet I have recovered from a pig and I was impressed with the performance of the Winchester PowerPoint. It did a total energy dump on that pig . Pig made about 10yard before it dropped Stone Cold dead . no twitching no nothing just Dead.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/25/16 11:34 AM

Good job!
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/25/16 12:46 PM

Good read... up
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/25/16 12:59 PM

Good shooting and nice write up.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/25/16 07:10 PM

Nice work. Getting two hogs in daylight is definitely good!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/26/16 01:56 AM

Great story...never heard of one being shot lengthwise. I always wondered the result with a shot in the OK bullseye.

Charlie

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/26/16 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Great story...never heard of one being shot lengthwise. I always wondered the result with a shot in the OK bullseye.

Charlie

I was really impressed with the Winchester PowerPoint 150grain ammo, that was better than 36 inches of penetration and trashing the front left quarter & still retain 115grains of the original 150grain bullet. Just a Total Energy dump in that pig. You really can't ask a bullet to work too much better. I bet if I was using FMJ military Ammo it would have exited.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/26/16 03:05 AM

What a hunt great shooting
Used the ol Texas heart shoot on one ,worked pretty good

rifle taz taz

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/27/16 12:10 PM

Any Idea what bit the chunk out of pig #2 ear: dog /coyote or another Boar?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/27/16 12:26 PM

Nice story....great report on the round... up
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/27/16 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

Charlie

I was always a bit reluctant to take the 'Texas Heart Shot', but I had hit this hog in the front leg, shooting too low to hit the body. He started running, but pulled up just before getting into some trees. He turned away, and I was afraid that he might suddenly decide to go into the woods if I waited. I figured half a hog was better than none, so I shot him in the butt!

You can see the entry wound in the right ham, and the exit in the middle of the left side. The bullet in this case was a Hornady 150 grain SP — pretty similar to the Winchester Power Point the OP used.

Actually, there was a reasonable portion of the right ham that was salvageable — I mostly used it for stew and sausage.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 04/27/16 06:47 PM

Yep, thanks for the info and pics!! And congrats!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 05/05/16 03:28 AM

cheers
Posted By: Prewitt

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 05/06/16 09:36 PM

are you north or south of Cisco

Re: Total Energy Conversion in Cisco - 05/09/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Prewitt
are you north or south of Cisco

Off HWY6 & CR104 past the Lake Cisco Spillway/Dam
Posted By: Prewitt